Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:49 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times

Advertisements

If you're truly considering buying property there, make it from 6th Street and up, the "Meatball Mountain" is still in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Crime-wise, something has gone terribly wrong in Pitcairn in the last decade:

//www.city-data.com/city/Pitcai...nsylvania.html

According to City Data's own statistics crime has exploded 3-fold in the past decade, from the mid to low 100s, to the 400-500s range. Is it a statistical fluke because of an overall small population or has a gang of car thieves taken up residence in the city?
My old roomate lived in North Versallies. He's said all of those old industrial towns are taking a hit crime wise because lots of section 8 has moved into those older homes there. Pitcairn isn't nearly as bad as the ones closer to Braddock and McKeesport though.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM

51 posts, read 74,174 times
I always liked the Pitcairn area and it is on my list of places to possibly relocate to.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
i lived in pitcairn when i first moved back to the area, 15 years or so ago. also knew many people who grew up there.
it was run down, and quite racist. there were no blacks living there and the local youths (meaning anywhere form 18 to 35) would literally chase them out.
now a drive down broadway will show that has changed a ton in the past decade. i only brought that up because i was there a couple times this past week and the difference was staggering.
personally i would go to a lot of other places before pitcairn, and has nothing to do with the change in diversity..its just run down, the business district is hardly thriving and almost useless, the entire town is basically built going up a steep hill (where the higher you go, the safer it is, and the fewer interesting things are there), and its most definitely not looking towards an upswing.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Nice Pictures. Thanks. It is a very white neighborhood and pretty well kept for how poor it is. They do a good job keeping it going.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nice Pictures. Thanks. It is a very white neighborhood and pretty well kept for how poor it is. They do a good job keeping it going.
That was my impression, too. It's still an intact and functional little village.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
That was my impression, too. It's still an intact and functional little village.

Thanks, everyone!
Yeah, I wish all the people living there could trade places with those living in Larimer and clean the place up. Still lower income, but at least some pride. Sure is hard to get over such a contrast. Pitcairn has an interesting history.

Robert Pitcairn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Those look like they were originally designed as duplexes (technically "semi-detached"), so I think it's best to keep them that way. I think they are kind of a happy compromise between a rowhome and a detached home.
I meant "I wish" in the sense that I would like to own such a lovely looking home, but there's no way I'd ever live in a duplex (or rowhouse or semi-detached house) with someone living on the other side. Not speaking from a general preservation sense.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, I wish all the people living there could trade places with those living in Larimer and clean the place up. Still lower income, but at least some pride. Sure is hard to get over such a contrast. Pitcairn has an interesting history.

Robert Pitcairn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, many of the low income towns surrounding Pittsburgh are in much better shape than the low income neighborhoods within the city. I guess that's why I like the small towns better than the city neighborhoods.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Section 8 and people on welfare are killing the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh