Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 AM

92 posts, read 92,492 times

Advertisements

much anger in this thread.

I'm still looking forward to coming to Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
I thought Houston was actually cheaper the Pittsburgh.
Definitely not!!
Quote:
I really don't buy the whole women make less argument. I just dont. We have women architects in my office that i assume make more then men there. They do more that is for sure. People are paid on the job they do for a company, not if they are a man or women.
This phenomenon isn't unique to Pittsburgh by any means. On a national level, women get paid less than men, and yes, even when working the exact same job. It isn't right, HOWEVER, I won't get into the little experiment my class did at Duquesne on this subject matter, it would turn into a huge sexist debate. Let me just put it this way, the results were astounding and even the young ladies in my class (of which highly outnumber the men) were shocked to discover that women are women's own worst enemy and the glass ceiling is heavily self-fulfilling. It's a ashame.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,812 times
I haven't made any commitments. It's still a year and a half until I graduate. There are some decent M.E. jobs here in western PA. I'm just leery of doing anything related to manufacturing because of outsourcing. Then again, if the value of the dollar keeps falling relative to other currencies (because of the trade deficits) that will make imports more expensive. Companies will have less incentive to outsource. I guess it goes to show that a free-market system is self-regulating to a large extent.

One way or the other, global demand for petroleum is soaring and will continue to do so as China and India grow. Think gasoline is expensive now? Just wait 5 or 10 years. Houston is home to many large oil-related businesses, so part of me thinks it would be crazy to not take advantage that booming industry.

The main problem with Houston is the crazy traffic. They are just now starting to build an extensive rail network. Their housing costs are on-par with Pittsburgh. The main reason they avoided the housing bubble is due to their high property taxes, which kept out speculators (thank goodness). The high property taxes are offset by the lack of income tax in Texas. Unless I were to buy a big expensive house in Houston, my taxes would be about the same in both places.

If I chose Houston, I would definitely make living close to work a big priority, even if it meant higher rents. The "energy corridor" is located near the western suburbs, so if I were to get a job there, commuting would be less of a problem.

But then again Pittsburgh definitely has its perks. Closer to family, moderate climate, hills, bridges, architecture, etc. It won't be an easy decision when the time comes.

Last edited by kpoeppel; 11-11-2007 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 10:51 AM

44 posts, read 127,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
I really don't buy the whole women make less argument. I just dont. We have women architects in my office that i assume make more then men there. They do more that is for sure. People are paid on the job they do for a company, not if they are a man or women.
You "assume" these women make more? How scientific.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 AM

322 posts, read 300,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_B. View Post
much anger in this thread.

That is the nature of this forum I think. I admit that I get angry sometimes because I am very proud of being a Pittsburgher, and get upset when people come in and say really ignorant things about the city. Especially when they either moved away 20 years ago, live in the suburbs, or just say flat out lies about it.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
We are looking forward to having you. :P

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM

44 posts, read 127,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Definitely not!!

This phenomenon isn't unique to Pittsburgh by any means. On a national level, women get paid less than men, and yes, even when working the exact same job. It isn't right, HOWEVER, I won't get into the little experiment my class did at Duquesne on this subject matter, it would turn into a huge sexist debate. Let me just put it this way, the results were astounding and even the young ladies in my class (of which highly outnumber the men) were shocked to discover that women are women's own worst enemy and the glass ceiling is heavily self-fulfilling. It's a ashame.
Please elaborate on your statement that "women are women's own worst enemy and the glass ceiling is heavily self-fulfilling".

322 posts, read 300,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglewaggle View Post
You "assume" these women make more? How scientific.
How do you know. Did you add any scientific data in your argument?

Quote:
That is the nature of this forum I think. I admit that I get angry sometimes because I am very proud of being a Pittsburgher, and get upset when people come in and say really ignorant things about the city. Especially when they either moved away 20 years ago, live in the suburbs, or just say flat out lies about it.
Ditto. People CAN and do have negative things to say about the Burgh, that isn't fundamentally bad or wrong, of course!!!! But some people here do nothing but smear and slander when we'd rather hear constructive criticism and ways to improve things in Pittsburgh that need improving.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:55 AM

92 posts, read 92,492 times
I've lived in 5 different cities in my life. They ALL have good points and bad points. If you don't like a city - LEAVE and look forward. I hated the midwest (for myself) but I would never say it sin't right for some others. We are all different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh