Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times

Advertisements

i've listened to many of your advices such as taking the bus to class,etc.

i have sent tons of emails to listings on craigslist and i got nothing but bs leads. I talked to someone who was moving and wanted to meet me before she decided on roommates and to look for places, but when the week came(the week she would be in town) she never replied.

then i got tons of replies saying "xx roommate doesnt want random ppl to be roommate" or "sorry, i have someone else".

at this point i just want my own place. I have upped my max on rent, max being $800 and if possible with utilities.

i just want something close to fifth ave or an easy shot to campus of pittsburgh via bus, safe and easy parking for my vehicle.

i also found it interesting that "non-smoking" here means different than where i am from. Usually it means(to me) indoors, but tons of people replied to me they want non smoking,period. Not in the house,outside, at bars,etc because they dont want that smell to "come home". i just can't win lol.

i am a low key guy and can't seem to win in this situation. i secured my finances and at this rate im going to be living in my car on the street of my friends house come august.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 AM

255 posts, read 284,845 times
Have you considered just busing in?
Apartments are a lot cheaper away from the city and available!

Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
i just dont want to take an hr bus ride, considering one day a week i got class from the am until 9:30pm.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 AM

255 posts, read 284,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i just dont want to take an hr bus ride, considering one day a week i got class from the am until 9:30pm.
Who says you would have to? You have a car and can live basically anywhere. Find some place you like that has a bus that's 1/2 hour away, no transfers. Heck the bus is free for you and you won't pay $800 a month.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
Look outside of Shadyside. Try Bloomfield, highland park, or east liberty. All close to the universities and a quick bus ride.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Aberdeen Apartments (Union Real Estate) | OCL | University of Pittsburgh

"Efficiency = $670 to $705 plus electric, studio = $735 plus electric, one-bedroom unit = $795-825 plus electric. Parking is $100 per month"

Available August 1.

Just steer clear of Lobos.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 AM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
If smoking is what's between you and an ideal living situation try the nicotine patch now and you might be a nonsmoker by August!

I'm only half-joking. No, I've not smoked but do know several former smokers who have quit for any variety of reasons. (I know, "how dare you suggest that like it's so easy?")

It was several years ago but I've rented in Wilkinsburg (near Regent Square), and Swissvale. I suggest checking out those areas, along with the others suggested above. Frick Park area, Regent Square, Park Place...

Located in the true Heart of Regent Square

Balcony, Scenic Panorama, Big kitchen, Hardwood floors

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM

90 posts, read 131,720 times
Try Greenfield. A friend of mine lives in an apartment above the Murray Avenue Apothecary. His rent is extremely reasonable and I know the landlord (a little old lady) allows smoking.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy7773 View Post
If smoking is what's between you and an ideal living situation try the nicotine patch now and you might be a nonsmoker by August!

I'm only half-joking. No, I've not smoked but do know several former smokers who have quit for any variety of reasons. (I know, "how dare you suggest that like it's so easy?")
Forget the patch, OP. E-cigarettes, seriously. I know a litany of people who have quit, including seniors who have smoked for 50+ years, with a good quality e-cigarette. Some of them found it shockingly easy too, and have been clean of it now for a couple years with no looking back (and they're off the e-cigs too, just was a transition thing).

Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
I have no independent knowledge of whether this is a decent landlord, but I've seen these 1 BRs in Squirrel Hill advertised at work. Driving might be obnoxious if you're trying to go when Allderdice lets in or out, but it's a super-easy walk to the bus stop from there, and there are several buses to Pitt that run near that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: