Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
His definition of livable is different from yours.
I do have a very refined sensibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM

733 posts, read 987,155 times
Congrats, PP! You have one of my favorite general worldviews of the CD board posters, and I'm excited to see where you go next.

I'm sure you already know this, but with your frugal mentality a modest mortgage would be no problem whatsoever. I say keep your options open and take the route that makes sense once presented...which I'm also sure is what you are doing, hahaha.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Now back to reality mortgages can be very helpful, especially if you are like me and have very few tax deductions.
The tax benefits of owning a house or having a mortgage mostly apply when you get into more expensive houses. They don't help at all if you don't have enough deductions to make it worth your while to itemize. Even if you get a bad rate and borrow the whole of $50,000, that's still less than $4,000 in interest for the first year of the loan. Even with property taxes, that leaves you below the standard deduction for a single person (about $6,000).

Most people will have at least a few other deductions, but you shouldn't count the full dollar amount of your deduction. Just the extra benefit you get by owning/borrowing. In other words, how much over $6,000 it is after you've added in your non-housing deductions.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
I think you will get a much nicer house if you get a mortgage. Personally, I would look at Natrona or Tarentum assuming the commute is okay for your job. Sharpsburg is rougher than you think.

Not sure who high you want to go but you might be able to squeeze into Springdale or Cheswick.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM

831 posts, read 878,781 times
Independent of the houses, if you can go without a mortgage, then my opinion is to do so. With no mortgage you have no risk, so even though you won't have the money right away to do reno, you'll be able to use all of your income to save and do it later. Plus there's a feeling of peace and calm that you get when you own your house outright.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 AM

831 posts, read 878,781 times
Also, re: the tax deduction question:

(from daveramsey.com )

Let's do the math. If you have a home with a payment of $900, and the interest portion is $830 per month, you have paid around $10,000 in interest that year, which creates a tax deduction. If, instead, you have a debt-free home, you would in fact lose the tax deduction, so the myth says keep your home mortgaged because of tax advantages.

If you don't have a $10,000 tax deduction and you're in a 30% tax bracket, you will have to pay $3,000 in taxes on that $10,000. According to the math, we should send $10,000 in interest to the bank so we don't have to send $3,000 in taxes to the IRS. Personally, I think I will live debt-free and not make a $10,000 trade for $3,000.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
If you want to push your budget higher a bit, there's a few houses which would really suit you.

This one has awful insulbrick on the outside, but the inside seems intact and in fine shape.

This one is even nicer. Strangely they leave the outside shot to the end, but it isn't bad at all.

Here's a nice home in Clairton.

And an amazing one in McKeesport.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The tax benefits of owning a house or having a mortgage mostly apply when you get into more expensive houses. They don't help at all if you don't have enough deductions to make it worth your while to itemize. Even if you get a bad rate and borrow the whole of $50,000, that's still less than $4,000 in interest for the first year of the loan. Even with property taxes, that leaves you below the standard deduction for a single person (about $6,000).

Most people will have at least a few other deductions, but you shouldn't count the full dollar amount of your deduction. Just the extra benefit you get by owning/borrowing. In other words, how much over $6,000 it is after you've added in your non-housing deductions.
True I wasn't thinking about the purchase price. The only way it would work in the OP's case would be if he were to get the max mortgage at a higher interest rate and buy a house with very high property taxes.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
That house in McKeesport is pretty sweet, Eschaton! That is some serious paneling.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
True I wasn't thinking about the purchase price. The only way it would work in the OP's case would be if he were to get the max mortgage at a higher interest rate and buy a house with very high property taxes.
It's not true. Everyone is forgetting that there is such a thing as 10 year mortgage.

Plus, county, township and school taxes on a 50k house are much higher than people think.

Plus, it's easy to increase deductions via donating clothes to Goodwill, etc., to make up the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh