Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:02 AM

322 posts, read 299,712 times

Advertisements

I will have to take a look. I lived in Denver, and put my resume on careerbuilder and Monster. This was in may. I had 5 interviews set up. I went to three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
The topography in Pennsylvania as a whole is extremely unique to this country and is quite beautiful. It is also very problematic, sometimes.

For example, Pennsylvania actually has more miles of highway than any other state in the country. Why? Because we have so many mountains, plateaus, hills, valleys, rivers, and even coast line! But what really makes the difference is that people live in and on every one of these things which I find to be so charming and cool!!

We need highways to reach around and up and down and through and over more than any other state!!

Western Pennsylvania is extremely reminiscent of Europe, actually. That is why we had such a huge in-migration of different types of Europeans at one point, it reminded them of home. I know that's true because I've heard it from both sides of my family (German and Italian) who were right off the boat!
The steel and mining compainies recruited people from Europe and paid their way over (probably in steerage) to work in the mills and mines. That it reminded them of home was somewhat of a bonus. Some did come to the US voluntarily. Lots of Germans settled in parts of the midwest, too, and Italians everywhere, including San Francisco (which supposedly looks more like Italy) and Denver. The Swedes came to Minn. and the upper midwest because of the Homestead Act, which gave them land if they worked it.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how much nationwide coverage the Pittsburgh mayoral race received, though.
It received none here. And I missed it on msn; I did look.

Quote:
Yes we are and I believe it is inevitable at this point. Thanks in large part to the sprawl cities and their housing burst!
Re: recession

Pittsburgh seems to be having its own housing bust right now, according to the Post Gazette.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 AM

The housign bust is a nation wide problem. It is worse in other cities then others. The worst hit is the sprawl belt.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:20 AM

For those who care, Matt Robinson put out another Pittsburgh picture set for the fall this time.

All his sets are at pittsburghskyline.com One of the greatest urban photographers I have ever seen. He shows how unique Pittsburgh is through artistic Photographs instead of just being like me and bickering about it!

Falls Colors of Pittsburgh - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 11-10-2007, 09:22 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,347 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh seems to be having its own housing bust right now, according to the Post Gazette.
Our overall sales are slightly down and our overall foreclosures are somewhat up, but it's nothing AT ALL compared to most of the country as a whole. We still haven't experienced net-deprecation. In fact, once or twice over the last six months we saw some really strong gains in appreciation, one month was like 17% or so. It's in Happenings, as well.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM

That is a good thing. The article I was referring to, posted on CD, said housing starts were significantly down in Pgh.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Lets try to keep this thread on track please. It is about good and unique things you find about Pittsburgh.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,107 times
Thumbs up Nice Pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
For those who care, Matt Robinson put out another Pittsburgh picture set for the fall this time.

All his sets are at pittsburghskyline.com One of the greatest urban photographers I have ever seen. He shows how unique Pittsburgh is through artistic Photographs instead of just being like me and bickering about it!

Falls Colors of Pittsburgh - SkyscraperPage Forum
Fabulous pictures. Thanks for the link!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Fabulous pictures. Thanks for the link!
make sure to check out his main site: Pittsburghskyline.com

It is great. He has better sets in there. He also does pictures of other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh