Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
I don't understand Krugman's explanation, either. A couple of points:

1. Krugman notes that the metro areas of both Pittsburgh and Detroit were doing comparably until about 2006. But Detroit went ghetto long before that: its white population went from 70% of the city in 1960 to 30% of the city in 1980. The white population didn't flee the area; it just fled the city for the suburbs. So we have the question: if sprawl caused Detroit to decline post-2006, why did it wait 25 years (from 1980 or so) to do it?
I think he's saying that sprawl created an environment that wasn't conducive to the sort of recovery that Pittsburgh has had. Not that sprawl single-handedly killed Detroit, but that sprawl put the nails in the coffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM

172 posts, read 333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I think he's saying that sprawl created an environment that wasn't conducive to the sort of recovery that Pittsburgh has had. Not that sprawl single-handedly killed Detroit, but that sprawl put the nails in the coffin.
But this just begs the question of how Pittsburgh's alleged lack of sprawl made its recovery possible. As a city resident, I want to argue that metro Pittsburgh's growth from 2006-2012 was created by things that were happening in the dense urban core: legal and banking jobs downtown; academic and medical jobs in Oakland; technical jobs in Larimer (Bakery Square) and the South Side.

I just don't think that's true. As other people have already noted, some of metro Pittsburgh's emerging job centers are the sprawling north (Westinghouse in Cranberry) and the sprawling south (shale companies in Southpointe).

My guess is that metro Detroit lost jobs after 2006 because while Obama saved the car industry, the industry that it saved has been irrevocably changed: it is more automated and offers fewer jobs, at a lower salary and with fewer benefits, than it did before. And the car industry was Detroit's economy to a far greater extent than the steel industry was Pittsburgh's economy.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM

255 posts, read 284,784 times
Another one with the same topic.

BBC News - Detroit: Six ways 'shrinking' cities try to survive

Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
I don't understand Krugman's explanation, either. A couple of points:

2. Yes, Detroit has ghettos immediately adjacent to downtown. So does Pittsburgh: it's called the Hill District.

Actually, I-579 and the former Civic Arena are a buffer between town and the Hill. The formerly depressed areas on the north side were separated by town by the Allegheny River.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Not a huge shout-out, but this was on Marketplace this evening: Is a Detroit-style default coming to city a near you? | Marketplace.org

Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politiker View Post
Name one big city in America that's conservative. I'll wait (I can think of Miami but Republicans do very well there due to Cuban poltiics).
Fort Worth. Salt Lake City. Oklahoma City. Tulsa. Those are a few.

Anyways, I might be missing something here, but I thought that the only reason Pittsburgh didn't go bankrupt was because of Pennsylvania state law preventing it and requiring the city to go through that Act 47. So, in reality, the only thing separating what happened to Pittsburgh and Detroit is state law. In other words if Michigan state law didn't allow Detroit to go bankrupt and held the city residents liable for the city's debt like Pennsylvania state law does, Detroit wouldn't be 'going bankrupt.'

Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Fort Worth. Salt Lake City. Oklahoma City. Tulsa. Those are a few.

Anyways, I might be missing something here, but I thought that the only reason Pittsburgh didn't go bankrupt was because of Pennsylvania state law preventing it and requiring the city to go through that Act 47. So, in reality, the only thing separating what happened to Pittsburgh and Detroit is state law. In other words if Michigan state law didn't allow Detroit to go bankrupt and held the city residents liable for the city's debt like Pennsylvania state law does, Detroit wouldn't be 'going bankrupt.'
You are correct. Pittsburgh has been in Act 47 since December of 2003. Act 47 in PA is a nice term for bankruptcy receivership. The mayor and council no longer have free reign on budget spending. The Act 47 board tells the mayor and council what they will accept for the budget. Union contracts and non union employee wages must also be approved by the oversight board. There was very little for capital investment in the budget until this year. The reason was Pittsburgh's credit rating was the lowest of any major US city (even Detroit) in this country's history until this year. Pittsburgh could not borrow to make capital improvements to city neighborhoods and properties due to "junk bond" status. However, the credit rating was raised recently to A- which is considered stable. Pittsburgh has around 700 million dollars in debt to deal with. The pension fund is a little over 60 percent funded.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politiker View Post
Name one big city in America that's conservative. I'll wait (I can think of Miami but Republicans do very well there due to Cuban poltiics). Even Houston has an openly gay democratic mayor.

Sprawl is a huge factor, crime, poor management. It's tragic. Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor look great though in comparison.

Although its true that there aren't many conservative cities, some like Detroit and Oakland are traditionally a lot more progressive than say, Pittsburgh or Dallas.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
Yes, Detroit has ghettos immediately adjacent to downtown. So does Pittsburgh: it's called the Hill District.
A ridiculous comparison. The Hill District has some rough spots, but it is nothing like the areas near downtown Detroit. It is not an isolated ghost town surrounded by abandoned factories like Delray. There are still middle-class people -- black and white -- in the Hill District. Sugar Top is not a "ghetto." Crawford Square, which is the part of the Hill adjacent to downtown, is not a "ghetto." The bad areas around downtown Detroit make the Hill District seem like Mayberry.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
A ridiculous comparison. The Hill District has some rough spots, but it is nothing like the areas near downtown Detroit. It is not an isolated ghost town surrounded by abandoned factories like Delray. There are still middle-class people -- black and white -- in the Hill District. Sugar Top is not a "ghetto." Crawford Square, which is the part of the Hill adjacent to downtown, is not a "ghetto." The bad areas around downtown Detroit make the Hill District seem like Mayberry.

Tend to agree, the Hill may not be totally like Mayberry, but as a big dumb white guy I could walk there and not get hassled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh