Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 06:14 AM

21 posts, read 56,526 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am seeking some insight about living around East Ohio Street area (particularly on James Street and surrounding streets, behind E Ohio). How safe is that area? Are there a lot of break-ins? What about street parking? Is it safe to come home late at night walking those streets? I am talking before midnight.
I currently live in Allegheny West but am looking to move across the neighborhood on the other side of the park. Housing is cheaper there (way cheaper) and it's pretty much all about savings and cheaper housing at this point in my life.
My husband, though, is really concerned about safety in that area. He said that he'd rather pay extra but stay in Allegheny West because E. Ohio Street has "multiple pawn shops, a liquor store, a bunch of condemned homes and I don't want our apartment to be broken into".
How bad is that area really is crime-wise? If someone has been living there for a while now, could you please share your thoughts? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
That area is very safe. I have some friends over there and I've never heard a complaint. Personally, I've walked around over there day and night and have always felt safe.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 AM

Thank you.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
It would be a little dishonest to say that East Allegheny is equally safe to Allegheny West. East Allegheny has significantly higher (and denser) population in general, and E Ohio Street is used by far more people than Western Ave... so inevitably, the amount of crime (and the volume) is higher. There is undeniably an active drug trade in and around the park next to Cedar Ave. And there are at least half a dozen prostitution arrests in the vicinity of Middle & Foreland each week. That said... if you aren't involved in drug dealing or prostitution, you're probably not even on the radar of most people committing crimes -- the vast majority of violent crime is an attempt to settle a debt, get revenge for being spurned, etc. Robbery and burglary are probably actually less common in East Allegheny than they are in go-to wealthy locales like Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.

Additionally, (a) there is a remarkable pocket of beautiful, well-restored homes and relative quiet, in the area south of E Ohio (e.g., Avery or Lockhart St.); and (b) in my opinion, the area to the north is improving by leaps and bounds year after year. As it stands, it requires a little bit of street smarts, but I really love East Allegheny / Deutschtown, and would buy a place there in a minute if I had the funds.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
There is undeniably an active drug trade in and around the park next to Cedar Ave. And there are at least half a dozen prostitution arrests in the vicinity of Middle & Foreland each week. That said... if you aren't involved in drug dealing or prostitution, you're probably not even on the radar of most people committing crimes --.
No I'm not in the drug dealing business or prostitution () and that information is disturbing. I guess it's fine as long as law enforcement is there curbing all the criminal activity. So I'm just walking down the street in the evening minding my own business I shouldn't be bothered or attacked or mugged? I jog in the park and along Cedar Ave occasionally and it's always been fine but I've never lived in the rougher part of the area.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
I was an Avery Street resident for 12 years (1986 - 98) when the area was not as far along as it is now. Really never had any problems, and I was up on East Ohio a lot to pick up pizza, go to the drug store, hardware store, and restaurants. It was not a menacing area and I walked the streets at night with no priblem. You just have to have your street smarts, which you are probably aware of in Allegheny West.

One good thing about East Allegheny is the neighborhood association, which is very vigilant. Many members lived on my street and we kept a lookout for suspicious activity and reported it (usually someone yelling in the street in the middle of the night). Plus there were people moving from places like Baltimore and New York who thought it was pretty quiet compared to where they were moving from!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursvetlanka View Post
that information is disturbing.
Well, I don't think it's anything to be disturbed by. I have been hanging out on and around Cedar & Ohio (Park House or Elks Lodge) late at night for several years now, and aside from people asking me for money periodically, none of this has ever really affected me. Like I said, you're virtually invisible to trouble-makers if you're not participating in illicit activity.

Also, as a person who has lived in Allegheny West -- I hate to break it to you, but there is a whole world of shadiness happening at the Western & Allegheny 7-11 every night AND day. Such is life.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I was an Avery Street resident for 12 years (1986 - 98) when the area was not as far along as it is now. Really never had any problems, and I was up on East Ohio a lot to pick up pizza, go to the drug store, hardware store, and restaurants. It was not a menacing area and I walked the streets at night with no priblem. You just have to have your street smarts, which you are probably aware of in Allegheny West.

One good thing about East Allegheny is the neighborhood association, which is very vigilant. Many members lived on my street and we kept a lookout for suspicious activity and reported it (usually someone yelling in the street in the middle of the night). Plus there were people moving from places like Baltimore and New York who thought it was pretty quiet compared to where they were moving from!
This is awesome information, thank you! I keep telling my husband that we'll be fine as long as we're not walking around there asking for trouble. Price-wise E Ohio area is more affordable than Allegheny West so I don't see why I can't live just 1 mile away from where I live now and pay a comfortable amount of money for it instead of overpaying. I am certainly still worried about moving and having people see how we're moving furniture in and on-street parking but it sounds like with reasonable precautions anyone would be fine down there.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
When I lived on Avery, surprisingly, parking was not a huge issue (except on Steeler Sunday home games). We all seemed to have a system of respecting spaces, so I usually didn't have to park too far from the house. The only time it was really hairy was during the blizzard of '93. Once we all dug our cars out, the city notified us to park in the lot behind East Ohio Street for a day or two (for free) so they could run the plow down our street and clear it out.

We bought a complete re-hab for $56,500 (1986), but I think they're going for $100,000 more these days.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
I'd say the both Allegheny East and Allegheny West are about equal in the "safety" factor. If you're cool with one, you should be cool with the other.

Most of the crazy bars over on East Ohio have closed, joints like JR's, Cindy's and Chiquita's have been regulated to the ashcan of history. I think the closing of the ARC House over that way really cut down on the lowlife level in those parts although it is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh