Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
But to do that, I would have to refinance the house (which is almost paid off), pay closing costs and go through the whole process again - just to get his name on the deed. Legally married couples can just go down to the courthouse and put the new spouse's name on the deed. Not to get preachy, but why do I have to jump through a bunch of hoops and extra expense to have the same outcome that married people get automatically?
...cuz people in the rural "T" of PA think we spread AIDS through handshakes because that's what their pastors tell them. That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I have a feeling a Democrat will defeat Gov. Corbett, and then legalization will soon follow.
He probably won't run again. I imagine the Shalies have paid him enough that he doesn't need to work for the rest of his life.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
He probably won't run again. I imagine the Shalies have paid him enough that he doesn't need to work for the rest of his life.
What the frack are you saying? Corbett is a real American and only investigated Sandusky about 4 years too late. Also, Corbett would never increase taxes on hard working Pennsylvanians.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
But to do that, I would have to refinance the house (which is almost paid off), pay closing costs and go through the whole process again - just to get his name on the deed. Legally married couples can just go down to the courthouse and put the new spouse's name on the deed. Not to get preachy, but why do I have to jump through a bunch of hoops and extra expense to have the same outcome that married people get automatically?
When the mortgage is paid off, you should do it to protect your partner from paying 15%. It's not fair, but it's definitely important to protect your property. I'm sure your partner is paying into the household expenses. Until you do the legal work to protect him, he will be paying inheritance tax on something he has been paying into. You're basically protesting the unfairness at his financial expense.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
We will definitely do it when the mortgage is paid off, so hopefully I won't kick before then. Some couples take out life insurance in the amount of the mortgage balance to pay the taxes should one of them die, another things legally married couples don't have to do.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I love the fact that gays can now get married. Welcome to my frickin' world!

Think about it, wedding cakes, flowers, Fire halls, rings, you name it, the biz will double. And 3 years from now the first gay divorce. What a money maker!!!

Just kidding.

Copanut

Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
What the frack are you saying? Corbett is a real American and only investigated Sandusky about 4 years too late. Also, Corbett would never increase taxes on hard working Pennsylvanians.

Corbett is a jerk, hard to believe he got elected. 1 termer to be sure.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM

281 posts, read 340,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This just made my day! Thanks so much for posting it! I am hoping to propose marriage myself on 11/12/13, and knowing I could wed right here in Braddock makes my heart skip a beat!
Fetterman married a couple of friends of mine in the city. You need not go to Braddock. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You would, of course, both need to go to Norristown for the license, unless another PA county starts issuing them, which would be a great turn of events.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I say drive out to Montgomery County and get those licenses before someone puts a stop to them being given out.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I say drive out to Montgomery County and get those licenses before someone puts a stop to them being given out.
Allegheny County has come leaps and bounds with being progressive. With Rich Fitzgerald and Ravenstahl, I'd like to see Allegheny County as a whole make some waves in all this as well. Granted Ravenstahl is practically hiding, so maybe we'll need to wait until Peduto. Peduto, however, is VERY pro-gay. I must say, Pennsylvania aside, I am so proud to be a resident of the city of Pittsburgh. The city and county seem to have done as much as they possibly can for equal rights until the state crawls its gnarly little ass out of the cave called the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh