Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not surprised. Pittsburgh contractors are notorious for that. It's likely Pittsburgh's Angie's List isn't as utilized like it is in San Francisco, just like Craig's List and Meetup aren't popular in every part of the country.
It's just not Pittsburg.....it is like that where I live too. My insurance guy even remarked on it.

It's like if you aren't a large, commercial job.....they don't want to be bothered with you.

It took me 3 weeks to find a company to come out and replace a 10 foot gate that had been smashed flat by a tree in a storm. They either didn't return my calls, or made an appointment to look at the job....and then never showed up. Don't they realize that some people have to take time off work to be home......waiting for them? How rude and inconsiderate can you get?

I would like to have my kitchen and bathroom remodeled, but trying to find a competent, willing contractor is like jumping into a pit of vipers. It's bad enough when you HAVE to get something done, let alone putting yourself through hell for something you would just like to have done.

And.....I am afraid to sign up for Angie's list.....just to find out there are not enough reviews and I wasted my money. I think it may only be worthwhile if you live in a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
I'm new to Pittsburgh and other than info from this forum, have relied on Angie's list to hire a contractor for a fairly big remodeling project and before that, a plumber to convert a small bedroom into a laundry room and do repairs on my bathroom. I called multiple companies on the list, scheduled people to come out and give me estimates, and eventually chose companies from those estimates. A few companies didn't return my calls, but the majority did. The ones I scheduled appointments with showed up. A few of those didn't follow up with estimates, but again the majority did. I had two or three estimates for each job. I have been happy with the companies I chose and was not disappointed in the other companies that provided estimates.

I found many companies with many reviews in the categories I was looking for. I am currently contacting companies from AL for estimates to paint the interior of my home. I called two companies on Tues. One came Wed and has already given me an estimate, the other came Fri and says they will have an estimate for me by early this week.

I have had very good luck with Angie's List. Well worth the cost of membership in my case.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:51 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
I liked the person that came out a lot. He was a referral from work ( I put the question out on our interoffice email), gave referrals without asking (gave us 6 addresses), came to estimate on time, wrote the estimate there and then, had pa licnese numbers and made some suggestions.
We also called a few others ; one called back just to say they dont work in this area which I thought was fair to call us. One never called back and we still have two more to contact.
We called numerous asphalt companies and only one came ;several said they would be by but never showed up.
I am also amazed by the no shows. We always called clients back even just to say they were out of area etc. Its called manners.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I liked the person that came out a lot. He was a referral from work ( I put the question out on our interoffice email), gave referrals without asking (gave us 6 addresses), came to estimate on time, wrote the estimate there and then, had pa licnese numbers and made some suggestions.
We also called a few others ; one called back just to say they dont work in this area which I thought was fair to call us. One never called back and we still have two more to contact.
We called numerous asphalt companies and only one came ;several said they would be by but never showed up.
I am also amazed by the no shows. We always called clients back even just to say they were out of area etc. Its called manners.
The guy that came out sounds good. Just check the references and ask to see the work to be sure it's up to your standards. You'd be amazed at how many people get references but never call them. Ask the questions I listed in an earlier post on this thread and you should be fine.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
We used Castle Asphalt out of New Castle. Did a nice job but begged to be paid in cash.

We couldn't stomach the cost of concrete. I agree that a lot of times contractors want to work local. Maybe ask the parents of your children's friends.

I have no problem with someone not calling me back. Not showing up for an estimate is different. Most of these guys are working with just a cell phone and they are also the one banging the nails. So, it is understandable.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
My father put in a concrete driveway back in the late 1950's, and it still looks pretty good today.

Further, concrete driveways also dry off quicker and easier after snowstorms, the color and texture just melts off the snow a lot more promptly than an asphalt surface.
I find the opposite to be true. Any amount of sun after a snowfall and a black driveway melts way faster. I have blacktop and the people across the street have cement. Mine always melts faster. Black absorbs and retains the heat/light of the sun much more than a light colored driveway.

That said, if cement wasn't so much more I probably would have gone that route. In my case blacktop was 1/4 the price.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I don't know about Pittsburgh, but, where I live......if you put in a cement driveway, your property taxes go up.......with asphalt, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh