Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 AM

322 posts, read 299,712 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of here. I am going to the sprawlbelt where everything is going to be peaches and cream. I can't take it here anymore. Just yesterday I was walking my dog on S. Negley ave and a homeless person came up to me and tried to pee on my pooch! There is nothing but trash and falling down buildings everywhere. The bus drivers here make so much more money then most people in Squirell hill, Regent Square, Shadyside, and Point Breeze. It is a shame! In the sprawl belt they all make the same amount of money!

You Pittsburghers are as backwards as it comes. You can't do anything right. There is no redevelopment going on in this crappy city. You just let the abandoned steel mills sit there and rust away. You don't even think of tearing them down for other office space, or mixed use redevelopment. In the sprawlbelt there is so much construction. Places like Northern Georgia are tearing down forest land acres at a time. Faster then the rainforest!!!! They are creating service jobs and construction jobs left and right with new targets, Wal Marts, and Best Buys! I can easily get a job there!

I don't need your old neighborhoods like squirell hill, shadyside, friendship, Bloomfield, Oakland, etc. I got a suv. All I need is my Suv and two car garage! I can drive and don't need to run into the ghetto rat homeless people peeing in the street! My friends wont even come to visit me! They came and I asked them if they wanted to go to see the Carnegie museums, go see the Bodies exhibit at the science center, go to a theater in the cultural district, maybe catch a concert that rolls through here like Wilco that just came by or tori amos at the Benedum center. Maybe we could hit up the incline and go up Mt. Washington for a drink, or just take a stroll downtown or Oakland to see the architecture. THey said, "Hell no! Don't you know how ghetto it is out there. We are from a suburb north of Phoenix. This urban looking city is SCARY!".

I had it with all of yinz and this town. Time to leave for greener pastures. Good ridence. Any WVscottie, I will make sure the door doesn't hit me in the azz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:32 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,107 times
I see your points...

Why do you get so upset about suburban development, though? I agree that some people have an irrational dislike for cities and think only of crime and danger. But you seem to have an irrational dislike of SUVs, suburban houses, and big-box retailers.

Remember that wooded lots are considered desirable, so developers often leave lots of trees and forest in and among the houses. I've been to the northern suburbs of Atlanta; they are very wooded indeed.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 AM

I was raised in the suburbs. This is not true of majority of suburban development. They just tear down all the trees as it is cheaper to completely clear the land for the site then to work around things.

I agree with what you said on how some people think of the city as crime and danger and I only think of the burbs as houses and big-boxes. I just get angry about people on this forum like ________ (you fill in the blank) that focuses on nothing about negative aspects of Pittsburgh, and looks at nothing positive about it. THen complains about how the sprawl belt is so much better when they just got as many problems as cities like Pittsburgh. Just different problems.

Also, I am just very pro smart growth (even though that gets some people ticked here for some reason). Smart growth is not anti-suburb. It is just developing suburbs in a more responsible manner. Take monroeville for instance. Notice how everything is built along a 5 mile stretch of highway, Nothing is walkable, it creates traffic, you sit in your car forever to go shopping, etc. I am for developing suburbs in a much better way that involves centering the town, better environmental efforts, walkable streets, retail is close by. People here think I am a anti suburb nazi. I am just for smart development. There is a difference.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:35 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,347 times
Quote:
or tori amos at the Benedum center
She's not really coming to the Benedum is she?????????????????????

Last edited by guylocke; 11-11-2007 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 09:58 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
She's not really coming to the Benedum is she?????????????????????
She was just here at the end of October.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
She was just here at the end of October.
I hate my life and want to die.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:17 AM

guylocke, you must pick up the city paper more. All the concerts that come through are in there.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
guylocke, you must pick up the city paper more. All the concerts that come through are in there.
That's the problem with this hell hole city!! There's just too much to do it's ridiculous!! I can't keep track!!

No, but seriously, I am bitterly disappointed. I wish so bad I had known that. How did I miss that??? I don't even want to talk about it, I'll just get more upset.

Last time I saw her she was at Duquesne about 4 years ago or so. She hadn't been to Pittsburgh for quite some time before that and said how lovely our city was and as special "Pittsburgh treat" she re-did a Madonna song!! I'm not sure why or what that had to do with us, but it was SO great.

During her encore, her guitarist's electronics weren't working and she started to play the piano and noticed he wasn't accompanying her. So you could hear her ask him what's wrong and he sort of shrugged and pointed to his guitar and she said, "well **** that, we'll just play something else then!"

The crowd went wild.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:35 AM

I got upset because I missed Ben Harper and wilco

Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,107 times
But anyway...back to the "Sprawl Belt" topic...

Pittsburgh's sprawl is actually pretty nice, I think. We have one major land-use restriction: gravity! It's hard to build houses and parking lots on a 45 degree angle!

Pittsburgh sprawl has all sorts of "green space" because of the topography...without the need for land-use restriction laws. Pretty sweet, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh