Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,320 times

Advertisements

Another win for for the Bucs! h_cuuuuuuuuuurtissss, where aaaaaare youuuuuuu???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM

480 posts, read 611,545 times
Big game today

Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Another win for for the Bucs! h_cuuuuuuuuuurtissss, where aaaaaare youuuuuuu???????
If I remember correctly, h_curtis did agree to buy us all a beer at the start of the next game after the 81st win? I'll be thirsty

Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
ha! tell me about that. being a caps fan, im tired of the bandwagon caps fans who can only remember holtby,ovi, AND mike green. i remember getting cheap tickets to the mci center(now verizon center) and the old caps arena and enjoying a game. i still remember going to the SC finals and for relatively cheap too, though lost to the red wings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
while i like the new caps logo, i dislike the whole "rock the red" promo. i prefer the old blue,white,black with the eagle as the caps logo. half the fans arent even fans and i grew tired of that. when i mentioned peter bondra i get confused eyes. yep, thats caps fans for you, so its not only in PGH where people only root for winners.
I admit I'm starting to pay some attention to the Pirates because they look like a decent team this year. Those guys get paid many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars a year to put on a good show and you should demand and expect nothing less. If they don't deliver I'm not going to give money to them or care any more than I would about any other product that didn't live up to what it is supposed to do. We'll see in the next couple years if this season is a fluke or if the long-profiting team owner and the highly paid professionals are able to keep it up and make it interesting.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
[b]

I admit I'm starting to pay some attention to the Pirates because they look like a decent team this year. Those guys get paid many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars a year to put on a good show and you should demand and expect nothing less. If they don't deliver I'm not going to give money to them or care any more than I would about any other product that didn't live up to what it is supposed to do. We'll see in the next couple years if this season is a fluke or if the long-profiting team owner and the highly paid professionals are able to keep it up and make it interesting.
Nobody was going to fix the mess that was the 2007 Pirates in under three years. It took Neal six partly due to his on-the-job learning, partly due to tight purse strings. Neal's job was probably on the line this year (and should have been) but he's come through in spades. And, if you hadn't noticed, the Bucs are now over Nutting's budget. He finally came through too.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Nobody was going to fix the mess that was the 2007 Pirates in under three years. It took Neal six partly due to his on-the-job learning, partly due to tight purse strings. Neal's job was probably on the line this year (and should have been) but he's come through in spades. And, if you hadn't noticed, the Bucs are now over Nutting's budget. He finally came through too.
Nutting has "come through" because it's finally an appropriate time to load up the big league payroll. Throwing money at free agents in, say, 2009 would have been stupid and a waste of money because no single two or three baseball players in the world would have changed the fortunes of those teams, let alone ones who were free agents at the time, let alone ones who would have ever considered signing with the Pirates.

Instead, Nutting spent those years signing off on the outlay of tens of millions of dollars in the draft and Latin America. Now that we're seeing the fruits of those efforts in the form of a solid young core, he's been signing off on spending millions more to supplement that core (and to keep key members of that core around for a long time - see McCutchen, Andrew). The Pirates will never be able to spend on the level of the big market teams, but I don't think there has been a single point since Bob Nutting took over that we could have rightly asked for any more from him.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Nutting has "come through" because it's finally an appropriate time to load up the big league payroll. Throwing money at free agents in, say, 2009 would have been stupid and a waste of money because no single two or three baseball players in the world would have changed the fortunes of those teams, let alone ones who were free agents at the time, let alone ones who would have ever considered signing with the Pirates.

Instead, Nutting spent those years signing off on the outlay of tens of millions of dollars in the draft and Latin America. Now that we're seeing the fruits of those efforts in the form of a solid young core, he's been signing off on spending millions more to supplement that core (and to keep key members of that core around for a long time - see McCutchen, Andrew). The Pirates will never be able to spend on the level of the big market teams, but I don't think there has been a single point since Bob Nutting took over that we could have rightly asked for any more from him.
Stop making sense. You're going to anger the dreamers who think that Mark Cuban would come here and spend himself into poverty trying to make the Pirates a winner.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Okay. If they end up in first I will buy the first beer for 5 people. Up to $5 a beer. Of course if you want to buy me one I won't object. I do hope they win the division. That would be cool.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Got half a mind to zip on up to Milwaukee to catch the game on Wednesday. Or I guess I could wait a couple weeks until they play the Cubs. 60 mile drive versus 3-mile bus ride...

I'd feel better not cheering against my Cubs though.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Got half a mind to zip on up to Milwaukee to catch the game on Wednesday. Or I guess I could wait a couple weeks until they play the Cubs. 60 mile drive versus 3-mile bus ride...

I'd feel better not cheering against my Cubs though.
you could take the hiawatha or megabus if youre worried about drinking and driving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh