Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Not that many. The "kids" who end up working there tend to be the types who like to live in the city.
Yeah, they are mostly really young and have no kids yet. Then they will head out. Wonder if Aspinwall will become even more expensive due to the proximity if these young folks get married and have kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:57 PM

510 posts, read 905,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, they are mostly really young and have no kids yet. Then they will head out. Wonder if Aspinwall will become even more expensive due to the proximity if these young folks get married and have kids?
Yes, because who raises kids in the city? /sarcasm font/

Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Then they will head out.
Not this generation. Heading out is only for Pittsburgh lifers; a lot of these people did not grow up here and don't have family around to say "OMG you can't live in the CITY!"

Old 08-15-2013, 04:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Not this generation. Heading out is only for Pittsburgh lifers; a lot of these people did not grow up here and don't have family around to say "OMG you can't live in the CITY!"

I think people are interested in getting the best education for their children that they can afford, regardless of whether or not they are from Pittsburgh or not.

It isn't a carefully held secret that the PPS are largely crap.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think people are interested in getting the best education for their children that they can afford, regardless of whether or not they are from Pittsburgh or not.

It isn't a carefully held secret that the PPS are largely crap.
Yes, so you're saying at least they won't do something stupid like move to SHALER like my Pittsburgh lifer colleagues did! LOL

Anyway, you are skipping over a couple things though. One, there's a good chance they can afford to do private schools if they want. Two, there are some people who are activist types and though they could move they would rather contribute to the reform from within by sending their kids to the city schools. They might do it by choosing the right places to live in Squirrel Hill and/or magnets, but still. There's a decent chance that there's a higher proportion of this than usual among the people who work at Google.

To summarize, the remarks like this assume that the all-powerful draw of the school district will be enough to pull these people out of their urban living. But for a decent number of them, I suspect that will not in fact be a big enough draw.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Yes, so you're saying at they won't do something stupid like move to SHALER like my Pittsburgh lifer colleagues did! LOL Geez.

I could take offense at that, to we Lawrenceville residents, Shaler has long been recognized as the promised land.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I could take offense at that, to we Lawrenceville residents, Shaler has long been recognized as the promised land.
LOL! That's what it is! They both grew up in Lawrenceville. But the one is sending her kids to Catholic school, including Catholic HS now for the eldest, while constantly grumbling about the tuition and her school taxes. And the other, I don't know, the kid might be in kindergarten now and I don't know what she decided, doesn't work with us anymore. It wasn't like this variation in school districts wasn't already obvious 10-12 years ago when the first one, the one of the tuition and taxes, made this move.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
My neighbors tell me in the mythic Shaler the streets are paved in gold!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
I asked because my degree is in information sciences network security emphasis. I would love to intern but who knows my luck lol.
I'd like to add that therr are some folks here who I would love to meet and have a drink or so. I'm a pretty laid back guy and my thanks goes out to those who helped me over these past few months and even offered me a job. That's something I lacked in Virginia.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I'd like to add that therr are some folks here who I would love to meet and have a drink or so.
You can buy me a drink. Certainly! If you want to cop a feel, though, you'll need to buy me dinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh