Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times

Advertisements

yeah im not looking for upscale either (for now). id like something in between college kid priced drinks(dollar beers) and where a glass of rum n coke is $9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
yeah im not looking for upscale either (for now). id like something in between college kid priced drinks(dollar beers) and where a glass of rum n coke is $9.
Aspinwall is less than 5 minutes. Heck you could walk there if you love to walk. It is a pretty laid back place. Also there is Park Bruges right there, which is pretty nice. You have one of the best coffee shops in Pittsburgh right on Highland. Lots of very educated people gather there and I can even converse with them and keep some interest. Highland Park is a pretty nice place. Enjoy.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Many of the options listed for drinking (Park Brugges, Salt of the Earth, Verde, and I think BRGR) could be stereotyped as being yuppie bars. At least, they tend towards an upscale clientele.

Kelly's and Brillobox are more hipsterish locations. The former is notably more divey, while the latter really does try to feel like an enclave of Brooklyn in Pittsburgh to some degree.

One bar not mentioned is the Sharp Edge. If you like to try out different semi-obscure beers, it's one of the best places in the city to go. The crowd is fairly mixed, though on game days it can be loud and annoying.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
Oooh, here's another recommendation, but it comes with lots of qualifiers:

If you want to spend a bit more on some nice cocktails one night, AND you happen to like sushi or tasty Latin/Asian fusion tapas, get yourself on down to Tamari (3519 Butler) for their happy hour. They have amazing mixed drinks, and incredible, incredible food. Probably my favorite place in PGH right now, and a great place to take a date.

For the cheap drinking nights, I think Remedy, Take a Break and Belvederes (4016 Butler) are about as cheap as it gets in the area. Amsterdam is a bit more, but it's also affordable, and it's not divey, in case that puts you off.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You can walk down Negley into East Liberty and Friendship to access Aldi, Crazy Mocha, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Target, Home Depot, Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, CVS, lots of banks, Tana Ethiopian, BRGR, Spoon, Pizza Sola, Union Pig & Chicken, Station Street Hot Dogs, Sharp Edge, Avenue B Restaurant, Wendy's, and much more within about a half-hour to forty minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One bar not mentioned is the Sharp Edge.
^ A-HA! I knew nobody really reads anything I post!

Old 08-02-2013, 07:36 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Sorry. Your post seemed to mostly discuss strip malls, so I sort of did gloss over it.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Sometimes your posts are too long. I would imagine if you make of point of limiting your words then people would be more likely to read them.

For an accountant you really do like your words.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Paragraphs are another area in which you're not small, I suppose you could say.

I know the paragraph we're discussing wasn't that long, but it came at the end of four very long ones.

I try to limit myself to four lines per paragraph, maximum five, when I write online. My brain doesn't process more than that, so I end up reading the first two lines and the last two lines when a paragraph goes beyond five lines. A friend of mine who has a doctorate in communications and specifically did work in this very phenomenon told me most people's brains work the same way.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I try to limit myself to four lines per paragraph, maximum five, when I write online. My brain doesn't process more than that, so I end up reading the first two lines and the last two lines when a paragraph goes beyond five lines. A friend of mine who has a doctorate in communications and specifically did work in this very phenomenon told me most people's brains work the same way.
Glad to hear that I'm not just lazy or have too short of an attention span -- I catch myself doing that a lot.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:03 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Sometimes your posts are too long. I would imagine if you make of point of limiting your words then people would be more likely to read them.

For an accountant you really do like your words.
I find SCR's posts most informative, thank-you. I rarely say that about accountants

And before we slip into a 'how everyone thinks you should write posts on forums' debate, I'll add that I really liked Eclipse on Butler in Lawrenceville on a visit last weekend. Almost too cool for itself, but excellent beer/cockail selection and friendly bar folks. Pretty easy to get to from Highland park.

I still haven't explored the Bryant St establishments, but ride past them often and they look darn tempting.

Were my paragraphs suitabley composed for readability, grammer police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh