Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I will be visit Pittsburgh soon on a long weekend trip for a wedding. I have a couple of days to kill prior to the wedding. My girlfriend wants to go hiking as one of our activities. I have only been to Pittsburgh a couple of times in the past and only spent a few days there each time, mostly doing indoor activities. Can anyone name some good areas around Pitt to go hiking or do nature/outdoor activities? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Ohiopyle.

PA*DCNR*-*Ohiopyle State Park

Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Ohiopyle is worth the trip if you want to go on a long hike. If you just want to go a couple miles in the woods, you could visit Frick, Schenley, or Riverview Park inside the city.

You might want to go to Kayak Pittsburgh on the North Shore and rent a bike or kayak for a bit. Our bike trails ultimately lead all the way to Washington DC (going through Ohiopyle, incidentally), so you could make as long or as short of a trip as you'd like. There's also another bike rental place Downtown: http://www.bikepittsburgh.com/.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Ohiopyle is worth the trip if you want to go on a long hike. If you just want to go a couple miles in the woods, you could visit Frick, Schenley, or Riverview Park inside the city.

You might want to go to Kayak Pittsburgh on the North Shore and rent a bike or kayak for a bit. Our bike trails ultimately lead all the way to Washington DC (going through Ohiopyle, incidentally), so you could make as long or as short of a trip as you'd like. There's also another bike rental place Downtown: Golden Triangle Bike Rental.
Thanks. Is Ohiopyle a mountain? What is the terrain like? I was thinking a place with higher altitudes, but I am not familiar with the surroundings of Pitt.

The city thing does not sound like real hiking. Sounds like a small park. We want something where we'll see nature, animals, etc.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Thanks. Is Ohiopyle a mountain? What is the terrain like? I was thinking a place with higher altitudes, but I am not familiar with the surroundings of Pitt.

The city thing does not sound like real hiking. Sounds like a small park. We want something where we'll see nature, animals, etc.
Ohiopyle is hilly, but not mountainous. It also has a river with some rapids in it, which can be fun to look at even if you don't go rafting. If you happen to have a good chunk of the day to spend, you could go on a white water rafting tour with one of the companies out there. I did that last year and it was really fun; when you're done rafting you have the option to walk or bike back the 7 miles (or take their bus ).

The city parks I mentioned, especially Riverview Park, definitely have nature and animals. I haven't gone to Riverview Park a single time without seeing deer or turkeys, and many of the paths are unmarked and left to their own devices rather than well maintained, which sounds like a plus to you. The main drawback is that the trails are not long, a couple of miles each at best. I mostly mentioned it just in case time or travel was a constraint to you. If you can manage to get out to Ohiopyle, I'm pretty certain you'll enjoy it better than any of the city parks, even the woodsy ones. But if you happen to find yourself bored at 6PM, a short visit to one of the city parks would be more fun than staying in your hotel room.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
This is your place for hiking near the Burgh:

PA*DCNR*-*McConnells Mill State Park

The Slippery Rock Gorge trail is awesome and is one of the better "mountain hikes" you will find in western PA.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We have gone to Ohiopyle and it is wonderful. Some trails are really easy ; others are hard. Two weeks ago we went on a moderate difficult hike and it was pretty difficult as it was very humid, but the scenery was wonderful. We usually leave around 10 and get back around 4 so it is a great day out.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM

146 posts, read 216,088 times
If you're willing to go as far as Ohiopyle, you could also consider Cooper's Rock State Forest outside of Morgantown, WV. There is a wide variety of trails, as well as a couple of spectacular overlooks of the Cheat River Valley.

Coopers Rock State Forest

Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 AM

130 posts, read 184,468 times
McConnells Mills has great hiking and other activities, http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...cconnellsmill/

Moraine State Park, http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...apark/moraine/

Or if you're up for a challenge the Rachel Carson Trails, Rachel Carson Trails Conservancy — Rachel Carson Trails Conservancy

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Hartwood Acres is a great choice for nature close to the city. You will see deer and other wildlife, and there is over 600 acres to explore.

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/...s_Combined.pdf

Hartwood Acres
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh