Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM

10,255 posts, read 10,502,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHGirl424 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I got a fellowship with CDC-NIOSH (and I believe it is located in Carrick). I just finished grad school and none of my classmates have found a job yet, so I'm lucky
If your fellowship is at:

National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL)
626 Cochrans Mill Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15236

this facility is in South Park Township, which is 5-6 miles from Carrick. I think you could find better places than Carrick to live such as South Park or Pleasant Hills. It is not the best location and Route 51, which is the major road in that area, is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,892,230 times
I strongly recommend Brookline, but of course I live there and think it is one of the most underrated neighborhoods in the city. It is a good jumping off point for moving to Pittsburgh. You do not need to worry about navigating the South Side Slopes, you don't have to deal with the parking of the South Side Flats, crime is not an issue as in some other hilltop neighborhoods, and it is well located for you job. An easy commute and easy living are what you want to focus on when you move to a new city, it allows you concentrate on finding a group of friends and getting established. You can be in Lawrenceville and the East End in around 15 mins if you take the Tubes to Bigelow Blvd , you have all the shopping you need in the South Hills (including the pretty great new Fresh Market on 19), you have a pretty solid weekday bus route, and a business district that allows you to walk around and meet people.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I strongly recommend Brookline, but of course I live there and think it is one of the most underrated neighborhoods in the city. It is a good jumping off point for moving to Pittsburgh. You do not need to worry about navigating the South Side Slopes, you don't have to deal with the parking of the South Side Flats, crime is not an issue as in some other hilltop neighborhoods, and it is well located for you job. An easy commute and easy living are what you want to focus on when you move to a new city, it allows you concentrate on finding a group of friends and getting established. You can be in Lawrenceville and the East End in around 15 mins if you take the Tubes to Bigelow Blvd , you have all the shopping you need in the South Hills (including the pretty great new Fresh Market on 19), you have a pretty solid weekday bus route, and a business district that allows you to walk around and meet people.
Not to mention Las Palmas, Cannon Coffee, Pitaland, Isis Cafe, and a bunch of other cool places (bakery, pretzel shop, African foods store, Greek restaurant, laundromat, dry cleaners, beer distributor, convenience store, pizza shop, barber, library) are all in walking distance.

Better not tell too many people about Brookline, I like having abundant parking spaces.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,044 times
Thank you all so much for the information! I really appreciate it! It sounds like Brookline is a good option.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM

9 posts, read 14,090 times
Been living in Carrick for 40 years and the homes are affordable and the neighbors wonderful. Visitors remark how the homes are well kept and it's just like living in the suburbs, but without the commuting hassles and the high taxes. Look around here and we are the best kept secret in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearscounting View Post
Been living in Carrick for 40 years and the homes are affordable and the neighbors wonderful. Visitors remark how the homes are well kept and it's just like living in the suburbs, but without the commuting hassles and the high taxes. Look around here and we are the best kept secret in Pittsburgh.
While the houses are absolutely affordable and the location is fantastic, the crime, litter, infrastructure problems, further decling business district and awful high school keep Carrick for being a contender of places I'd recommend. With that being said, if you can find a nice "pocket" in the neighborhood where you can avoid those it can be a decent place to live. But since you don't know where those might be until after you bought a house you're making a huge gamble.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
While the houses are absolutely affordable and the location is fantastic, the crime, litter, infrastructure problems, further decling business district and awful high school keep Carrick for being a contender of places I'd recommend. With that being said, if you can find a nice "pocket" in the neighborhood where you can avoid those it can be a decent place to live. But since you don't know where those might be until after you bought a house you're making a huge gamble.
I really do foresee Brookline really taking off, though, in the future in terms of housing costs. I said this in another thread, but I really do foresee Brookline Boulevard evolving over the next 5-10 years as the middle-class version of Shadyside's Walnut Street (sans most of the chains, although I could foresee a Crazy Mocha or Starbucks moving in). The Southern Hilltop neighborhoods of the city proper are just begging for a walkable business district similar to Carson Street, Butler Street, Walnut Street, etc. in other parts of the city. I believe Brookline Boulevard will be it.

Once Brookline's housing prices appreciate to a certain tipping point many more upstanding working-class people who can no longer afford the relatively "high housing prices" of Brookline will move to Carrick and help gentrify it, also. This has currently been happening with Millvale's recent success mostly being from siphoning off those who are being priced out of Lawrenceville's entry-level housing market. Greenfield has benefited from Squirrel Hill and Oakland both having rapidly escalating housing prices in recent years, and I suspect Greenfield's business district will also improve in the years to come. I also suspect Mt. Lebanon's high housing prices helped to reinvigorate Dormont and its business district.

Of course Carrick High School, as you said, being "awful" is one of the biggest roadblocks. I'm not that familiar with the South Hills as I tend to prance around the North Hills annoying Copanut in my spare time, but does Brookline also feed into Carrick High School? If it does, then as Brookline gentrifies in the future the socioeconomic demographics of the high school may change for the better, leading to more people to consider Carrick.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 14,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I really do foresee Brookline really taking off, though, in the future in terms of housing costs. I said this in another thread, but I really do foresee Brookline Boulevard evolving over the next 5-10 years as the middle-class version of Shadyside's Walnut Street (sans most of the chains, although I could foresee a Crazy Mocha or Starbucks moving in). The Southern Hilltop neighborhoods of the city proper are just begging for a walkable business district similar to Carson Street, Butler Street, Walnut Street, etc. in other parts of the city. I believe Brookline Boulevard will be it.

Once Brookline's housing prices appreciate to a certain tipping point many more upstanding working-class people who can no longer afford the relatively "high housing prices" of Brookline will move to Carrick and help gentrify it, also. This has currently been happening with Millvale's recent success mostly being from siphoning off those who are being priced out of Lawrenceville's entry-level housing market. Greenfield has benefited from Squirrel Hill and Oakland both having rapidly escalating housing prices in recent years, and I suspect Greenfield's business district will also improve in the years to come. I also suspect Mt. Lebanon's high housing prices helped to reinvigorate Dormont and its business district.

Of course Carrick High School, as you said, being "awful" is one of the biggest roadblocks. I'm not that familiar with the South Hills as I tend to prance around the North Hills annoying Copanut in my spare time, but does Brookline also feed into Carrick High School? If it does, then as Brookline gentrifies in the future the socioeconomic demographics of the high school may change for the better, leading to more people to consider Carrick.
So not familiar with the South Hills but you can say with certainty that Carrick is an awful school? Carrick has Honors Programs down to general population classes. Brookline feeds into Brashear HS which is similar to Carrick, both good HS. There are pockets of affordable nice housing in both communities. Litter pickups are scheduled twice per year along with cleaning up dumps which existed in the past 40 years but are now clean.
There was an Open House meeting the other night and there are dozens of projects with Carrick's neighbors of Brentwood, Baldwin and Whitehall. Come to the meetings and meet the people involved and see for yourself.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearscounting View Post
So not familiar with the South Hills but you can say with certainty that Carrick is an awful school? Carrick has Honors Programs down to general population classes. Brookline feeds into Brashear HS which is similar to Carrick, both good HS. There are pockets of affordable nice housing in both communities. Litter pickups are scheduled twice per year along with cleaning up dumps which existed in the past 40 years but are now clean.
There was an Open House meeting the other night and there are dozens of projects with Carrick's neighbors of Brentwood, Baldwin and Whitehall. Come to the meetings and meet the people involved and see for yourself.
I was simply recanting what Aqua Teen Carl had posted. Since he went there relatively recently and has posted about his negative experiences with Carrick HS in the past I was using him as my source.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,931,019 times
I have to chime in with defense of Carrick High School, as well. It's common to bash the city high schools across the board because they're not up to the "standards" of other schools. But I've known and still meet recent graduates of Carrick, Brashear, and Westinghouse who made it through alive, are academically adept, and ready for the world. Most have gone to college or are in college and have bright futures. Those neighborhoods contain a lot of middle class families who participate with their kids in their schooling, work with the school and are involved in sports and other fundraisers. So to make a blanket comment that the schools are "awful" in the city is a gross generalization. Yes, I know someone will post a test score graph and cite crime statistics from some website, but those figures do not show that for many families, these "undersirable" neighborhoods are home and these families are working to make them better rather than fleeing scared to another district that ranks better in a Business Times survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh