Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,895,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If you go to the actual DMV (that state office), they don't take cash. I don't think you need to go there, except maybe to change your car title. The Driver's License Centers are private businesses that are different.
I see. so you said the one on braum is a DLC? how far from Stanton ave is that?

all I know is the dmv from va and they take cash,checks so im not used to going to a non state place. weird how a drivers license is issued by a private business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,528,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I see. so you said the one on braum is a DLC? how far from Stanton ave is that?
Maybe a mile. It's by Whole Foods and all that.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 PM

that's a lot of paper they require to establish I live in pa. in va its passport, ss card, and lease/motgage obviously your license too since itll be taken.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Way back when I did it they still made you pass a knowledge test, and I goofed it the first time! I believe I went to the state office downtown back then (this was over 20 years ago) but since then there's nothing I need the state offices for except to get my photo every 4 years. All renewal is by mail/online and when I did do a car titling thing I did that through AAA, which runs their own "messenger service" as it is known in PA. Basically the private businesses associated with notary and messenger service perform most of the functions of DMVs, and most times people use that because real DMV offices are few and far between and inconvenient. The messenger places do charge for their services but they make up for it in the convenience.

You don't need to do the PA license until you truly "establish residency", and the 60-day clock technically starts from that point. If you like you can generally argue that as a student you're not actually planning to establish residency at all and not switch your license. But if you WANT to have PA residency (to eventually get in-state tuition or whatever else) you will need all that documentation they're looking for to prove you have in fact established it.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Way back when I did it they still made you pass a knowledge test, and I goofed it the first time! I believe I went to the state office downtown back then (this was over 20 years ago) but since then there's nothing I need the state offices for except to get my photo every 4 years. All renewal is by mail/online and when I did do a car titling thing I did that through AAA, which runs their own "messenger service" as it is known in PA. Basically the private businesses associated with notary and messenger service perform most of the functions of DMVs, and most times people use that because real DMV offices are few and far between and inconvenient. The messenger places do charge for their services but they make up for it in the convenience.

You don't need to do the PA license until you truly "establish residency", and the 60-day clock technically starts from that point. If you like you can generally argue that as a student you're not actually planning to establish residency at all and not switch your license. But if you WANT to have PA residency (to eventually get in-state tuition or whatever else) you will need all that documentation they're looking for to prove you have in fact established it.

yep, im trying to establish myself as a new permanent resident of this northern state

that and so I can try to get in-state rates next year lol. im coming up Thursday to view the apartment and then driving back down to Virginia that same Thursday. Hellish ride ill tell you, especially once I hit the NOVA/DC traffic on 70/270/495.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
yep, im trying to establish myself as a new permanent resident of this northern state

that and so I can try to get in-state rates next year lol. im coming up Thursday to view the apartment and then driving back down to Virginia that same Thursday. Hellish ride ill tell you, especially once I hit the NOVA/DC traffic on 70/270/495.
Are you heading somewhere inside the beltway in NOVA? If not you could take other routes perhaps, like 70 to 522 to 81 to 66 or something. Depends upon where you're going. It's not shorter probably in distance but it might be shorter in time depending upon your timing and destination. Doing that in one day though, you shouldn't really NEED to be driving through the DC rush traffic unless you have something specific to get back for. You could just delay your return a little. Don't drive out to the east from here though past around, eh, 3:00 say, that'll get nasty enough too, not like DC rush but bad enough with the tunnel LOL.

So I don't remember the details of your arrangement but to get the residency as you saw on the web site linked you'll need either lease and util in your name OR if nothing's in your name you need some mail going to that address plus drag the other guy in with you to witness it all. Fun stuff! Remember cell phone is not a utility! Lame but true. Plus, you know, physical mail, who gets that anymore? Heheh.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Are you heading somewhere inside the beltway in NOVA? If not you could take other routes perhaps, like 70 to 522 to 81 to 66 or something. Depends upon where you're going. It's not shorter probably in distance but it might be shorter in time depending upon your timing and destination. Doing that in one day though, you shouldn't really NEED to be driving through the DC rush traffic unless you have something specific to get back for. You could just delay your return a little. Don't drive out to the east from here though past around, eh, 3:00 say, that'll get nasty enough too, not like DC rush but bad enough with the tunnel LOL.

So I don't remember the details of your arrangement but to get the residency as you saw on the web site linked you'll need either lease and util in your name OR if nothing's in your name you need some mail going to that address plus drag the other guy in with you to witness it all. Fun stuff! Remember cell phone is not a utility! Lame but true. Plus, you know, physical mail, who gets that anymore? Heheh.

well I reside in Vienna, so ill need to take the beltway. not sure how 15/81/66 would be to be honest. I don't feel like taking 15 to 81 then 66. feels like a longer work around. I don't plan to leave the city until 5pm or so.

it takes me anywhere from 2.5 hrs to 3.5 hours to get to or from the Monroeville area back to my house.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
well I reside in Vienna, so ill need to take the beltway. not sure how 15/81/66 would be to be honest. I don't feel like taking 15 to 81 then 66. feels like a longer work around. I don't plan to leave the city until 5pm or so.

it takes me anywhere from 2.5 hrs to 3.5 hours to get to or from the Monroeville area back to my house.
Nah, Vienna would not be good for any alternate routes. Well, it shows 26 miles more for a generic "Vienna" destination to go on 66. And about half an hour more time. If you leave here at 5pm though you won't be in any significant DC rush traffic when you get back, just normal evening stuff. So there wouldn't be any reason to go that way. You will have some Pittsburgh rush though, such as it is.

2.5 hours? You drive like 100mph? 3.5 I can believe. 2.5 you'd have to average over 90mph.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Nah, Vienna would not be good for any alternate routes. Well, it shows 26 miles more for a generic "Vienna" destination to go on 66. And about half an hour more time. If you leave here at 5pm though you won't be in any significant DC rush traffic when you get back, just normal evening stuff. So there wouldn't be any reason to go that way. You will have some Pittsburgh rush though, such as it is.

2.5 hours? You drive like 100mph? 3.5 I can believe. 2.5 you'd have to average over 90mph.
I tend to go 90-95, especially once you cross over into pa on 70 from md. I don't know why its like 35-45 mph there for 22 miles until breezewood. makes no sense.

I also tend to slow down before the allegheney tunnel, a hot spot of cops each time I go to pa lol.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,031 times
Just did this today. You need a check or money order for $29.50, your VA drivers license (they gave me mine back, just with a hole punched in it), social security card, one document that demonstrates your identity (can be either birth certificate or passport), and two documents that show you are a resident of PA (can be your lease, utility bill statement, or pay stub). The full list of acceptable documentation is on the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh