Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Scranton and Pittsburgh would be the biggest metros in the drilling region. Lewisburg is just south of it in a county that borders the drilling area. It's right next to an interstate that can easily access drilling areas. It's on the same longitude at Scranton. There are lots of small towns throughout the drilling area but I'll bet the rental prices are super high in those small towns due to the sudden influx of gas workers. State College, PA, is another consideration.
True about the rental prices especially in places like Washington, PA and Wheeling. The links I provided below indicate that the most drilling activity is taking place in Southwestern PA and Eastern Ohio.

Scranton is 30 miles southeast of the edge of the current drilling activity with new drilling not occurring in this area. The OP said she is looking for a small town not a big metro with a good school district. Places like Bridgeville and Canonsburg seem ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Probably not, though it depends on what "predominantly" means. He may have other skills as well. In two years, who knows? I just read yesterday (can't provide a source, sorry) that some of the oil drilling in PA is dropping off due to some natural gas discoveries in Ohio. Oil is a boom/bust industry. Ask the good people of Parachute, Colorado.
From the Post Gazette:

Quote:
Falling natural gas prices have stalled Pennsylvania's shale boom, sending
drilling rigs across the border into Ohio. Most of the Keystone State's shale is
heavy in "dry" gas, pure methane that's ready for the pipeline as soon as it is
extracted.

But after two years of heavy drilling in
northeastern Pennsylvania, a glut in supply has sent gas companies scrambling to
southwest Pennsylania and Ohio in search of "wet" gas, which comes with a mix of
other petroleum byproducts like ethane and butane.
Also see:

Pipeline interactive map: Falling Prices, Moving Rigs
Natural Gas Prices | StateImpact Pennsylvania
Youngstown News, Industry groups: Ohio's Marcellus, Utica shale deposit are prolific wet gas fields - Newswatch
The Shift from Dry to Wet Gas Continues | Marcellus Drilling News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:54 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

"Anything near I-76 and I-79 interchange mentioned above is Washington County."
Sorry, thought that it was I-76 all the way. Could have sworn I have seen I-76 signs on there. Whatever. Thanks for the correction.

No, I-76 doesn't run in Washington County. Anything near I-70 and I-79 interchange is in Washington County.

Your entire post is overly pessimistic about Western PA. To say that great schools doesn't go with small towns and that, "smaller towns just don't have the resources, and can't attract & hold the best teachers," is an exaggeration. Show me any kind of data to back this up.

Small towns that fit this description include Canonsburg, Bridgeville, Zelienople, Slippery Rock and Grove City. Regarding festivals and parades, how about this?
Canonsburg & Bridgeville are benefitting from proximity to Pittsburgh, and also the Southpointe development. Part of what has driven expansion in the counties around Allegheny is simply the lower taxes. Canonsburg is a sleepy town. Zelie, Slippery Rock, Grove City, I would not locate to. In case you didn't notice, only the more major urban areas are doing okay since the 2008-2009 recession. The smaller towns are all in decline, and are getting into financial straits unless they have shale boosting them. Many manufacturing facilities closed or were sold 2007-now, jobs permanently lost, and you can't keep towns and schools (or local businesses) running when all you have there are retirees and welfare people and the unemployed. I don't think I am giving anything but a realistic description: Small Town Rural PA is toast, unless your town has a shale boom going.

OP, look at census quick facts before you move. USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Since you want to be employed, definitely consider whether or not there are opportunities for you. And be aware that in a lot of small PA towns, most of the women are housewives and moms with just a high school education, and they are not very ambitious. This has been a continual problem for me, socially, because I was done with kids and homemaker carp before I moved back here. What I found it the men run with the men and go out and have fun, and the women are largely ignored and stuck at home with kids and household chores. I have gotten real tired of boring small towns people and all the chauvinism here. Just warning you, western PA is not modern-thinking at all.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 08-26-2013 at 04:03 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Canonsburg & Bridgeville are benefitting from proximity to Pittsburgh, and also the Southpointe development. Part of what has driven expansion in the counties around Allegheny is simply the lower taxes. Canonsburg is a sleepy town. Zelie, Slippery Rock, Grove City, I would not locate to. In case you didn't notice, only the more major urban areas are doing okay since the 2008-2009 recession. The smaller towns are all in decline, and are getting into financial straits unless they have shale boosting them. Many manufacturing facilities closed or were sold 2007-now, jobs permanently lost, and you can't keep towns and schools (or local businesses) running when all you have there are retirees and welfare people and the unemployed. I don't think I am giving anything but a realistic description: Small Town Rural PA is toast, unless your town has a shale boom going.

OP, look at census quick facts before you move. USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Since you want to be employed, definitely consider whether or not there are opportunities for you. And be aware that in a lot of small PA towns, most of the women are housewives and moms with just a high school education, and they are not very ambitious. This has been a continual problem for me, socially, because I was done with kids and homemaker carp before I moved back here. What I found it the men run with the men and go out and have fun, and the women are largely ignored and stuck at home with kids and household chores. I have gotten real tired of boring small towns people and all the chauvinism here. Just warning you, western PA is not modern-thinking at all.

Those three towns are doing great, ignore her posts.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 PM

90 posts, read 131,687 times
I'm an Akronite myself and find that Pittsburgh falls perfectly into the "close, but not too close" category.

It's about a two hour drive from the Pittsburgh area and 2h 20m from the Washington, PA area.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,999 times
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Thank you all for the input. You have all given me a better starting point that I had hoped for!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
If you want to move to Pittsburgh, stay to the west of the city proper....within close proximity to the airport. Avoid the eastern suburbs and the Allegheny and Mon river valleys for a plethora of reasons, one being traffic. The second is that those areas are where the highest concentration of Yinzers live.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Those three towns are doing great, ignore her posts.
I second that. I go there all the time even though I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs. They are perfectly safe, nice, sleepy little towns. Some people are just complainers

Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
And be aware that in a lot of small PA towns, most of the women are housewives and moms with just a high school education, and they are not very ambitious. This has been a continual problem for me, socially, because I was done with kids and homemaker carp before I moved back here. What I found it the men run with the men and go out and have fun, and the women are largely ignored and stuck at home with kids and household chores.
What?
Where do you live?

That has not been my experience at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh