Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 AM

31 posts, read 49,177 times

Advertisements

I am coming in town for a weekend series next month. I have never been to Pittsburgh, and needless to say, I do not know my way around the city. I was wondering where the best part of town is to book a hotel and if anyone has any pointers on things to see and do - other than eat at Primanti Brothers, which we will. Preferably somewhere within in walking distance to the stadium would be nice, but if there are better options further, I have no problem taking a cab or public transportation.
I am looking forward to my visit.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaeff23 View Post
I am coming in town for a weekend series next month. I have never been to Pittsburgh, and needless to say, I do not know my way around the city. I was wondering where the best part of town is to book a hotel and if anyone has any pointers on things to see and do - other than eat at Primanti Brothers, which we will. Preferably somewhere within in walking distance to the stadium would be nice, but if there are better options further, I have no problem taking a cab or public transportation.
I am looking forward to my visit.
Thanks.
Tons of hotels around the PNC. Screw Primanti's.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
North shore hotels are the Hyatt, a Residence Inn and a SpringHill Suites. Often they are full on game days, so reserve early if that's where you want to be.

Right in town are several other options from a Hampton Inn to the Fairmont.
All are within walking distance, with some being closer than others.

Which weekend are you coming in?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM

225 posts, read 323,685 times
My favorite hotel is the Renaissance, which is downtown across the river from the stadium. There is a Courtyard and Fairfield Inn next to the stadium as well. Either way you will be downtown and can explore from there.

The typical tourist stuff is to take the incline and visit point state park - and you should do that. Beyond that it probably depends upon what kinds of things you like to do.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM

632 posts, read 1,070,604 times
Hampton Inn in the Strip District.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Hampton Inn in the Strip District.
I would second this recommendation. It's probably the most budget-friendly hotel in the immediate Downtown area, and you will be an easy walk to PNC Park as well as being able to experience the Strip District (including Primanti's) on a Saturday morning or Sunday morning. The Strip District is our open-air market neigborhood that comes alive with a lot of food vendors, crafts vendors, niche markets, etc. on weekend mornings. You'd be an easy walk to the "T" (light rail) station at Steel Plaza (U.S. Steel Tower, the tallest building in the city) and could take that to Station Square, where you could then ride the incline up to the top of Mt. Washington. While on Mt. Washington I'd recommend Shiloh Grill for lunch (or dinner, if it's an afternoon game), capped off by ice cream at a charming little parlor across the street. You can take your ice cream cones and survey the impressive city skyline view from atop Grandview Avenue. Station Square is home to mostly chain restaurants, including our Hard Rock Cafe, but it's still worth a look to enjoy the dancing fountains, a Gateway Clipper dinner cruise, a Just Ducky tour, or a Segway tour.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
There is a Courtyard and Fairfield Inn next to the stadium as well.
No Courtyard, no Fairfield Inn, just the three I mentioned.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 08-12-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Right in town are several other options from a Hampton Inn to the Fairmont.
All are within walking distance, with some being closer than others.

Which weekend are you coming in?
Sept. 20 -22

Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 PM

Multiple recommendations for Hampton Inn. I googled The Strip to find it's location and I can't find any Hampton Inns. The closest I could find was Hampton Inn Pittsburgh McKnight Rd 4575 McKnight Road, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15237, USA or Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University Center 3315 Hamlet St., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15213, USA
Maybe The Strip is a larger area than what google tells me?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaeff23 View Post
Multiple recommendations for Hampton Inn. I googled The Strip to find it's location and I can't find any Hampton Inns. The closest I could find was Hampton Inn Pittsburgh McKnight Rd 4575 McKnight Road, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15237, USA or Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University Center 3315 Hamlet St., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15213, USA
Maybe The Strip is a larger area than what google tells me?
Hotels in Pittsburgh, PA - Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh-Downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh