Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,972 times

Advertisements

Please inform me of streets, locations, and etc of where it might not be safe in this township, I am looking into some rent to own type deals and I want to be sure I make a good investment? Can I spend only 170 or less and still be ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
Please inform me of streets, locations, and etc of where it might not be safe in this township, I am looking into some rent to own type deals and I want to be sure I make a good investment? Can I spend only 170 or less and still be ok?
I don't know much about Mt Lebanon, but I did find their police blotter... maybe that can give you a good idea of what's going on.

Mt. Lebanon Police Department - Police Blotter

You can always use google maps to get an idea of where you are. Just google an address you're looking at to rent or buy. The map will come up and the green arrow will be at the house. Google maps (at least on my computer) will let you glide around and keep the little arrow on that address.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:38 PM

511 posts, read 1,936,745 times
He He, thanks for that link. I love talking about the "Stormtroopers" from Mt Lebanon. I'm going to put that "Contact Us" link to good use.

To the original poster, I work in the South Hills, and there aren't any bad areas in Mt Lebanon. The "Stormtroopers" are always there when you need them, as a matter of fact, had a great laugh on my way to work yesterday watching one unit spraying markings on Cedar Blvd while another unit was parked behind and the occifer watching the other spray. As you can see by the "blotter", it's mostly petty crime.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Thank you Tallysmom I did find that and seen it was not the serious kind of crime that goes on, but i am wondering if it all gets online??? But overall I feel pretty good bout this and Bradford Woods, one of them will be my new ehome soon here, before the new year or sooner...scary but exciting, its been so long since i lived in pgh and I did not grow up on this side of town, but its where position is, with gas prices being so high, we want to live close to work and the city just in case he loses this good paying one and we have to work four jobs between us, to keep the farm, you know?

What excatly is a stormtropper vw, you got me curious here!

Old 11-11-2007, 04:55 PM

27 posts, read 143,743 times
No, to be honest there really isn't. I lived right next to Mt Lebanon in Scott Township, and there really isn't anything even close to bad anywhere in Mt Lebo. They have the best Police Dept. in the South Hills, and they are extremely proactive and tough with people who live outside the area who commit crimes there. The only thing to make note of would be near the area near Dormont where Washington Ave. turns into West Liberty, but thats only because of some of the night spots there. The overwhelming majority of the area is $200,000 homes and beautiful areas.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Thank you Tallysmom I did find that and seen it was not the serious kind of crime that goes on, but i am wondering if it all gets online??? But overall I feel pretty good bout this and Bradford Woods, one of them will be my new ehome soon here, before the new year or sooner...scary but exciting, its been so long since i lived in pgh and I did not grow up on this side of town, but its where position is, with gas prices being so high, we want to live close to work and the city just in case he loses this good paying one and we have to work four jobs between us, to keep the farm, you know?

Stormtroopers are an overzealous police force.... and the little town next to me should have had one -- the gangs and drugs have infiltrated it, and it's suffering. So I can't say it's a bad thing.

Bradford Woods also has a site that I think I linked in our other post, but I don't think they have their own police department -- probably Marshall Township Police...

Welcome to The Township of Pine Online! (http://twp.pine.pa.us/pine_publicsafety.htm - broken link)

It appears that Pine Township, Richland Township, Marshall Township and Bradford Woods share a force of 28 officers, always out roaming. But don't let that think it's under manned or more dangerous because they share -- could be that the area is so safe there's no need...

Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM

It is better to have overzealous police, yes, I seen how thrugs, drugs and losers have ruined my hometown in another part of Pgh, would not even feel safe to drive through there today, esp at night..I really admire how Mt Leb folks have kept crime out of their town, very admirable, not very common these days you know?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:55 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,331 times
Yeah, for the most part, Mt. Lebanon is pretty safe. The police blotter looks like homes on/behind Beverly Road, Uptown Mt Lebanon, and Castle Shannon seem to have the most issues.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Thanks RHIS!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 PM

511 posts, read 1,936,745 times
Quote:
"Stormtroopers" where those fighters from the original Star Wars that were in the molded white plastic outfits with headgear. Warriors.

I agree they have a very safe community and you have to hand it to them for that, but they are over ridiculous in traffic citations. For a suburban community they have an extra large arsenal of vehicles, many unmarked, to patrol the fortress known as Mt Lebanon.

Funnily enough, Mt Lebanon was featured tonight on "60 Minutes", because of the many cases of MRSA at the high school. When I first moved here I pronounced "Mt Lebanon" as it properly should be, but once you live here, you start referring to it as "Mt Lebanin". It was funny listening to Leslie Stahl refer to it the proper way and remember how I was teased when I referred to it the same way.

We were actually going to move there, but I didn't want my fiance sitting in that insane traffic at the tunnels every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh