Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,439,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Of course you changed the topic right away...
How exhaustive of a thread could we have just talking about the "Italian Chipotle" moving into Pittsburgh? I thought talking about other Columbus-area restaurants that may also make the leap here would also be relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,595,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Graeter's is the real thing if what you want is French Pot ice cream. It is a denser texture, a different thing than Hagaan Daz.

Also, I don't know where you are getting your ingredients from (maybe they ship something different), but I looked through all the flavors on this list and saw no corn sugar used except when it was something put into the ice cream (i.e. Oreo cookies).
These guys are objecting to the gums and other stabilizers/emulsifiers, as well as any wacky sweeteners.

I know why they put that stuff in there. Clearly they aren't using such things to make the ice creams cheaper. People routinely prefer the "mouth feel" of the stuff that includes the guar or locust bean gums or tapioca starch or whatever. But it could be done without those and seem more pure to some of us.

That said, Jeni's salty caramel is good enough to me that I'll get a cone when I go to Columbus. But I won't pay 10 freakin bucks for a pint. I can make some for a few bucks basically, maybe not that flavor but some good flavor.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM

29,700 posts, read 34,246,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
How exhaustive of a thread could we have just talking about the "Italian Chipotle" moving into Pittsburgh? I thought talking about other Columbus-area restaurants that may also make the leap here would also be relevant.
Since the thread has devolved into picking nits, Graeter's and Skyline are both from Cincinnati, not Columbus. Frankly, I think some things should stay regional. There are too many homogenized chains all over already.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,858,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Jeni's salty caramel is good enough to me that I'll get a cone when I go to Columbus. But I won't pay 10 freakin bucks for a pint.
I had some kind of chocolate ice cream of hers once at Dozen. It was utterly indistinguishable from any other chocolate ice cream I'd ever eaten. To say I was underwhelmed is to misunderexaggerate the matter entirely.

Ten dollars a pint? Ass, hold on, for I am about to laugh you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Since the thread has devolved into picking nits, Graeter's and Skyline are both from Cincinnati, not Columbus.
I didn't know about Graeter's, but when I looked at Skyline's website, well, there was that telltale chili on spaghetti.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM

29,700 posts, read 34,246,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I didn't know about Graeter's, but when I looked at Skyline's website, well, there was that telltale chili on spaghetti.
I prefer Gold Star, myself.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,595,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I had some kind of chocolate ice cream of hers once at Dozen. It was utterly indistinguishable from any other chocolate ice cream I'd ever eaten. To say I was underwhelmed is to misunderexaggerate the matter entirely.

Ten dollars a pint? Ass, hold on, for I am about to laugh you off.
They obviously put some care into selecting ingredients, ya know, including local milk etc etc. And that makes it more expensive. Plus, we all know these stores are expensive for many things (Giant Eagle, McGinnis Sisters, oh I think they have some at Whole Foods too). And the packaging seems more elaborate which I'm sure drives up the cost, probably in the name of trying to make it taste the same as when you get it at North Market.

But all that doesn't necessarily add up to universal acclaim, for sure. I have no idea about other flavors; the only flavor I've ever eaten is salty caramel. That works for me, but I don't have a lot of similar flavors from other places to compare it to, and I've never tried to make something similar at home.

You know one more thing about ice cream, it's like pizza and stuff where everyone remembers and loves their favorite local stuff even when it might not be all that.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,749,531 times
Chocolate ice cream is often what gets the rework from all the other flavors.

$10 a pint would be cheap for the "Chill glorious ice creams" that are showing up in Harrisburg area, sans contact information or milk plant number.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM

10,223 posts, read 16,773,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
sounds like garbage, pasta bowls?

Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,490,917 times
Just an update: Piada has decided on a location at Forbes and Meyran in Oakland. I imagine they will do well with the University crowd.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCyiYYhyGpP/

Old 03-14-2016, 07:07 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,106,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Just an update: Piada has decided on a location at Forbes and Meyran in Oakland. I imagine they will do well with the University crowd.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCyiYYhyGpP/
Italian Chipotle? I expect long lines including all walks of 'burghers. Not just the University crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh