Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 06:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I will be leaving sometime next year, maybe by fall 2014. I'm well established here and it's difficult to just pack up and move. But I need to experience something new, especially a different climate. The weather here is lousy and depressing. This June has been mediocre at best. I love the 4 seasons, but what's there to enjoy with over 150+ days of rain and 200+ overcast days in a year? I know some people don't mind it and some people actually love the weather here. That's great for you! Maybe I'll appreciate it more one day but sorry 45% annual sunlight just doesn't cut it anymore. Way too grim
I do think you need to get out of this place. If you feel the weather is depressing and even mention June as being mediocre, this is no place for you. I am not sure where you will go that will be better. Some of the best weather is in Southern CA, IMHO. It really is hard to beat, but it is expensive, crime and crowded. Probably no more crime than here though. Good luck. I think it will be a tough go for you. This spring has been just amazing for myself, but everyone is different. I love the outdoors and just don't mind clouds. It is easier on my skin and eyes without sun all the time. Oh, and I lived in Miami/Orlando/Sarasota for about 8 years total. I know sunshine. Miami and Sarasota have really good weather if you like sunshine a lot.

Sometimes I do wonder if some folks should just be on antidepressants, that would complain about this June weather though. I do feel that isn't normal and might need addressed. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 AM

312 posts, read 732,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I'm jumping ship this fall myself. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh all my life and never really enjoyed living here. I've been to Portland, Oregon three times already and I love it there. It fits my lifestyle and intrerets better. Our winters are rough here too (I'll take the rain and clouds over snow, ice and frigid temperatures anyday.)

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it is when you get there....we love Seattle/Bremerton area and thought ALOT about moving there....the cost of living is very high in Seattle but it is gorgeous....the one thing stopping us at the moment is that I am an only child and my mom is on the east coast and a bit older now....but someday too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just know it is a completely different world and city feel than Pittsburgh.......I always felt that Pittsburgh is more of a large "town" than a city....just the folks I suppose make it feel that way..............anyway, I am rambling..........best wishes to you!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 AM

312 posts, read 732,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Job situation.. You can't just pack up and move until you have a job lined up somewhere else. I am thinking down south. Heat and humidity don't bother me though. I don't mind the occasional gloomy day and 2012 wasn't too bad, but every other year seems to be way too gray.

Atlanta might be your cup of tea if you like the south and do not mind the horrible humidity.....I am thinking that Raleigh and Charlotte might feel a little like Pittsburgh to you.....they are nice but not sure if they are for a young guy.....Atlanta is hip and fresh and at your age, I do not think the weather and traffic would be too bad................good luck! If anything else, in the fall, visit Atlanta.......it is a fantastic city!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
I'm a non-native, so my perspective will be different, but I went to Pitt for undergrad and absolutely loved the city--really soaked it in during my four years there. I went back to Philly for law school but would have been happy to return if I had gotten a good job offer, but since my only good offer was in Philly, I'll probably be tied up there for at least a few years more (unless I clerk after graduation, but that's a crap-shoot). I love both cities equally, so I'm not dissatisfied with my placement. Maybe I'd be a little less frustrated if I felt my hand weren't "forced," you know? Another big motivating factor for me is the fact that my long-term girlfriend finds Philly a bit big and impersonal, and I feel Pittsburgh would be a good compromise between my native city and hers (Minneapolis).

As it stands, I visit friends in the city ~3 times a year anyway, so I can at least keep "quasi-current" with the ole PGH scene. I'm happy to see it's continued flourishing in my absence!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 AM

733 posts, read 987,267 times
That's funny, HeavenWood. I could see myself moving out to Phili at some point in the distant future, and I always thought that Minneapolis would be a pretty cool place too. You guys are doing something right.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I'd go with Minneapolis myself, but some people have a real problem with the cold winters there.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'd go with Minneapolis myself, but some people have a real problem with the cold winters there.
I've heard good things about Minneapolis. I considered it for relocating for about a minute. Pittsburgh winters are about as extreme as I'm willing to do. Otherwise I would have checked it out.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 AM

733 posts, read 987,267 times
Yes, I like winter, but I'm not sure that I would love Minneapolis Winter, haha. That's one point against Minneapolis.

I have some family and friends on the East Coast too, so that's one point towards Philadelphia.

Not that it really matters, since I don't see myself leaving PGH any time soon, anyways haha.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
cold is fine. Flatness is not (for a skier anyway!)

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Best of luck to you! Let us know how it is when you get there....we love Seattle/Bremerton area and thought ALOT about moving there....the cost of living is very high in Seattle but it is gorgeous....the one thing stopping us at the moment is that I am an only child and my mom is on the east coast and a bit older now....but someday too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just know it is a completely different world and city feel than Pittsburgh.......I always felt that Pittsburgh is more of a large "town" than a city....just the folks I suppose make it feel that way..............anyway, I am rambling..........best wishes to you!!!
Seattle is a big city, Pittsburgh is more Portland scale - more a big town, as someone said in a recent post. Housing in Seattle is more spendy, but there's no state income tax in WA, and property tax is no more scary than Pgh. If you can afford somewhere to live, it's not CA-style expensive. Maybe even less than PA.

I understand your mom issue. We're heading back to Sydney for my wife's father's 80th birthday next month. parents don't get any younger unfortunately. We talked a lot about moving here (12 years ago) and our parents would've had it no other way. At least that's what they told us. It's one of those trade-offs that everyone has to make personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh