Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 7,043 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im 28yrs old and Im planning on moving to Pittsburgh around the beginning of January for school and Im having trouble choosing what areas would be the most efficient to live in. Im attending school right in downtown Pittsburgh, and I need to find an area that is nice, I dont mean it has to be ritzy-just not run down and overloaded with crime and unstable occupants. I would like to live in an area that is not over 15-20 minutes away from school, but is also around restaurants, and possible other places that I could find employment that would not be too far away. I also dont really want to spend over $500 a month, if at all possible. I would appreciate any help, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 AM

27 posts, read 143,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklynn View Post
Hello, Im 28yrs old and Im planning on moving to Pittsburgh around the beginning of January for school and Im having trouble choosing what areas would be the most efficient to live in. Im attending school right in downtown Pittsburgh, and I need to find an area that is nice, I dont mean it has to be ritzy-just not run down and overloaded with crime and unstable occupants. I would like to live in an area that is not over 15-20 minutes away from school, but is also around restaurants, and possible other places that I could find employment that would not be too far away. I also dont really want to spend over $500 a month, if at all possible. I would appreciate any help, thank you!
Well it depends how nice you want to be living for 500 a month. Near the university areas downtown 500 a month won't get you too far in a nice area with lots of restaurants and stuff, obviously that's kinda where everyone is looking to move, so at least for being very close to school it's gonna be tough to find a nice place given your budget. Oakland is where most of the students live, and that would affordable for 500 a month, but it may not be the most glamarous place to live. Other areas I would look into that are safe and affordable would be friendship, stanton heights, bloomfield, parts of lawrenceville, and all oakland. Just avoid the Hill District, Garfield, East Liberty, Homewood or Wilikinsburg at pretty much all costs, and be careful because alot of those places are directly neighboring some of the places I suggested.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:41 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
If you're going to be going to school downtown, try looking for an apartment on the South Side. It's not too far away, and a lot of Duquesne U. students live down there. I think you can find small apartments in your price range, and there a many bus routes that provide service to downtown and Oakland. Lots of shops and restaurants where you could find a part-time job, also. The area is full of young people.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Also, if you're going to school Downtown you can look up on Mt. Washington. I lived up there when I was in grad school at Duquesne. If you don't drive, it's close enough that you can take one of the inclines down and walk over the bridge, or hop on one of the buses. It's got a decent little business district, and I never paid more than $500 for rent up there.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,043 times
Default Thank You Everyone, I have a question for FLEETIEBELL

Hey, Fleetiebell, I was wondering if you could maybe suggest where I could get some information on apartments in Mount Washington. Im asking because actually that is where my one friend who just moved there suggested. Did you go through a realtor or private landlords? It would be so helpful if I knew where to go (ask) for info. Thank You so Much! & thanks so much to everyone else, it was all very helpful.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Nikylnn, I rented from this company (Welcome to Berger Real Estate) for a few years--they don't have much listed now, but they do have many properties on Mt. Washington. Craigslist would also be a really good source. I don't know from how far away you're coming, but if you're in the area, you can also drive through the neighborhood to check out "For Rent" signs.

And just for reference, you probably want to stick with apartments in the area between the inclines (Shiloh St. to roughly Oneida St.) and north of Virginia Ave. Not that the other parts of the neighborhood are too terrible, but it's nicer and more convenient to live on the front of the hill.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Dormont might be worth looking into as well. It's got a nice business district with restaurants and shops. It's right on the T line, so you can be downtown quickly, and for other job opportunies, the T in the other direction will get you to Mt. Lebanon and South Hills Village mall.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 PM

101 posts, read 311,719 times
They say Lawrenceville is up and comming and its still pretty cheap. As for crime, I think avoiding the areas like Wilkinsburg and the such your fine. Asking for a "good" area on here is not the best idea, you have to get your own feel. There are folks on here that apparently must live in a cloud above the city to feel safe and me, growing up in southern WV do not feel the least but threatened in Pgh. If you've never been to So WV, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING happens there!! When I stayed in the hotel in Oakland near the school, it was rather loud all night, so if you like sleep I'd look outside Oakland or at least away from the center of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh