Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times

Advertisements

I know most posts regarding this is usually for some sort of post B.S and relocating, however i am talking about retail/sales kind of job.

i figured it's too late to look for anything here in va and might as well focus on PGH, however im not sure how employers look at resume with addresses from a different state.

within the next couple of weeks i will be up there and signing a lease, but until i get a concrete address i'm listing my current VA.

on a side note: if anyone knows of any openings in retail/cs/sales i'm looking for one

ideally i'd like to have things lined up and not waste my money driving up to an interview for such a thing until i'm there (costs between $200 each time to go up there and back).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
If you're not willing to drive up here for an interview, wait until you move here to start your job search.

You'll discourage employers from giving your application a second look once you've arrived. They'll see your name and think, "Oh, that's the guy who wouldn't come for an interview" without noticing that you live here now.

If you can find a job at a national chain in VA, you could possibly transfer here. You won't get hired if you tell the VA manager interviewing you that you're moving.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Like a lot of things in life, individual results vary a lot, but I think for this sort of job most employers will ignore unsolicited applications from out of state. If you are able to submit a cover letter that briefly explains your situation it may help.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
well i applied for a job that has their training beginning in september, and i mentioned i would be moving in early august to the area. hopefully they figure i'd be living there in a few weeks and might want to do an interview then.

and reason i dont want to do an immediate drive is because gas/food/tolls adds to $200 or so. dont have that kind of cash laying around when i need to save up 1400 for dep/1st rent

Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Dont waste your time online. HOnestly, both my dh and I moved here in June and tried the online applications. Luckily, we had enough saved that we could afford to be out of work. I started looking in earnest in early Nov with agencies and had a job in two weeks.

Dh has still to even get an interview. So He is heading back to school. Online applications just didnt work for us ; and I have a degree in accounting, my dh has one in IT.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i recently got a job long distance - about 500 miles from pittsburgh. i had to be prepared to drive up for interviews though. it wouldn't have worked otherwise. i tried to cluster interviews together so it wasn't as much of an expense. and i had people to stay with for free.

however, you're close enough to moving that i'd just start applying if i were you. definitely explain in your cover letter that you are moving and when. first paragraph. i had employers asking why i didn't say anything about my intention to move when i had it in the last paragraph, so i moved it up. you can also put "moving to pittsburgh in august 2013" under the address line in your resume.

if you get a call for an interview before you are here, just explain the situation. you may lose out on the opportunity, or they may be able to do a phone or skype interview with you as a first step, and follow up with an in person interview. or they might be able to wait a week or two to interview you. a couple of weeks is really not very long and many employers take longer than that to get back to candidates anyway. the job i got took a month to start scheduling interviews. they started with phone interviews and offered to do one of the 2 in person ones via skype, but i was able to go in person which is always better.

i also don't think most places will hold it against you if you have to turn down an in person interview and then apply again when you are actually in town. not if they're reasonable, anyway, and do you really want to work for an unreasonable employer?

good luck!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
oh and everyone's results are different, of course, but my job search was almost exclusively online (1 job out of hundreds that i applied for i found by networking, and i interviewed but didn't get it) and i had tons of interviews and 2 offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: