Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Compared to what other cities?
I've lived in Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, and while Cincinnati comes the closest to Pittsburgh in the "you're not from here, so go back where you came from" department, people there are more insular than outright rude. One weird thing about Cincinnatians is how they say "Please?" when they want one to repeat oneself. I never got that, just like the whole "n'at" thing Pittsburghers say after 95% of their sentences.

As for Columbus, these days it is so full of college kids and people from other cities/states/countries that one can easily make friends with other transplants or people with similar interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
First off, Erie is NOT Pittsburgh, and Erie is NOT a part of the Pittsburgh metro area, in ANY capacity.

Secondly, there are no lack of higher education options. Erie is home to three universities (Gannon, Mercyhurst, Penn State Behrend), as well as Fortis Institute, LECOM, and various other trade schools. As for"affordable", these days virtually NO higher education option can be considered "affordable". Besides, how far does a CCAC degree REALLY get you outside of Pittsburgh?

A healthy (or non-healthy) Pittsburgh has no bearing on Erie whatsoever. While Pittsburgh (and a few of its' suburbs like Braddock, Wilkinsburg, and McKeesport) totally went down the crapper beginning in the late '70s, Erie for the most part weathered the storm quite well. Only now, with crime on the rise and GE layoffs looming, are Detroit-like clouds starting to gather in the Flagship City. GE's problems notwithstanding, compare Erie's fortunes within the past 30 years to those of Youngstown, Ohio (another major steel manufacturer like your native 'Burgh), and YOU tell ME who came out better.

As for it "paining you" to see in-town jobs go to out-of-town applicants...well, no offense intended, but if people like YOU would stay in Pittsburgh (or Detroit, NYC, or other American cities with high expat populations here), Erie wouldn't have that problem. Just saying. Silly me, perhaps this was a roundabout way of saying that Erie's refugee population are "stealing all the jobs". I personally am not implying that, but one does hear it said around town quite often.
Two things you may have missed or not known about my previous post:

1) My job in Erie would have either likely gone unfilled or to another out of town applicant because of the very specific requirements. Additionally, my job and others like it lead to other spinoff employment opportunities for locals and increased spending in the Erie area because of the increased spending from recruiting students and bringing new young adults to the area.

2) You may not have realized that PA changed the congressional district boundaries recently for district 3 and a good portion of Butler county (Pittsburgh metro) is now part of the same district as Erie. Additionally, Mike Kelly, who is from the Pittsburgh area and resides in Butler is currently our representative. In other words, Erie is now tied to Pittsburgh regardless of opinion because of these changes and the current political representation. I have included the map below and it is nothing personal, but this change is a big thing for Erie politics and forever changes things unless the boundaries are redrawn again. I am not saying Pittsburgh and Erie have the same issues and that I agree with the changes, but it is too late they have already happened.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
Those boundaries look like they could be one HELL of a logistical headache...

Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM

494 posts, read 500,935 times
I left Pittsburgh in '85 because of the cold, miserable climate and never looked back. I grew up in Wilkinsburg in the 70s and 80s and the early years were good; however, as I entered adulthood, I decided that I needed change and diversity in my life. For me everything from the architechture, the streets, downtown, the weather is old and depressing. I get nostalgic the few times that I've returned, but that feeling fades quickly....I'm still a Steelers fan though.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,638,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
I left Pittsburgh in '85 because of the cold, miserable climate and never looked back. I grew up in Wilkinsburg in the 70s and 80s and the early years were good; however, as I entered adulthood, I decided that I needed change and diversity in my life. For me everything from the architechture, the streets, downtown, the weather is old and depressing. I get nostalgic the few times that I've returned, but that feeling fades quickly....I'm still a Steelers fan though.
My husband ( last name Arrigo) grew up in Wilkinsburg...left in 1978. ( we returned 6 years ago. )

Old 09-26-2013, 02:16 PM

510 posts, read 905,242 times
Quote:
You must have looked back a little, because here you are on the Pittsburgh thread...I kid, I kid.
I do not understand the idea of Pittsburgh's architecture being depressing, though. You must be living in Paris or Vienna now.
Anyway, I am in a position where I have been offerend a great job that would require leaving Pittsburgh. I don't want to go. I was actually hoping this thread would provide me with some good reasons to flee the city. No such luck.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
You must have looked back a little, because here you are on the Pittsburgh thread...I kid, I kid.
I do not understand the idea of Pittsburgh's architecture being depressing, though. You must be living in Paris or Vienna now.
Anyway, I am in a position where I have been offerend a great job that would require leaving Pittsburgh. I don't want to go. I was actually hoping this thread would provide me with some good reasons to flee the city. No such luck.
Why not take the job? The experience would be better and why not take a great job somewhere else? It sounds like you may have settled for a job to just live in Pittsburgh. You could always come back if you wanted. Maybe living in a different city would make you appreciate pittsburgh more. It could also have the opposite effect and change your perception that Pittsburgh is in it's own bubble and change is a struggle.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
Quote:
Patrick you took the words right out of my mouth. I was born right around the time you left and 28 years later, not much has changed. Downtown is nice during the day but really disappointing at night. There's some nice historical architecture here; however, most of it has been neglected. The culture is the real problem... People just don't give a ****. It is sad. I've seen nicer roads in the Dominican Republic. As for the weather, LOL. Today was one of those highly unusual days when the sky was perfectly clear blue with direct sunlight all day. I couldn't believe I was still in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh overall is parochial, stagnant, and gray.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Patrick you took the words right out of my mouth. I was born right around the time you left and 28 years later, not much has changed. Downtown is nice during the day but really disappointing at night. There's some nice historical architecture here; however, most of it has been neglected. The culture is the real problem... People just don't give a ****. It is sad. I've seen nicer roads in the Dominican Republic. As for the weather, LOL. Today was one of those highly unusual days when the sky was perfectly clear blue with direct sunlight all day. I couldn't believe I was still in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh overall is parochial, stagnant, and gray.

Where did you live prior to here?

Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've come and gone over the decades. I've lived in 9 states and 3 foreign countries; Germany 3 times.
Most recently I left to work overseas.
My contract is up and I return to the Pitts in November.

If I have to live in the States, it might as well be Pittsburgh.
I've seen your posts all over the World Forums, Europe Forums, even Asia Forums.

Great that you have a connection with Pittsburgh. As a person who has been living abroad for a long time myself, Pittsburgh seems to have some nice ingredients to it, that certainly appeal to me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh