Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 PM

122 posts, read 194,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Yikes! The floor guys left all the heavy stuff on my front porch. Hope the predictions are wrong. No way I can move any of that stuff tonight. It's almost 10pm now and still quite calm.
first wave is supposed to get here around 12:30 - 1:30. Then 2nd wave between 4 am 5 am.

Derecho can also mean straight depending on the context. In this case, Derecho stands for straight line winds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
I am watching (on TV) the San Francisco Giants play the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park as I type this and there is no rain or severe weather. Still, it is good to be ready. Maybe it is just delayed by a day or so, but hopefully does not happen at all.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
first wave is supposed to get here around 12:30 - 1:30. Then 2nd wave between 4 am 5 am.

Derecho can also mean straight depending on the context. In this case, Derecho stands for straight line winds.
Thanks for clarifying. I sure hope the forecast is wrong. I also hope my porch will be spared. El Nino in the dining room was plenty for me. Had to move out for three weeks while the walls were fixed and the floors repaired and refinished.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Duh, yeah, I am really worried. Oh my, we better go shopping. The sky is falling as usual, with the dumb media. Doesn't it ever get old? Goodness!

Derecho Storm in Charleston, WV on June 29th, 2012 - YouTube

Check out the stop sign at 2:10 in the video above. Can see tree's getting ripped out of the ground behind it.

These are actually pretty bad. The power could easily be out in and around Pittsburgh for the better part of a week.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM

441 posts, read 766,341 times
From the National Weather Service Twitter:

Quote:
10:42pm - Doppler radar indicated rotation on a cell entering Coshocton Cty and a #tornado warning has been issued. Take Shelter now!!
You can see the cell they're talking about on the radar. If it stays on its current track, then it's going to hit Allegheny County.

BTW, the Pittsburgh NWS Twitter is very useful during severe weather events.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times
I was on the Megabus heading eastbound on I-68 from DC to Pittsburgh during last year's derecho. That was such a harrowing experience, I even took a screen shot of the radar showing the storm as it approached because of how terrifying it looked on the radar. I remember seeing practically every other car on the highway pull over as the storm rolled over us, but our driver just kept right on trucking...

Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Just got off the phone with my friend who grew up in tornado country and she calmed me down. Now I understand the newcomers to CA after they experience their first earthquake. I haven't experienced anything here yet and I was freaking out!

My son is in Illinois now where the storm is passing and he says it's not that bad and that the news there is saying that the worst of it is over. Of course he could be making this up so I won't worry.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
You can see the cell they're talking about on the radar. If it stays on its current track, then it's going to hit Allegheny County.
I see that. Looks like it might go a little south of Allegheny, but you can never really tell. Also, sometimes those things change as they go so the strong part could weaken and it could get stronger elsewhere. The BIG thing coming is what is still over Michigan and Indiana right now. That'll take a few hours yet. It's a HUGE line of pretty strong (though not quite Coshocton strong) storm.

Tornado watch is over and now we have PDS (Potentially Damaging Storm) severe thunderstorm watch.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
My son is in Illinois now where the storm is passing and he says it's not that bad and that the news there is saying that the worst of it is over. Of course he could be making this up so I won't worry.
In Illinois the worst is over. Dunno about how bad or not it is. Sounds like trees and power lines, maybe not too severe though.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,207 times
That line of storms in the western part of ohio is a nasty bow echo. Everyone be safe back home. It should blow pretty hard around 4 or 5 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh