Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
How can you possibly disagree that wherever you go, there you are?
Of course some people are happier in different settings. Both my husband and I have immigrated from different countries and are far happier in the US. The point is that some people will be unhappy wherever they go because they are looking at external problems when the problems are actually internal. That may not be the case for anyone on this forum but it is certainly the case for many people. My brother-in-law has lived in some of the greatest city in the world but he is never happy in them--the people are unfriendly, the streets are too dirty, etc. He hasn't looked at the common denominator. It is something to think about.
It really varies significantly from person to person.

SteelCityRising has a very realistic vision of what a place is, and what it offers. I think he already knew Pittsburgh would be a good fit for himself. In that case, the right city makes all the difference. He always had very realistic expectations and a clear sense of himself, and city B, and how he'd realistically envision himself.

I do see 'the other kind', who really have unrealistic expectations. Somehow if they can 'just get to' Dream City A, they'll become 'Person X', and on and on. For example, if they can get to Hawaii with their 3 dogs, all their lake toys, they'll certainly be able to live on a world-reknown beach while working on a hotel clerk's income. And by the way, would they also qualify for gov't services, as they are a single-parent with two special needs kids in tow.

Another dreamer that irritates me are the kinds who are in Austin Texas now, but tired of all 'the hype', so are debating between Portland or Hip City C next. Certainly another hyped city must be easier to live in, with less competition coming in, than the hyped city they are already living in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
As for the weather, LOL. Today was one of those highly unusual days when the sky was perfectly clear blue with direct sunlight all day. I couldn't believe I was still in Pittsburgh.
I love how pghdude28's brain is almost goldfish-like in that it can only retain memories about a single day of weather. The weather has been pretty perfect since Sunday, lots of sun, warming up nicely and this should extend to at least Sunday. Pretty darn fine for Fall.

The world is different to reality in the mind of pghdude28. I guess its obscured by the clouds his constant negativity projects.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:29 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
SteelCityRising has a very realistic vision of what a place is, and what it offers.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
[quote=Tiger Beer;31572588
SteelCityRising has a very realistic vision...[/QUOTE]

Interesting statement. SCR is all about how everything effects himself only. It is like the world revolves around him in his own mind. Therefore, in a sense you are correct. His view would be extremely narrow because it is all about him and it doesn't go beyond that.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
The weather has been pretty perfect since Sunday, lots of sun, warming up nicely and this should extend to at least Sunday. Pretty darn fine for Fall.
As is true in most Northeastern states, fall is Pgh's best season.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Absolutely. And I'll go one step further and say western PA gets some of the best leaf color in the country. Maybe all that rain stimulates the pigments? All I know is I love autumn in your part of the country, all the way from Pittsburgh to Cleveland. And Pittsburgh gets points over Cleveland because you guys also have better hills for seeing the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Another dreamer that irritates me are the kinds who are in Austin Texas now, but tired of all 'the hype', so are debating between Portland or Hip City C next. Certainly another hyped city must be easier to live in, with less competition coming in, than the hyped city they are already living in!
LOL yeah I've seen more than a few of those.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Excellent. I wasn't really aware of that. I'm loving it so far. Another beautiful, sunny day today, perfect for a long apres-work ride home .

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM

494 posts, read 501,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
You must have looked back a little, because here you are on the Pittsburgh thread...I kid, I kid.
I do not understand the idea of Pittsburgh's architecture being depressing, though. You must be living in Paris or Vienna now.
Anyway, I am in a position where I have been offerend a great job that would require leaving Pittsburgh. I don't want to go. I was actually hoping this thread would provide me with some good reasons to flee the city. No such luck.
You're right, Pittsburgh does have some great architechture. The reality is that there's a part of me that likes Pittsburgh as a place to visit ( The Autum color is hard to beat) but, like many others I've met who have left, would never live there again.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
You're right, Pittsburgh does have some great architechture. The reality is that there's a part of me that likes Pittsburgh as a place to visit ( The Autum color is hard to beat) but, like many others I've met who have left, would never live there again.
I must confess I feel that way about my old home town, It's a helluva lot nicer than it was in 70's and 80's when I lived there, and has seriously regenerated. In fact it'd be a completely pleasant place to live, with lots of great things happening, but I'd never go back for more than a week or two. Maybe 'familiarity breeds contempt', or some more appropriate, less-contemptuous phrase represents what happens to folks like me and maybe patrick?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I must confess I feel that way about my old home town, It's a helluva lot nicer than it was in 70's and 80's when I lived there, and has seriously regenerated. In fact it'd be a completely pleasant place to live, with lots of great things happening, but I'd never go back for more than a week or two. Maybe 'familiarity breeds contempt', or some more appropriate, less-contemptuous phrase represents what happens to folks like me and maybe patrick?
There's probably something to that. Many people don't view their hometowns through the lens of an outsider, like they would a place they're new to or just visiting. When people move to a new city, they join clubs or try new restaurants or see the local attractions or drive around, which is all stuff they may not do when they live somewhere or when they go back to visit. I think it's fine that some of the younger people who grew up here want to see new places and have new experiences, but if their dislike of Pittsburgh is based on the fact that they're bored sitting around drinking Miller Lite and playing video games with their high school friends, than it's not really a fair comparison to the place where they went on vacation and had a blast, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh