Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times

Advertisements

Wife and I aren't specifically in the market for a second vehicle yet, but my 2000 pontiac isn't getting any younger. We have an opportunity to get one of the following new at around 13k (half of the listed price) with the intention of strictly using it as day to day around town vehicle. There are a few filling stations around the area (one located directly across the river in the strip district from where we live in Troy Hill) so finding fuel shouldn't be too difficult. Was wondering what the board thought of potentially owning one of these before we make a decision.

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas: New Car Review - AutoTrader.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
I'd get one if I could also get a system to refuel at home off my own gas line.

Drivers May Soon Fuel Their Natural-Gas Cars at Home - Driver's Seat - WSJ

Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
I'd get one if I could also get a system to refuel at home off my own gas line.

Drivers May Soon Fuel Their Natural-Gas Cars at Home - Driver's Seat - WSJ
I've seen those. I wonder if they make exterior models as we don't have a garage, or if I could design some kind of box to house/secure it. The cost of refueling at your home with them is supposedly about half as much as what you'll pay for natural gas at the pump, but if there's moisture in your gas it could rust out the tank/engine. I've also heard that it takes hours to fill your tank up due to the lower PSI. I'm not sure if the 3k to 6k installation price tag would make it worth it.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I'd buy a car that runs on natural gas, yes. Be a little iffy on a longer trip now but I know there are a couple fueling stations in this area that wouldn't be too far out of the way. And if I could do the home fueling, even better.

I happen to think running more cars on natural gas would be a good move.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I've seen those. I wonder if they make exterior models as we don't have a garage, or if I could design some kind of box to house/secure it. The cost of refueling at your home with them is supposedly about half as much as what you'll pay for natural gas at the pump, but if there's moisture in your gas it could rust out the tank/engine. I've also heard that it takes hours to fill your tank up due to the lower PSI. I'm not sure if the 3k to 6k installation price tag would make it worth it.
I don't imagine the long time would affect me too much. We don't ever drive much in a single day, so filling overnight isn't a big deal. No different than the current state of electric I suppose, and eventually, there'd be more natural gas stations that work for longer trips. $3K for that level of convenience sounds amazing to me. Higher than that, and then yeah, that's iffy.

I'm out of my element in terms of the "moisture in the gas" thing, I have no idea how common of an issue that would be.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Natural gas costs the moral equivalent of less than $2 a gallon. Most homeowners already have a natural gas connection. More natural gas fueling stations are coming every day. So why is there only one production natural gas car on the market? I can't figure it. Truck fleets and transit agencies are converting to natural gas.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
At half price and as a second vehicle with a reasonably nearby filling station, sure.

I wouldn't even think of touching it at around list price though, at least in 2013.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Do hybrids and/or electric vehicles have a certain maximum speed that they can't exceed? I'm just curious since I was following a Chevy Volt yesterday that was doing literally 20 miles per hour from Shadyside all the way to Highland Park from Bellefonte Street to Ellsworth Avenue and then up Negley. Similarly, whenever I'm stuck behind a line of traffic in the left-hand lane on the Parkway it's usually a Prius driver causing the delay. If these alternative fuel vehicles can't keep up with the pace of traffic due to poor design, then why would anyone want to pay a premium to endanger themselves?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Both the Prius and the Volt have estimated top speeds in excess of 95 mph and 0-60 times of under 12 seconds (the Volt around 10 and the Prius plug in, by example, around 11 seconds).

I think it's a driver issue, not a vehicle capability one. Heck I've been passed by many a Prius on the highway while driving my "European sports sedan" lol

Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
As for the OPs question, I would def buy one at 13k brand new, but only if I were sufficiently confident that maintenance and repairs would be possible and not prohibitively expensive. An at home fueling solution would make it even more viable, assuming the price of that system was under $5k.

This is all presuming a second vehicle. I would personally not own one as my primary at this time due to refueling limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: