Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times

Advertisements

Every time I have a small project I'd like done, I seem to have one hell of a time finding someone to do it! When I searched for someone to clean my windows, that was like finding a needle in a haystack. Fortunately, my neighbor's nephew pulled through on that one...

Now, I need just the end of my driveway asphalted/concreted. Basically, every driveway in my little plan has a drop-off from the driveways that easily scratches cars. I don't need the entire driveway redone, I just need someone to create a nice little slope/ramp at the end that levels out better with the street.

Can anyone recommend a company or an independent person that might be able to tackle a small job such as this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
I don't have a recommendation, but that part of the driveway is called an "apron." That might help you in finding someone or at least in describing it to them.

You'll probably have more luck looking for a "handyman" service than a concrete or driveway company. Especially if you just want to add some concrete/asphalt at the end of the apron to make it taper more gently to the road, rather than replacing the entire apron. Something like that would probably be too small of a job for the big companies.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:59 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
Besides looking for a handyman as mentioned in the previous truck, you may want to check around to become familiar with getting/pricing the concrete itself (that's if you're going with concrete).

Let's say the area is 10'x10'x6" = 1.85 yards of concrete

You'll have 3 options:
1) Bags - using 60# bags, that's going to take about 100 of them. That's a bit too much labor.
2) Concrete truck - The big ones you see with the spinning drum normally have a 3-yard minimum. Concrete isn't cheap. If you don't have another use for that last yard, they're still going to want to dump it somewhere, and you're paying for it. A lot of waste both in terms of product and money.
3) Find companies that have 3-4 yard mixer trucks. They're much smaller trucks so they can get into tighter neighborhoods and don't normally need road bonding. They also mix on the spot and only what you need. Basically, they keep mixing and pouring on the spot then measure what's been used and charge accordingly. Be advised that this will be a bit more expensive per yard compared to the large trucks but they're much better suited for this size need, and you won't have to pay for that 1+ yard to meet the 3 yard minimum.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Now, I need just the end of my driveway asphalted/concreted. Basically, every driveway in my little plan has a drop-off from the driveways that easily scratches cars. I don't need the entire driveway redone, I just need someone to create a nice little slope/ramp at the end that levels out better with the street.
I just re-read your post.

Do you have concrete there now and you just want a better taper? If so, you're not going to be able to just lay the new concrete over the old. Some or all of the old will need removed.

Basically, any concrete less than 4" will quickly crack and break away. It's even worse when putting new concrete over old since water will get between the 2 layers, freeze then break up all the stuff on top.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
can the OP post a picture of said driveway? it would help to see what would actually need to be done and also where are you located? I might know a person willing to do the work or would maybe be interested in doing it myself.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
can the OP post a picture of said driveway? it would help to see what would actually need to be done and also where are you located? I might know a person willing to do the work or would maybe be interested in doing it myself.
When I get home from work, I'll gladly post a picture of the area I'm hoping to have fixed.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do have an existing "fix" on the area now...it was an attempt from my father to use some form of bagged asphalt from Home Depot. That didn't go so well and just looks like crap now!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
yeah that stuff can work for a temp solution but wont make it through a winter.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
When I get home from work, I'll gladly post a picture of the area I'm hoping to have fixed.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do have an existing "fix" on the area now...it was an attempt from my father to use some form of bagged asphalt from Home Depot. That didn't go so well and just looks like crap now!
My father had III Generation Paving at 412-243-7283 do a small patch job on his driveway where a truck dug into the pavement. They also redid the front portion of his neighbors driveway. Both asphalt. He was very happy with the work. He then had them do a concrete pad under his deck. Again, very happy. Both were not big jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: