Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

If the suburbanites didn't support the arts/sports/museums in this town, it would die. I probably spend more money than most Pghers on the RMU speaker series, the CLO, the City Theater, Buccos, and you name it.

So, SCR, stuff it.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Oh and I can see Seattle, Portland and Austin maybe being higher, but I don't know about Boston. Isn't Boston filled with crime and poverty? I don't know a lot about Denver, yet.
no, not particularly, it's crime rate is about the same as pittsburgh's. the problem here is that people are assuing "smartest city" is something particularly desirable or that it means other places are dysfunctional which indicates a lack of understanding of what good cities are.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Damn, only took us a day to lose the title on these completely arbitrary lists: The Smartest Cities In America - Yahoo! Finance

Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
It just shows that local media love to hype results of vapid top-ten or top-whatever lists without critically looking at them.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't quite get what you're saying. Read Copa's post. Read the post he was responding to, stating this was all suburban people who were acting like ignoramouses (ignorami?). That's garbage.
All SCR's (admittedly inelegant post) stated was that he felt the MAJORITY of the people at the show were from the suburbs.

I think he was probably using "suburb" imprecisely to represent all suburbs, exurbs, rural, etc; namely "not City residents", perhaps I'm wrong.

That 50.1% (or more) of the people at the show didn't live in the City strikes me a highly probable. As Copanut later alluded, I would expect most large events in the City to reflect this.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
All SCR's (admittedly inelegant post) stated was that he felt the MAJORITY of the people at the show were from the suburbs.

I think he was probably using "suburb" imprecisely to represent all suburbs, exurbs, rural, etc; namely "not City residents", perhaps I'm wrong.

That 50.1% (or more) of the people at the show didn't live in the City strikes me a highly probable. As Copanut later alluded, I would expect most large events in the City to reflect this.
So what? It was still a slur, on suburbanites. As if city people don't behave badly as well. How does SCR or you or anyone else know that it was mostly the suburbanites behaving badly? What percentage of the audience was this?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If the suburbanites didn't support the arts/sports/museums in this town, it would die. I probably spend more money than most Pghers on the RMU speaker series, the CLO, the City Theater, Buccos, and you name it.
Of course, that's true. It is precisely this reality that can be off-putting at times. Suburbanites (not all, some, perhaps most) identify as "Pittsburghers" when it suits them to...they take advantage of all the City has to offer and then flee the City, or even the County, to their suburban tax havens in order to avoid having to contribute to the actual work and heavy lifting of repairing modern, urban America.

I'm not saying it's not rational, it is...just...

Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM

41 posts, read 87,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Damn, only took us a day to lose the title on these completely arbitrary lists: The Smartest Cities In America - Yahoo! Finance
That's actually one of the two surveys mentioned in the original post. It ranked Pittsburgh #4 among "large metros" but not in the top 10 overall.

Are These America's Brainiest Cities? - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
These lists are somewhat arbitrary, but examining the results of many may (perhaps?) give some perspective to a broad populace on decent places to live.

I must confess I'm amazingly disappointed that Pittsburgh doesn't even appear on the list of cities which have bikini barista outlets. The west coast is so superior in this respect, but really, there's one in Youngstown. Yes, Younstown, Ohio!!!! And Raleigh has one ....

Bikini barista - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C'mon Pittsburgh. You can't be a serious modern city without being on the bikina barista outlet list!! Why did I ever leave Washington State?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'd hazard a guess to say that >50.0% of those in attendance at the Kenny Chesney concert were from outside the city limits. I don't see why that ruffled so many feathers. Only ~308,000 of the well over 2,000,000 people in the area live in the city proper. Proportionately it stands to reason that the majority of the country music fans in this region live outside the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh