Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Some of you urbanites should lease a bus and drive out to The Narcissi Winery in Gibsonia, great pizza, good wine, great location. Don't be afraid to drive over a river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It actually amazes me that for as large, diverse, and wealthy as Squirrel Hill is its business district is nearly entirely comprised of pizzerias or Asian restaurants in terms of eateries with a few outliers thrown in for good measure.
People in Squirrel Hill eat in bars. There are 5 bars (Squirrel Cage, Silky's, Murray Ave. Grill, Fanatics, and Frankie & Georgie's). Plus a lesbian bar that I'm not going to count as separate because it's attached to the last on the list there. That's nearly the same as the number of pizza places. If you want you can argue that Murray Ave. Grill is more of a restaurant, but with the quacking like a duck and all, I'm saying it's a bar.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
People in Squirrel Hill eat in bars. There are 5 bars (Squirrel Cage, Silky's, Murray Ave. Grill, Fanatics, and Frankie & Georgie's). Plus a lesbian bar that I'm not going to count as separate because it's attached to the last on the list there. That's nearly the same as the number of pizza places. If you want you can argue that Murray Ave. Grill is more of a restaurant, but with the quacking like a duck and all, I'm saying it's a bar.
I lived in Squirrel Hill for ten years, and the only place I've been to from this list is the Murray Avenue Grill, which has pretty good food. The rest I think of as bars, and since I don't drink or smoke, I never went into any of them. I've heard the Squirrel Cage has decent burgers. I've never even heard of Frankie & Georgie's.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
I must look up Fanatics - missed that one somehow. Usually hit Silky's, and do like the low-key Murray Ave Grill bar area. Frankie and Georgie's was weird the night we went in - a kind of suppressed gay feel. It was pretty empty so hard to gauge.

I actually suspect most people in Squirrel Hill eat in Asian restaurants, of which there are many fine examples

Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I lived in Squirrel Hill for ten years, and the only place I've been to from this list is the Murray Avenue Grill, which has pretty good food. The rest I think of as bars, and since I don't drink or smoke, I never went into any of them. I've heard the Squirrel Cage has decent burgers. I've never even heard of Frankie & Georgie's.
Silky's is non-smoking and has a full kitchen. Lots of people go there without drinking, especially earlier.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I actually suspect most people in Squirrel Hill eat in Asian restaurants, of which there are many fine examples
From the street, it seems like the newer Asian restaurants draw their customers disproportionately, but certainly not exclusively, from the Asian population.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
From the street, it seems like the newer Asian restaurants draw their customers disproportionately, but certainly not exclusively, from the Asian population.
hmm ... I'm not Asian but love the food in Squirrel Hill. I'm not the only non-Asian, believe me, not by a long way

Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
hmm ... I'm not Asian but love the food in Squirrel Hill. I'm not the only non-Asian, believe me, not by a long way
The qualifiers I used were carefully chosen. Squirrel Hill is less than 15% Asian, so if a third of the people in the restaurant are Asian, that's what I meant by disproportionately Asian. All restaurants in the area have a customer base that is a long way from exclusively Asian, unless you take the long view and figure that Jewish = Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh