Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

A friend just sent me the following link. It appears there is a possibility of radioactive material in some of the drinking water in western PA and Pittsburgh. Can anyone confirm this story to be true? Originally published by the NY Times according to this article.

Pittsburgh’s drinking water is radioactive, thanks to fracking. Only question is, how much? | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 PM

And now a new report that seems to contradict the initial reports.

Federal hydrofracking study shows no contamination of drinking water in Pennsylvania | syracuse.com

Wish I could find an independent study or two on the subject.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Goes to show you, we cannot trust anyone with all these agendas. People will go to any length to promote whatever they want to promote. Kind of sad really. I don't feel our water has an issue. I don't think we have gone that far. Kids are still drinking water out of school fountains. Even the jerk people that are running things have kids and at least they may consider them if no one else.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goes to show you, we cannot trust anyone with all these agendas. People will go to any length to promote whatever they want to promote. Kind of sad really. I don't feel our water has an issue. I don't think we have gone that far. Kids are still drinking water out of school fountains. Even the jerk people that are running things have kids and at least they may consider them if no one else.
Has anyone tried to get their water tested at an independent lab? That may be the only way to get the truth.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Has anyone tried to get their water tested at an independent lab? That may be the only way to get the truth.
This is very expensive, my family is going through this right now. The gas companies will pay for you to have your water tested if you let them frack, but I am not sure I would trust those results.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
This is very expensive, my family is going through this right now. The gas companies will pay for you to have your water tested if you let them frack, but I am not sure I would trust those results.
What kind of cost is involved?

I'd send it to an out of area lab that has not been involved with the fracking companies.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
didn't they say fracking causes more earthquakes than normal? and they would tend to be stronger? no idea if pgh suffers from quakes, but that is what i learned (aside from pollution). either way i think fracking shouldnt be done. hell just go buy cheap gas from a 3rd world nation; bolivia and brazil have supplies and im sure theyd sell it for cheap.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
What kind of cost is involved?

I'd send it to an out of area lab that has not been involved with the fracking companies.
The quotes my family has received range from about $1,500 to $4,000 and that is mainly because they want a broad spectrum test that is done multiple times since there is natural gas drilling surrounding their property. The baseline tests demonstrated that there were very low levels of methane and various metals like strontium in the water. The water was basically deemed safe and rather pristine by western PA standards. The first test cost them $700 and they are getting another test in the near future when the well near their property will actually be "fracked." They are also going to be on a testing schedule of once every 3 months for a year after the well is in place. For them the total cost of all the testing is going to be a little over $4,000. They are paying for these tests on their own and they have not sold out to the natural gas companies yet.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:36 PM

OP

I just realized I am talking about well water testing on a farm in western PA, are you talking about getting your water tested in Allegheny county? If so I am not sure the process associated with city water testing. I had a water test for lead when I purchased my home in Erie, but that is all that was tested for and I never looked into a more in depth test of my water that comes from the treatment plant.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
And now a new report that seems to contradict the initial reports.

Federal hydrofracking study shows no contamination of drinking water in Pennsylvania | syracuse.com

Wish I could find an independent study or two on the subject.
Different issues. One deals with the disposable of waste water from fracking. The other deals with the leakage of fracking substances into existing water tables.

I believe the studies are consistenly saying fracking is no different than any other gas or oil drilling method when it comes to polluting the aquifers. They do not say it is not a problem...but it is not a different problem.

The disposal of the waste water is a different issue about which I have seen little coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh