Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,380 times

Advertisements

The residential conversions have taken most of the lower class c type buildings off of the market. The Class B and A buildings have reaped the benefits.

Pittsburgh?s residential conversions are placing premium on remaining office space - Pittsburgh Business Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Do you have anything useful to add? It is well established that Class A space is in high demand within the Golden Triangle, and vacancy rates are rather low. I am not sure how you can take from that because there is less Class C space, that Class A and B benefit. Quite the opposite, one would think that if Class A and B office space were in high demand, that the demand for Class C space has seen the true benefit. Indeed, I think you can draw that conculsion, as the Class C (and some class B) spaces are seeing demand increase, albeit in the form of residential conversions.

At a minimum, most will agree that downtown has a shortage of the following:

1. Class A Space
2. Residential Space
3. Hotel Space

The degree of shortage may be subject to varying opinions.

I will add to that I think a more effecient bus depot/transportation hub, riverfront development and a grocery store are the other major lacking elements that keep downtown from being even more vibrant than it is now.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
.....(cricket noises) .....

Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
.....(cricket noises) .....
...ribbet ribbet...

Old 08-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Do you have anything useful to add? It is well established that Class A space is in high demand within the Golden Triangle, and vacancy rates are rather low. I am not sure how you can take from that because there is less Class C space, that Class A and B benefit. Quite the opposite, one would think that if Class A and B office space were in high demand, that the demand for Class C space has seen the true benefit. Indeed, I think you can draw that conculsion, as the Class C (and some class B) spaces are seeing demand increase, albeit in the form of residential conversions.

At a minimum, most will agree that downtown has a shortage of the following:

1. Class A Space
2. Residential Space
3. Hotel Space

The degree of shortage may be subject to varying opinions.

I will add to that I think a more effecient bus depot/transportation hub, riverfront development and a grocery store are the other major lacking elements that keep downtown from being even more vibrant than it is now.

I thought it was a pretty positive article. I am not sure why you became so sensitive. 87 percent of the total office space occupied in downtown is a small miracle.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:54 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I thought it was a pretty positive article. I am not sure why you became so sensitive. 87 percent of the total office space occupied in downtown is a small miracle.
Ok, I'll take the bait.

1. You offered zero contrsructive commentary on the article. This is a theme with other posts. By the way, the article is about 6 months old.

2. I disagreed with the notion that the direction of cause and effect was captured correctly in the article. I think that lower quality space has benefited from the demand of higher quality space. The article (and your brief comment in the OP) deem the opposite.

3. There have been various discussions on this topic. One of them, citing the same source website, same writer, but different article, can be found here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ce-market.html

The point is, this is a "discussion board", I think. This would mean discussions should take place, or dialogue. That generally means discussing a topic, not just posting news articles at random. You could at least say, "hey, here's a news article, what do you think?"

Posting a link and nothing more is generally a pretty lazy way to go about discussing.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:03 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
^^^^ that's why it's best to let crickets reply in these threads ...

ribbet, ribbet ...

Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Ok, I'll take the bait.

1. You offered zero contrsructive commentary on the article. This is a theme with other posts. By the way, the article is about 6 months old.

2. I disagreed with the notion that the direction of cause and effect was captured correctly in the article. I think that lower quality space has benefited from the demand of higher quality space. The article (and your brief comment in the OP) deem the opposite.

3. There have been various discussions on this topic. One of them, citing the same source website, same writer, but different article, can be found here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ce-market.html

The point is, this is a "discussion board", I think. This would mean discussions should take place, or dialogue. That generally means discussing a topic, not just posting news articles at random. You could at least say, "hey, here's a news article, what do you think?"

Posting a link and nothing more is generally a pretty lazy way to go about discussing.

The biggest reason I see for the tightening of the class A office space is UPMC taking over the US Steel tower and kicking out other tenants. PPG, Oxford, Old National City bldg and the Grant building have been filling up due to this. Also, there has been a plethora of smaller office buildings in bankruptcy, being vacated and turned to residential. The office to residential has had a huge impact on the amount of all office space available. The old buildings on Penn Ave and Wood streets are becoming mostly residential.

I believe they only classify 16 downtown buildings as class A office space. Unfortunately the most recent data for Class B office space, which would be the Gulf Tower, Koppers Bldg., lawyers bldg and the alike, was from june of 2012 and had vacancy rates of 29 percent....

Plenty of B class space available in Downtown Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 08-24-2013, 12:24 PM

225 posts, read 323,807 times
The classification of buildings is subjective. There are really only 7-10 class "A" buildings in the city - and even some of those aren't really class "A" in the true sense. We speak of the US Steel Tower as class "A" ( and it does have quality space), but the building is 40 years old and would be class "B" in most first tier markets. The Lawyers building is a class "C" building.

Depending on how the numbers are skewed and classified you can make them say anything you want.

The reality is that the Pittsburgh office market is doing extremely well. Class "B" space does probably have a vacancy rate in the low-mid teens, but many of those buildings have some sort of functional obsolescence that may make them more difficult to lease. Other buildings, like the Clark Building, Reed Smith building and Lord & Taylor show up as vacant office space, but are not actually available.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
looks like pittsburgh ranked 17th which is pretty respectable for pa.
September 2013 standings for On Numbers Economic Index - The Business Journals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh