Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2006, 07:22 AM

94 posts, read 345,217 times

Advertisements

I'm having alot of trouble trying to figure out all this neighborhood info too!
I remember hearing about Highland Park way back though and I was wondering what it's like. Also how about Morningside and the surrounding communities? (my primary criteria is low crime rates & affordable housing)

I'm just dreaming about moving to Pittsburgh right now and have no immediate plans so I'm just taking my time researching.

Thanks alot for any info!

fern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 02:21 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,781 times
I lived in Highland Park many many years ago. It is not the same as it once was and Morningside is changing also. I would sugest that you look at communities outside the city limits.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:41 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
I lived in Highland Park many many years ago. It is not the same as it once was and Morningside is changing also. I would suggest that you look at communities outside the city limits.
What? With the exception of drawing to Peabody HS, I've heard nothing but nice things about both HP and Morningside.

Highland Park, especially to the east of Highland Ave., is a very stable, well established neighborhood, that's full of large well kept homes that can tend to be a bit on the expensive side. Access to both the park and transit make it nice if you're looking for a more "bucolic" version of city living.

Morningside is another established neighborhood that is seeing an influx of young couples and families. Houses tend to be smaller and more affordable than those in HP, typically around $150,000 or so. I've heard from friends that have recently moved there that the neighborhood is full of kids and that the crime rate is nearly non-existent. However, they complain that there are few busses outside of rush hours.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:01 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,781 times
Bucolic is not a word I would use in describing Highland Park or Morningside.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 7,719 times
This posting is one of the first Google search returns for "Highland Park Pittsburgh". I wanted to echo the thoughts of Mr. Mon above, and actively discourage the impression of Highland that PghREA is seeking to portray.

Here is another look altogether:http://www.popcitymedia.com/features...dpark1112.aspx

Just recently, we have been subjected to this event in our "bucolic" northern suburbs:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08325...localstate.xml

...my point being, awful things happen in all communities. I can only presume the person looking for more information about Highland Park was ultimately not deterred by what has been posted in this thread...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
August 25, 2008
East Liberty man dead in Highland Park shooting

Zone 5 police were sent to the 5600 block of Wellesley Avenue...
East Liberty man dead in Highland Park shooting - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM

84 posts, read 411,361 times
As far as I see it, there is crime everywhere. I've lived in Highland Park for about a year and a few months now and I love it. I think it is the perfect distance between anywhere you'd want to go, and I haven't had any problems. I really love it here. I moved here from a small town in PA too, and I would never go back there. I think this is a great neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,083 times
Highland Park is one of the nicest, most quiet neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. These stints of crime are almost always targeted amongst the ppl involved and are because of drugs - your average citizen is not involved or affected. HP is bordered on one side by what used to be a "bad" neighborhood (East Liberty), but before it was "bad," it was a bustling center of the city. East Liberty is now being restored left and right, amazing restaurants are going in and young professionals (including google employees) are flocking to EL and HP. Houses in HP sell within weeks if not days of being put on the market, and they're gorgeous. We're quite possibly the only neighborhood in Pittsburgh that is not a thoroughfare, unlike places such as Squirrel Hill or Shadyside, which have a ton of traffic going through every day. We also have many fewer students living here, and many more young and middle-age professionals and families. When I come home after working in Oakland, I *do* feel like I'm coming home - to a quiet house and neighborhood, and that I'm no longer in the city. Then there is the park itself on the north end of the neighborhood - absolutely beautiful. We bought our house in Highland Park four years ago upon moving to Pittsburgh, and I never regretted the decision. In fact if I could pick up our house and neighborhood and move it the next of the city we're going to live in, I would.

I also suggest Point Breeze and Regent Square, although RS has more traffic. Aspinwall, if you don't mind being across the river, is also very cute and nice.

This is all coming from a woman who grew up in a 60,000-person town in Wisconsin w/ virtually no crime. Pittsburgh was my first "big city" living experience, and it took me a while to get used to. Now I know that places like HP are actually very unique in bigger cities, and I was lucky to have found a neighborhood such as this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh