Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Not to break up the circlejerk, but rumor on the streets is that a certain airport-area company just finished up on cutting 400 jobs (can't go into much more detail than that). No matter how you want to spin it, it has not been a good week for news in the city's job market.

My point exactly. Just posting facts and nothing more.

Instead of posting facts about the "city" as this is a city board they resort to name calling and personal attacks. People on here lose sight of why we are on this board. I am sure some of them on here may own a company or supervise other workers. If this is their judgement on a city board it shows a lot about how they handle people, facts and opinions that may differ from theirs. My way or the highway / status quo, culture of silence type of thinking. Maybe that is why nobody wants to work for them. I wouldn't want to work for them if I was unemployed.

With that said, the news has not been flattering for the better part of a year regarding Pittsburgh's economic data. We aren't losing jobs as fast in the past, but we are not gaining much either. Pittsburgh was named most livable city in 2007, but that was 2007. Pittsburgh was one of the best economies because of its stability in 2011, but that was 2011.

I am tired of seeing this city downsize and disappear. Can't we acknowledge this is a problem and there is no time to relax or keep the status quo attitude. Bold change and ideas for growth are going to be essential to the survival of this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
As soon a local tech company makes it big they will be bought out by someone bigger. It has happened time and time again. Not that this is necessarily bad, but I don't see a brand new tech juggernaut emerging from a Pittsburgh startup any time soon.
That's nothing unique to Pittsburgh. New tech juggernauts are rare; it's pretty common for successful startups anywhere in the country to be bought up by the well-established companies.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post

I am tired of seeing this city downsize and disappear. Can't we acknowledge this is a problem and there is no time to relax or keep the status quo attitude. Bold change and ideas for growth are going to be essential to the survival of this region.
OMG, the skies are falling in today on this thread. It happened on another thread yesterday. Why does this always happen in zman63's thread?

I was so looking forward to going to gym and movies tonight too ...

Last edited by gortonator; 08-14-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
My point exactly. Just posting facts and nothing more.

Instead of posting facts about the "city" as this is a city board they resort to name calling and personal attacks. People on here lose sight of why we are on this board. I am sure some of them on here may own a company or supervise other workers. If this is their judgement on a city board it shows a lot about how they handle people, facts and opinions that may differ from theirs. My way or the highway / status quo, culture of silence type of thinking. Maybe that is why nobody wants to work for them. I wouldn't want to work for them if I was unemployed.

With that said, the news has not been flattering for the better part of a year regarding Pittsburgh's economic data. We aren't losing jobs as fast in the past, but we are not gaining much either. Pittsburgh was named most livable city in 2007, but that was 2007. Pittsburgh was one of the best economies because of its stability in 2011, but that was 2011.

Everyone has acknowledged that there are problems with Pittsburgh...mostly because it's like every other American city. From where we were, however, we've come a LONG way and the city is still working on really having a solid "new" footprint. The footprint long ago was steel and the city has basically had to start from scratch and find a new niche after the bust. Check out Buffalo if you want to see a city that's really a shame at the moment.

The whole point is, the only time you open a new thread is when you find more negative news. Whether you admit it or not, it appears that you backhandedly enjoy finding negative news. That's why you're catching some heat. If you were truly unbiased and a realist, you wouldn't have a pattern of nothing but solely negative tidbits.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:55 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Everyone has acknowledged that there are problems with Pittsburgh...mostly because it's like every other American city. From where we were, however, we've come a LONG way and the city is still working on really having a solid "new" footprint. The footprint long ago was steel and the city has basically had to start from scratch and find a new niche after the bust. Check out Buffalo if you want to see a city that's really a shame at the moment.

The whole point is, the only time you open a new thread is when you find more negative news. Whether you admit it or not, it appears that you backhandedly enjoy finding negative news. That's why you're catching some heat. If you were truly unbiased and a realist, you wouldn't have a pattern of nothing but solely negative tidbits.

More economic news.....

Pittsburgh company gets NFL approval to make clear plastic bags for stadiums | TribLIVE

Palmer airport's status soars | TribLIVE

Field & Stream store gears up for grand opening in Cranberry - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Fifth Third Bank is scouting for a new office downtown - Pittsburgh Business Times

Chevron pays $12M for closed Kmart store - Pittsburgh Business Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh