Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times

Advertisements

Great to see competitive baseball in Pittsburgh for the first time in a generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,946,289 times
Gonna get some of my curmudegeonly gripes out of the way here... the main thing that 20 years of losing has done here is that an entire generation has no idea how to be a fan at an actual baseball game.

I grew up a Mets fan. Been to Shea, Yankee and Fenway many, many times through pennant races. When I hear local Pgh sports pundits talk about how loud PNC has been this week, I just have to laugh. I think for many under 30, going to PNC is like attending a Catholic church - you need to follow the elders as to when to stand, when to sit, when to speak up. But even then, PNC fans just don't get it.

I've averaged maybe 10 games/year since PNC was built. When they stunk, I could just put up with it as there were always plenty of other seats to move to. Not now.

At last night's game a couple of Cards fans were (correctly) crouching on the stairs during a pitch while returning to their seats. Instead of doing same, Pirates fans were tripping over them. A new Pirate fan thinks nothing of getting up and going to get a beer during the pitcher's windup on a 3-2 count in a tie game. I couldn't freaking believe how many times my view was blocked by idiots who have no idea how to watch a live game.

I remember going to the Rogers Center the first year it opened. The PA system had to tell all those Canadians what to do and when. PNC is that way even today. The PA noise is near constant in a way you won't find at the NY stadiums, Fenway, Philly or Wrigley. It's just horrible. There's no need for "We Will Rock You" every other pitch.

And stop the freaking wave. This isn't college football.

There are no "woos" in baseball.

We also don't yet have intimidating bleachers. There's one fat yinzer in the LF grandstands who stands at the railing and is loud, incessant, obnoxious and has great insults for whomever the opponent stick in LF, but that's about it. Everyone should go sit in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium or Wrigley to get an idea of how to do it (I'd have added Fenway, but the bleachers is where they stuck their 'all you can eat' section and it's truly an abomination these days).

I've got tix for one game at each of the remaining home series. I hope it gets better.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 PM

22,273 posts, read 47,206,238 times
There are no 'woos' in hockey either... so annoying!

As far as the crouching goes... they won't know unless they are taught. IMHO, that is the job of the ushers. The ushers should not let anyone down until a break in the action, just like hockey games. And they should tell everyone to hurry, or to crouch if they aren't seated in time.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:15 PM

733 posts, read 982,277 times
Every Pirates game I have gone to has been a loss. I would like to go to a game before the end of the season, but I feel a responsibility to the team to stay away right now, haha.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,232,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Every Pirates game I have gone to has been a loss. I would like to go to a game before the end of the season, but I feel a responsibility to the team to stay away right now, haha.
don't go Saturday ....

Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,662,378 times
Quote:
I was banned from Pens games for two years for the same reason. Luckily this year the curse seemed to have broken and I'm okay again. So try again next year.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:

I will pay you to stay away...

Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 PM

22,273 posts, read 47,206,238 times
CaptainPittsburgh, did you go to the game tonight?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,946,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
CaptainPittsburgh, did you go to the game tonight?
I'd guess yes, and he brought his twin brother.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 PM

480 posts, read 608,598 times
Can't win em all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh