Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 AM

35 posts, read 159,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
No, never...the area must be excellent with great schools too, I am still looking at Mt Leb...I like it alot but I keep hearing there are rough areas and I still am not really sure where they are.
Seaharbour,
I live in Mt. Lebo and there are no rough areas. The Bower Hill area is nice with the exception of Bower Hill Road gets a little busy. If you live near a school which I believe you will then walking is not a problem until they get to high school age. Bower Hill is a little far from the high school.

The commute to the city from my house is only 10 minutes (non rush hour). I can also take the T and be there in about 25 - 30 minutes with no parking worries.

Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong with any of your three choices but my personal opinion would be go with Mt. Lebanon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,906 times
thanks for your kind post, I actually had someone write me a nasty letter to my inbox who got mad at me cause I am not from this area and am scared of a bad area..how nice was that and on thanksgiving too! GEEZ..

thanks for you kind post!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 AM

how far is mt leb to foxchapel (ridc park) is the comute awful???

Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
how far is mt leb to foxchapel (ridc park) is the comute awful???
Sea -- I don't if google is doing this all over, but if I ask for directions on google maps it will tell me what the average drive time is and what the drive time is with traffic.

I just did it and it says about 20 minutes, but 30 minutes with traffic.

I don't know how bad the traffic is. I googled Mount Lebanon pa and then got directions from RIDC park... if that makes a difference.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
thanks for your kind post, I actually had someone write me a nasty letter to my inbox who got mad at me cause I am not from this area and am scared of a bad area..how nice was that and on thanksgiving too! GEEZ..

thanks for you kind post!
You know -- I live in a not so desirable neighborhood, and usually it's not real bad here, but a few blocks over it's REAL bad.

But several years ago the woman who lives up the street was being stalked by a homeless guy, who got his girlfriend involved in it, and there were lots of fights, and lots of cop calls -- and one or two instances of guns being bandied about. (No shootings)

At the same time this was going on, we were having a gang turf war... involving people down the street.

It appeared to end after a really bad night of everyone being asked to stay inside their homes via loudspeaker, copper choppers flying overhead with search lights and tons of cops (it felt like whole police force!) swarming the neighborhood searching for someone.

A few weeks later, while I was at work, the cops showed up again at the gang member's house, and he killed himself.

The neighborhood has been pretty peaceful since. Just the regular junkies shooting up behind parked cars and nodding off....

But, unless people have lived it, it's hard for people to understand your basic unwillingness to live among that again. To a lot of people it sounds like paranoia.

But I get it.... totally.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM

OMG! Tally, that is awful, esp if you got kids...yes..it was pretty bad and I do not want to live through that again, esp owning a home and getting older now...thanks for the help, gosh i hope you can move soon, that sounds awful but we had alot of thiat where we used to live and it looked beautiful too, would of never known!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:36 PM

we had the search copters come in too, drug houses, prostitutes living with others and trying to pose as a family when they were not all related! Gosh, it is all coming back t me again! yikes! We had a very beautiful home we had to sell, but I do it again, it was not worth the sleepless nights, that is for sure.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 AM

Mt Leb may work for us, my husband will have flex time so we will be able to go in and leave whenever its conveintent for him...we really love mt leb, its rep is well known and the schools are rated very well, to more than just one report i might add....I would like to find out more bout the shopping district and the T...I want to find a nice part time job while my child is in school...Thanks for you help-...everyone!!!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 8,706 times
Talking Mt. Lebo

Be careful about the drugs in Mt. Lebanon. My daughter tells me frequently, as do friends at St. Clair Hospital ER, that Mt. Lebanon has quite a drug problem because of the accessibility of money. They just try not to let it be known. They have also had a number of major school scandals. This is the old money area that protects its reputation no matter what.
The important thing is that you parent well. Then, your child will do well at any school.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM

5 posts, read 8,706 times
Mt Leb to Fox Chapel is a nasty commute if you are going in rush hour. Traffic is horrible and 28 is one of the worst roads in the state. My husband did it for sometime and was thrilled to give up the hour + sitting in traffic. Try it out before you commit to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh