Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 AM

90 posts, read 131,665 times

Advertisements

Per the Post Gazette:

Quote:

Long, silver vehicles designed to resemble rail cars move up and down a
9-mile corridor in their own reserved lanes, whizzing past traffic lights that
are programmed to give them priority, picking up passengers who have paid their
fares at vending machines in about 40 stations along the route. What was once a 46-minute trip ... now takes 34 minutes.
Quote:
Since its opening in 2008, ridership has soared. The No. 6 carried 2.6 million
riders in its final year; HealthLine ridership last year was 4.6 million. That
includes people who wouldn't have boarded a conventional city bus on a dare.
It's easy to see why Pittsburgh wants one of these.
Quote:
Today, a delegation led by Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald will
tour the HealthLine (so designated in a naming-rights deal with Cleveland Clinic
and University Hospitals) and hear presentations about its extraordinary
success. Their hope is to advance plans for a similar service connecting
Downtown and Oakland.

Read more: Cleveland's HealthLine has boosted transit ridership and development - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
I've seen (but not ridden) the HealthLine in Cleveland, and it is indeed impressive looking. I'm not sure how much of Euclid Avenue has actually changed, but there is some development. The area closest to downtown is still pretty desolate.

I'd love to see the same concept here. My only concern is that this takes up a lot of space. Euclid Ave. is pretty wide, so there was no problem dedicating space for the bus lanes and stations. Fifth and Forbes are much narrower, so it seems that the line would have to be one way going out on Forbes and one way coming in on Fifth. And it would be nice for it to go further than just downtown and Oakland. That corridor already has buses every few minutes. Maybe extend it further out Fifth Avenue into Point Breeze?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Maybe extend it further out Fifth Avenue into Point Breeze?
The problem with this is Fifth Avenue between Oakland and Shadyside (and Point Breeze for that matter) is just two lanes in each direction. If we're going to remove one lane of Fifth Avenue and dedicate it to this mode of transit (let's say an inbound lane) then that leaves three lanes. If we want to ensure cyclists can also safely maneuver in each direction (including the inbound one-lane side) then more adjustments will have to be made.

I just don't think Fifth Avenue is wide enough to accommodate a "complete street" with BRT, biking infrastructure, pedestrian improvements, AND motor vehicles.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
The service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with trips every six to eight minutes during much of the day
Read more: Cleveland's HealthLine could be model for Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
so what would happen if you took a popular bus line that runs every 30 minutes until midnight and ran it every 8 minutes 24 hours a day?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Read more: Cleveland's HealthLine could be model for Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
so what would happen if you took a popular bus line that runs every 30 minutes until midnight and ran it every 8 minutes 24 hours a day?
I'd like to see Pittsburgh make its present BRTs more like the ideal BRT that Cleveland has. Articulated buses with platform level loading/exiting, and off bus ticketing.

I'm baffled though how Cleveland manages 24/7 service. Even Atlanta can't manage to do that. Maybe fiscal reality will eventually cut the hours. The newness factor might partially explain why its going so well in Cleveland. We'll see if it holds up over time.

One thing I didn't like though. In the video, I didn't like the loud roar as the bus drove away. Houston's LRT quietly rolls up and quietly rolls away. And I have to admit, the LRT just looks better.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'd like to see Pittsburgh make its present BRTs more like the ideal BRT that Cleveland has. Articulated buses with platform level loading/exiting, and off bus ticketing.
We have this already, now that ConnectCards have arrived? (and real-time GPS tracking is coming to the EBA this summer).

I posted this in the other thread, but it's a little strange that the P-G article holds up the HealthLine and explains it like it's some new thing that Pittsburgh can't wrap it's brain around. The truth is that PGH has far more experience in BRT than most US cities already, and has had it since the 80s. We just need to keep expanding it all and modernizing the old ones.

Also, shout-out to the East Busway for driving me to my job in 10 minutes from Shadyside at 60mph, and never having to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus, ever.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I just don't think Fifth Avenue is wide enough to accommodate a "complete street" with BRT, biking infrastructure, pedestrian improvements, AND motor vehicles.
Elevate it, Chicago style.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
We have this already, now that ConnectCards have arrived? (and real-time GPS tracking is coming to the EBA this summer).
Yes, but do you use the card to pay the fare on or off the BRT bus? I believe at T stations you pay by tapping your card on the platform.

Quote:
Also, shout-out to the East Busway for driving me to my job in 10 minutes from Shadyside at 60mph, and never having to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus, ever.
But nothing beats an HRT for both speed and comfort. From what I've heard the Federal government won't fund any new HRT systems.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yes, but do you use the card to pay the fare on or off the BRT bus? I believe at T stations you pay by tapping your card on the platform.
On the bus.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Good point. I wonder if gas and maintenance costs are prohibitive? Still, it must be cheaper than building a light rail line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh