Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So you honestly don't find the East End to be overwhelmingly liberal?
It seems that you are lumping young people, DIY culture, artsy folk, hipsters, and yuppies as those who follow a particular political philosophy (in this case liberalism). You've come to this conclusion because "vegan something something Prius". A bit of a broad brush to paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
My own Polish Hill has a vegan hangout coffeeshop, records store, and comic book store
It's "record store." Singular. You don't say "coffees shop," do you? Or "comic books store"?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Why do people stereotype liberals and conservatives so much?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
The OP makes a point that ties in with the "priced out of the city" thread. A lot of people in Pittsburgh, view the city as nothing more than a quaint little town (with some big city amenities) and want it to stay that way. They don't want a huge influx of people into the city proper or an expansion of its borders, even though that would probably give the city a bigger voice at the state level. Pittsburgh does not command as much power and respect at the state level as, say, Chicago, Philadelphia, or NYC, not to mention the huge sprawling megalopolises of the South and West, for a very simple reason: it only has 300,000 people. What kind of power can you really expect to wield with those numbers? Come on.
Both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia don't command as much power as Rural PA at the state level. Philadelphia while 3 times larger than Pittsburgh has NO MORE State Clout than Pittsburgh does. Harrisburg treats both cities as equals, even if Pittsburghers tends to think Philadelphia gets more because of the population size alone.. Trust me it does not.

and neither Philadelphia nor Pittsburgh has any near the NYC or Chicago levels of political influences.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
This urban vs. rural/liberal vs. conservative argument is played out in most states---not just PA. Even in notably "red" states (i.e. Texas) most of the city propers (i.e. Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio) are either solidly blue or at least lean blue while suburbs/exurbs and rural areas trend more conservative. In Texas more people live in the suburbs/exurbs and rural areas than in the core cities. That's no different here. Pittsburgh's city proper (especially here in the East End) seems to be a limousine liberal's paradise with hybrid vehicles, Obama bumper stickers, Human Rights Campaign (=) stickers, rainbow flags, etc. abounding whereas just venturing out to Cranberry Township or even to a place like Findlay Township (within our county) turns the table nearly 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I mean, there's a reason why the people of Cranberry Township keep electing an anti-gay bigot to our state legislature, is there not? It's not because he's handsome.

Even within the rural "T" of PA you have larger cities like Scranton, Erie, and Allentown that are die-hard Democratic. There are a myriad of reasons to suggest why urbanites lean left. They're exposed to more diversity and, therefore, tend to be more sympathetic towards minority-related causes championed by Democrats and ignored by Republicans. Working-class urbanites are largely union adherents, and they reliably vote Democratic because they view Republicans as being "union busters". Cities are becoming increasingly expensive places, and it requires greater levels of wealth (and typically correspondingly higher levels of educational attainment) to afford them. Educated higher-income people tend to vote Democratic. We saw this even with our recent mayoral primary where most liberal, younger, and educated people went crazy for Peduto while Wagner, who was admittedly conservative, carried "grayer" neighborhoods dominated by those with limited educational attainment.
Your descriptions of Pittsburgh and the East End are so ridiculous and over dramatic half of the time.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It seems that you are lmping young people, DIY culture, artsy folk, hipsters, and yuppies as those who follow a particular political philosophy (in this case liberalism). You've come to this conclusion because "vegan something something Prius". A bit of a broad brush to paint.
I agree. And the way steelcity posts, he makes it sound like everyone is like that over there when I know plenty of East Enders that aren't like that or liberal political junkies. Pittsburgh and not everyone in the east end is in some liberal paradise like SF like you may think (or wants to be) You seem to be thinking anyone who voted for Obama is automatically some big lefty.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia don't command as much power as Rural PA at the state level. Philadelphia while 3 times larger than Pittsburgh has NO MORE State Clout than Pittsburgh does. Harrisburg treats both cities as equals, even if Pittsburghers tends to think Philadelphia gets more because of the population size alone.. Trust me it does not.

and neither Philadelphia nor Pittsburgh has any near the NYC or Chicago levels of political influences.
About 3/4 of Illinois' population lives in the Chicago MSA. Frankly, downstate kind of ignores Chicago.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Personally speaking, I hate the equation of liberal and left. I'm a left winger, but when people call me a liberal I want to punch them.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Contrary to popular belief not all of we liberals in the East End are enamored with having a fro-yo place, hot yoga studio, artisan mini-cupcake bakery, store that exclusively sells metrosexual attire to 5-year-old boys, and a place to get psychotherapy for your pet poodle on every other corner while gas stations, laundromats, and other essentials are scarce and overcrowded. Whenever I try to get gas (ya know...to get to WORK...which it seems like many East Enders don't do) at GetGo I cringe and hope I don't get hit while trying to avoid playing bumper cars in their parking lot. My own Polish Hill has a vegan hangout coffeeshop, records store, and comic book store, yet if you want to grab a slice of pizza or do a load of laundry you need to drive elsewhere. I'm guessing the lack of laundromats in this part of town explains why so many people in the "hipster belt" smell funny?

My partner and I drive to the Cheswick Sheetz every couple of months just because the city still doesn't have one.
So you want all the benefits of the suburbs while living in a dense urban area? Good luck with that.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
SteelCityRising

We are now getting a Sheetz right near the entrance to Presque Isle in Erie come on up and enjoy the MTOs n'aht.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh