Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
District Attorney Robert W. Duggan did kill himself, and he did like to crack down on Liberty Avenue vice.

But he wasn't busted with a prostitute, he was under indictment for corruption and being on the payroll of numbers kingpin Tony Grosso. Mr. Duggan was also reported to be gay, in a previous age where this kind of thing wasn't looked upon as highly as it is today.
Wow, that is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Not to derail the discussion, but does anyone know what happened to Bobbie Fabic? He was Hampton's own Tony Soprano. Truly a good fella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 06:24 PM

510 posts, read 905,543 times
Quote:
District Attorney Robert W. Duggan did kill himself, and he did like to crack down on Liberty Avenue vice.

But he wasn't busted with a prostitute, he was under indictment for corruption and being on the payroll of numbers kingpin Tony Grosso. Mr. Duggan was also reported to be gay, in a previous age where this kind of thing wasn't looked upon as highly as it is today.
Wow, how many Pennsylvania DAs have come to bad ends? It seems like an occupational hazard.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
ITT: cops

Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:

I remember him getting arrested in a raid on prostitution right before he killed himself.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I had to look up Duggan. He died in 1974. This is all way before my time. You guys are sharing very interesting Pittsburgh history.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Try that Intown Suites place on McKnight Road. Extended-stay motels that abut "questionable" neighborhoods (Pittsburgh's North Side) are usually interesting places to go.
Pittsburgh's terrifying Summer Hill neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I had to look up Duggan. He died in 1974. This is all way before my time. You guys are sharing very interesting Pittsburgh history.
Hmmmmm. Maybe I'm thinking of some other public figure and got the name mixed up.

The guy I'm thinking of died in the 1960's.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Hmmmmm. Maybe I'm thinking of some other public figure and got the name mixed up.

The guy I'm thinking of died in the 1960's.
This says Duggan was in office from 64 until he died in 74. There's lots of interesting background on him and other DAs in this article. It says he killed himself but the detailed article raises the question that he might have been murdered. This article is an interesting read. The name and history of the guy you're thinking of will be in it if Duggan isn't the guy.

yardbird.com: Another drug prosecutor vanishes on Pennsylvania car ride

The Duggan story starts about halfway down the page with a subheading.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 PM

From Hopes' link:

Quote:
Boyle is said to have lost at the polls to Duggan because, during the election campaign, the Republicans under governor William Scranton sent state police on a much-publicized raid of previously untouched Pittsburgh whorehouses, arresting 70 people in vice raids, underscoring just how "easy going" DA Eddie Boyle had been.

[LEFT]Once in office, by most accounts, Duggan picked up where Easy Going Eddie left off. The main difference in both men's public service seems to be that Boyle's career was allowed to end at the polls, while Duggan's was terminated at the hands of a relentless prosecutor -- Richard Thornburgh.
The Scranton raid is the one I remember. But somehow I associated it with Dugan's suicide. [/LEFT]

Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It sure was obvious, wasn't it? There was still subtle action around the Edison Hotel in the 90s. I just looked it up and it seems that it closed. I wonder when that was. The last review I saw online is 2009.
Not closed.
Edison is called "Blush" now.
I am pretty sure rooms are still being rented out in the hotel, and there still seems to be "activity" on weekend nights when some of the girls get off work in the club, they go in the hotel side entrance and up the elevator.

And don't forget that hotel right near the turnpike exit at Monroeville. Can't think of the name, but it is a little strip type motel right past the bridge culvert. They use to have a lot of action there.

The Holiday Inn on Mosside Blvd was another large scale operation, although the PD started staking the parking lot due to many guest complaints and to further thwart activities. Not sure if anything going on there now or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh