Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 AM

43 posts, read 150,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma67 View Post
His family never traveled, both his parents NEVER leave Pa except to visit us in NC...and that was a huge accomplishment. Our wedding was in Cannonsburg and you would have thought it was in Florida with all the comments I had about how far it was from Beaver County. They even took test drives to get there they were so nervous about it. My husband thanks me every day for opening up his eyes to traveling and seeing the world and not being stuck in one county for the rest of his life. I just dont think thats healthy to not have any desire to see the world...or even the next county over

That's kind of my blanket stereotype of Pittsburgh; maybe less for the younger generations but overall it feels like a bubble. Good idea about the test drive, though. You never know what roads will be shut down each day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
^^Just saw this post and had to go back and look through the thread, was surprised to see I'd posted previously w/o commenting on the quoted post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Glad to hear that your life in Charlotte has worked out well! I grew up in Beaver County and knew many people like your husband's family. Where in Beaver County was he from?
I grew up in Beaver County too and also knew many people like that family. My mom was from Wisconsin, so we'd go there occasionally to visit. I was one of a few people of my acquaintance who'd ever been that far away. A few years ago a friend's daughter married a guy from Pittsburgh who is from that type of a family, too, so some things never change.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM

147 posts, read 182,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The only problem I'm having with finding somewhere to move is our cost of living is super low.
Any tips on keeping the cost of living super low?

Would like to know what your budget is per month to live.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM

43 posts, read 150,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
More vaguely interesting Pittsburgh survey results for the nay sayers to punch holes in:

Pittsburgh Ranked Smartest City in America - The 412 - June 2013

Me, I'm off for some caffeine, to read the newspaper and have an intelligent conversation with a randon person in a library coffee shop

I don't know...the Huff doesn't list Pittsburgh. I do enjoy all the museums and use the library system quite a bit, though. And I do get the Trib!!

Smartest Cities In America: Stanford, Calif. Named Sharpest City By Lumosity

I do hate these surveys overall and get tired of people quoting Pittsburgh as the most "livable" city because of that 2011 survey. Every time I hear it I think of those beer ads for most "drinkable" beer.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Next: Top 10 cities to go fly a kite!

Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
What made you decide to leave Pittsburgh and how did it turn out? Happy with the move? Did something draw you back to the Burgh?
I've taken extended leaves of absence for work, but I can't say I've ever really moved away....although the option was always there. I'm in my mid 30's and I'm starting a family, and though neither myself nor my fiance look at this region with rose colored glasses like so many do, we stay because it's what we're used to.

Neither she nor I have the typical family support network like so many true yinzers do. My family is scattered all over the country. Some of them are still in the area, but it's not a close family at all. I personally only hear from a family member if they want something from me, and I just sort of keep my distance. Members of my family that do stay in touch always fight with one another, and I just don't want any parts of that. Her family isn't as extreme in that regard as mine, but they're similar in that there's no such thing as "gatherings" or "family events" in her family.

My business is of the property maintenance variety, and I could do it anywhere....However, over the years I've grown a significant and reliable customer base in the area. My fiance is a stay at home mom. I make enough to support us comfortably, and growth in the business is incredibly slow....but steady. Sure, it could be a lot more somewhere else, but at this point in the game it comes down to uprooting my family, which is something I don't want to do. We are settling down. I was married before in my 20's (it was a childless marriage), and had several chaotic years after my divorce in terms of wondering what the hell I wanted to do with my life. The cards fell where they did, and drawbacks aside I wouldn't want it any other way right now.

The only issue that both my fiance and I take with this area are most of the people. There is a very large percentage of idiots here of varying variety, and it makes up for a good chunk of the population. There are some good people here however, who know how to treat one another, but by and large there's a higher population of derelicts, sociopaths, and just general troublemakers here than I've seen in many of the other areas I've been to. Having said that, there are a few places I've been that are far worse than the greater Pittsburgh area.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I've taken extended leaves of absence for work, but I can't say I've ever really moved away....although the option was always there. I'm in my mid 30's and I'm starting a family, and though neither myself nor my fiance look at this region with rose colored glasses like so many do, we stay because it's what we're used to.

Neither she nor I have the typical family support network like so many true yinzers do. My family is scattered all over the country. Some of them are still in the area, but it's not a close family at all. I personally only hear from a family member if they want something from me, and I just sort of keep my distance. Members of my family that do stay in touch always fight with one another, and I just don't want any parts of that. Her family isn't as extreme in that regard as mine, but they're similar in that there's no such thing as "gatherings" or "family events" in her family.

My business is of the property maintenance variety, and I could do it anywhere....However, over the years I've grown a significant and reliable customer base in the area. My fiance is a stay at home mom. I make enough to support us comfortably, and growth in the business is incredibly slow....but steady. Sure, it could be a lot more somewhere else, but at this point in the game it comes down to uprooting my family, which is something I don't want to do. We are settling down. I was married before in my 20's (it was a childless marriage), and had several chaotic years after my divorce in terms of wondering what the hell I wanted to do with my life. The cards fell where they did, and drawbacks aside I wouldn't want it any other way right now.

The only issue that both my fiance and I take with this area are most of the people. There is a very large percentage of idiots here of varying variety, and it makes up for a good chunk of the population. There are some good people here however, who know how to treat one another, but by and large there's a higher population of derelicts, sociopaths, and just general troublemakers here than I've seen in many of the other areas I've been to. Having said that, there are a few places I've been that are far worse than the greater Pittsburgh area.
I agree with you in regards to the assessment of the population. I see it as there are a good number of those with anger issues around these parts. Maybe it is due to drugs, poverty, economy or resistance to change. Or it could be a combo of those. The little things can set people into a rage around these parts. There are worse places. Pittsburgh falls in the middle to maybe a little below middle. My wife and I are exploring and researching other areas to possibly relocate to. We were both from here.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,047 times
?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
My wife and I are exploring and researching other areas to possibly relocate to. We were both from here.
How can you be 'were both from here'?

Ah, I geddit - time travel has always baffled my mind grapes, I guess.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
?

How can you be 'were both from here'?

Ah, I geddit - time travel has always baffled my mind grapes, I guess.
Either that or both he and his wife have both been reincarnated. I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:30 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I agree with you in regards to the assessment of the population. I see it as there are a good number of those with anger issues around these parts. Maybe it is due to drugs, poverty, economy or resistance to change. Or it could be a combo of those.
I've seen more people with anger and downright rage issues here than I've ever seen anywhere else. Petty greed, enviousness and entitlement issues also seem to go hand-in-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh