Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,913,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
what if the mom is an eminent professor at Pitt and the father works part-time in a bar downtown just for fun?
He takes the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,614,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i honestly dont know how we went from talking about google to cranberry lol
Ask zip.
Because I just say what I feel like.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
He takes the boat.

With or without the dog?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,614,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why do they exist? Simple. It is white flight. There is no other way to label it really. People just don't want guns and an "I don't care", or an "they owe me" attitude when bringing up kids.
So you're saying everyone in the suburbs is afraid of black people? I dont' think so. Maybe that's true for some portion of the over 50 natives - and it probably gets truer the older the natives are - but it certainly isn't the driving factor for most people I know. I think you're just assuming most people feel the same way you do... after all I'm sure all your friends agree with you.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,276,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Cranberry is a very polarizing word around here. Essentially it is a boom-burb of 30,000+ that sprang up nearly overnight to house people who wanted to take advantage of all that Allegheny County offers in terms of employment opportunities, recreation, culture, diversity, higher education, festivals, infrastructure, etc. without having to pay for any of it in terms of taxation. I could say the same for Peters Twp. and Murrysville, which border the county line at Washington County and Westmoreland County, respectively.

Actually, Cranberry has been growing rapidly since the 1970's, its hardly an overnight sensation.

Further, the township didn't secede from Allegheny County, its been part of Butler for more than 100 years.

They have a lot of their own employment opportunities out there, it isn't like they are just a bedroom community, Westinghouse is a major corporation that is located in Cranberry.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,865,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
what if the mom is an eminent professor at Pitt and the father works part-time in a bar downtown just for fun?
What if the mom is the new CEO of Heinz, the husband is a stay at home dad, and she relocates 500 Heinz employees from the city to the new Cranberry Ketchup Castle?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,917,836 times
i must say, i like where i'm living now. aside from parking being TIGHT for my vehicle (if someone parks in the parallel spot behind me and i have car next to me, i cannot get out without hitting them. the distance between my spot and the parallel is more than half the length of my car lol) i find stanton heights where i'm at nice to be...so far

Old 11-05-2013, 01:14 PM

29 posts, read 48,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
Exactly--some of us have no desire to live in (or take care of) a 3,000 square foot house with an acre of land. My husband and I (any most of our friends) would pay a premium to be able to walk to amenities and to not spend 45 minutes commuting to work every day. I love being able to walk to the grocery store, restaurants, films, coffee shops, etc. We can walk our kids to and from school within 15 minutes (takes this long only because they are dawdlers). My husband and I also love being at our desks within 10 minutes of leaving the house. And a great thing about Pittsburgh is you don't have to pay much of a premium for these things which for us greatly improves quality of life.
As someone who's looking for housing, I disagree. There is a big premium for getting these great benefits of living in the city.

I would love to have a nice family-sized (1,700 to 2,000 square foot) house without a large yard. From my perspective, a "nice" house has a garage, central air, nice kitchen, master bath, etc. In the suburbs, many such houses exist in the $200,000 to $300,000 range. In the city, they're in the $350,000 to $450,000 range.

For a couple without children, it would be easier to live in the city because a "nice" house could be much smaller, which would offset the large premium it costs to live in the city.

If I could afford to pay the 50% premium, then I would love to be in the city. In the end, I'll probably end up in the suburbs because that's what I can afford.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Can Allegheny County just annex Cranberry Township? My hatred for that community would nearly evaporate.
Somehow, I doubt it!

ETA: No one ever did answer the OP's question about what they're doing at Google. I know it's an engineering office, but there are a lot of different engineering applications.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-05-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh