Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
According to the PA state park regulations:

See bottom of page 10 http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...t/d_001192.pdf

State parks don't have that many employees so the chance of getting caught is pretty slim unless you're having an underage all night long keg party. The area where I camped at Ohiopyle got very quiet after dark since many of the people there were getting up early to go kayaking.
thx for that - and yep, with discretion, I'd risk it ... probably will next weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If the pictures I'm finding online are accurate, that looks like a nice KOA. I've never seen a nice one. They always look like parking lots to me with no privacy between campsites. It's good to know that some KOA's are nice. I'd be afraid to chance staying at other KOA's without knowing for sure.
I will say that it is not going to be private...there still are sites beside each other but the tent area is off to the side. I was never bothered by KOA's...having camped across country several times we knew they would be maintained to a certain level. But I would not stay a week at any campground that was parking lot like.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Even on your campsite? I'd have to check but I thought if your staying there, you can drink as much as you like. I must check - I want to go camping next weekend and sobriety is not an option

Stayed on a nice campsite up near Butler last month. And drank happily - it was private though
Really?

Why is that?

Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Really?

Why is that?
you ever tried staying sober while drinking an excellent 10 year old Australian Semillon or Shiraz?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Woy Bridge near Everett, PA is about at the limit of your 3 hour range. Campsites always seemed relatively spaced out with many of them right on the beautiful Juniata River. I've been to Bear Run next to Moraine. The primitive sites are OK but didn't care for it since you aren't on the water. Rivers Edge near Connelsville is great if you can get a site next to the Yough (and the bike trail). But, they really pack those sites in too tight for my liking.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Woy Bridge near Everett, PA is about at the limit of your 3 hour range. Campsites always seemed relatively spaced out with many of them right on the beautiful Juniata River. I've been to Bear Run next to Moraine. The primitive sites are OK but didn't care for it since you aren't on the water. Rivers Edge near Connelsville is great if you can get a site next to the Yough (and the bike trail). But, they really pack those sites in too tight for my liking.
thx - great info. I shall check these out.

Bear Run at Moraine was where we stayed recently. I liked it, but yep, on water would be nice.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Thank you for this information!

If drinking isn't a criteria, the Allegheny National Forest campsites at Kinzua are nice. Some of them are next to the water.

Drinking isn't my criteria. My husband and I rarely drink but we wouldn't let drinking rules stop us from having a glass if wine if we wanted to. I realize these rules are to prevent the loud, drunken camping parties. But I have a young adults who feel these rules are oppressing their freedom to drink even though they aren't big drinkers and wouldn't likely drink while camping with the family anyways.

My thanks to everyone for suggestions. WV is a good idea too. We haven't camped down there is 10 years.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM

62 posts, read 160,781 times
Scarlett Knob near Ohiopyle prohibits alcohol at the Family Sites, but not the Group Sites. I stayed there once. It is really close to the park and you can definitely drink in the Group Site area.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 AM

480 posts, read 611,845 times
Scarlett Knob is good. We got so wild there I'm banned though.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
If you are willing to go a little further, check out areas along the Potomac between Maryland and West Virginia. Specifically, areas east of Cumberland (Paw-Paw, Great Capacon, Berkley Springs, etc...). I have not camped there, only rented cabins, but the area is very remote and quite beautiful. The river runs clear and 3-4 feet deep which is perfect for canoeing, tubing, etc... This area would be very accessible from the turnpike (about 45 mins south of Breezewood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh