Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Ah, must be fairly new. Looks like my iPhone 4 doesn't support them at least on AT&T. Well, I guess it's almost 3 years old now, pretty ancient in phone terms.
I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.3 on the AT&T network with carrier update 14.2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It is the Wireless Emergency Alert system (formerly CMAS) Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) | FCC.gov
Thanks. Many of my friends, neighbors and family love the new feature. While I was on my trip, I wished my phone had it.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I'm guessing those of us without Smartphones are unable to receive those alerts and updates? While out delivering yesterday I was listening to 105.9 "The X", and Mark Madden seemed ticked off that he had to be interrupted for the NWS to issue the Tornado Warning for Allegheny County and then went back on to rambling like a jagoff about sugar daddies while I spent the next hour searching everywhere on AM and FM radio frequencies looking for updates.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
They broke directly into the programming on 90.5 with the actual emergency alert system thing, but the one I heard was later, just for Severe Thunderstorm Warning. (This was on our way out to dinner after the power went off.) I'm going to guess we missed the Tornado Warning by a couple minutes, probably already turned the car off just before they cut in with it.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
If you're in the car during bad weather, you can usually find out what's going on on KDKA-AM 1020. They're talk all day and pretty much were wall-to-wall with all of this yesterday.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
If you're in the car during bad weather, you can usually find out what's going on on KDKA-AM 1020. They're talk all day and pretty much were wall-to-wall with all of this yesterday.
Thanks! Good to know for future reference. I kept my AM on scan for a few minutes, but I must have somehow missed this station.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I was listening to 105.9 "The X", and Mark Madden seemed ticked off that he had to be interrupted for the NWS to issue the Tornado Warning for Allegheny County and then went back on to rambling like a jagoff about sugar daddies while I spent the next hour searching everywhere on AM and FM radio frequencies looking for updates.
You were expecting compassion and concern from Mark Madden?

There's a road around the corner of my house with a depression that runs maybe 8-10' long. There's a storm drain right there. It backed up. Sure enough a car got 1/2 submerged in that little spot, called 911 for rescue. First time in history.

Unfortunately my driveway runs downhill to my garage and my driveway drain runs into the same line as that storm drain. So I had a lake 2.5' up my garage doors. Once they unplugged the storm drain, my driveway emptied out quickly. I was thinking the basement wouldn't be too bad - there was about 1.5" of water when I went down there. So after the driveway drained, I opened the basement door to the garage and was immediately hit in the shin by a floating cooler. It got up to about 5" in the garage.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 PM

146 posts, read 216,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm guessing those of us without Smartphones are unable to receive those alerts and updates? While out delivering yesterday I was listening to 105.9 "The X", and Mark Madden seemed ticked off that he had to be interrupted for the NWS to issue the Tornado Warning for Allegheny County and then went back on to rambling like a jagoff about sugar daddies while I spent the next hour searching everywhere on AM and FM radio frequencies looking for updates.
The phone has to be WEA capable, but not necessarily a smartphone. Starting this year, this capability is mandated for all new phones. Check with your carrier for a list of its WEA compatible devices. For example, here is Verizon's list:
Wireless Emergency Alert Capable Devices | Verizon Wireless

Most are smartphones, but some are feature phones, like the LG Revere 2 and the Samsung Intensity III and Gusto II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.3 on the AT&T network with carrier update 14.2.
Who's receiving and not receiving these seems inconsistent right now. I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T, iOS 6.1, carrier update 14.2, so I'm less up to date than you are, software wise. Still, I have received these messages both in Pittsburgh and in North Carolina, where I'm working for the next couple weeks. My boyfriend has been getting them on a T-Mobile Google Nexus. (I'm even receiving them in the boonies outside Asheville where according to the phone I have no service.) But none of my colleagues down here in NC are receiving them, and they all have older iPhone 4/4S models. Both of these should be WEA capable on Verizon, and the 4S is capable on AT&T. So I don't get it. I have appreciated receiving the messages, though.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM

122 posts, read 194,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
This is excellent to know. We were on McKnightmare when the tornado warning hit my phone. The clouds were just interesting enough to have me concerned, and I couldn't find anything anywhere. WESA was going on about Egypt, which I was not concerned about in the slightest right then.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
About the only 2 stations left in town for news is KQV and Old Fart KDKA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh