Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,217 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving to white oak and I work downtown. When I look on the map, it doesn't seem very easy to get into the city. There doesn't seem to be any major highways near White Oak. If I move there, I would be living near Lincoln Way, not far from Oak Park Mall. There is a bus that goes to that shopping center, but it stops running early, so driving is my only option. So far, taking 48 to rt. 30, then taking Rt. 30 through Forest Hills and onto the Parkway seems to be the quickest option. I'd estimate 1 hour to an hour and 15 minutes, depending on traffic. Another option would be to drive through McKeesport, over the Duquesne Bridge, then take 837 the whole way there. But, there are a lot of lights driving through McKeesport and on 837, lots of cops patrol that route (I have a lead foot) and it becomes one lane at parts, so I wouldn't be able to pass anyone slow. What is my best option? This seems like a terribly inconvenient place to live if you're working downtown. Also, it seems to be a good distance to any malls or shopping. Even driving to dumpy Century III could take a half hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
A lot to be said about avoiding the tunnel. I'd go to with 837 to the High Level Bridge and either up to the Parkway or through Hazelwood and down 2nd Avenue, particularly if that's where you are looking to park in town.

You're right, no easy commute from the White Oak area.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
There are really only two choices. Route 48 to Route 30 to the Parkway East, or Duquesne Bridge to Route 837 to the Homestead Grays Bridge to the Parkway. I used to live in Munhall and work at Station Square; Route 837 to the Southside is not a viable option.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
it sucks, you hate doing it, but get on 30 and get to the parkway is your best option if you are looking for the fastest way. no point in wasting time going different side routes , we've tried them all and they all suck.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
When I commuted from nearby Trafford to Parkway Center it was about 50 minutes if I recall correctly. I went through Braddock and Squirrel Hill to avoid the tunnel.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:46 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Drive to a Busway P&R and take the P1/P2 into town... either @ Swissvale or Wilkinsburg...P&Rs are free.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 AM

288 posts, read 511,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Drive to a Busway P&R and take the P1/P2 into town... either @ Swissvale or Wilkinsburg...P&Rs are free.
Agreed. Or drive to the North Versailles Sheetz and take the Westmoreland Transit 1F in to town. It will use the busway to avoid the tunnel. From that sheetz, it's about a 40 minute ride.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Cutting through the waterfront rear entrance will save you some time on your way into town. It eliminates the long lights in Homestead and you can jump on the Grays Bridge right beside Dave & Busters. I have used this trick several times.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
I live near McKeesport and work Downtown. What are your work hours? If you work standard hours, then transit is the best way to go. That is what I do. You have several transit options, some already mentioned:

- P76 Lincoln Highway Flyer Short drive on Route 48 North to East Allegheny Park and Ride. It is a gravel lot right before the entrance to EA High school. Outbound stop is by the Rita's. Expect about a 50 minute trip. The lot has room all morning.

- P7 McKeesport Flyer Drive to the Duquesne Park and Ride (or McKeesport Transportation Center next to Sunoco and States Tire). Turn left off of Route 837 onto Library Place (Third stop light after the McKeesport - Duquesne Bridge). Expect about a 40 minute trip. The lot has room all morning.

- P1 East Busway Drive to Swissvale Station Park and Ride. Cross the Rankin Bridge and turn left onto Woodstock Ave (second stop light after the bridge). Expect a 25 minute trip. This lot fills up pretty quickly in the morning.

- Westmoreland Transit 1F Greensburg/Pittsburgh Flyer Short drive to the Sheetz on Carpenter Lane in North Huntingdon. Usually does not stop until it reaches Downtown. About a 40 minute trip. The lot is pretty much full by the last inbound trip. These buses are more comfortable than Port Authority as they are coach buses.

Fares:
- P76 & P7 operate in the Zone 2 fare zone, so each trip is $3.75 ($37.50 a week)
- P1 is Zone 1, so each trip is $2.50 ($25 a week)
- 1F at the Sheetz on Carpenter Lane is Zone 2 for Westmoreland Transit, so that is $3.50 for each trip ($35 a week).

You can save fare money by taking the P1, but it is a further drive. The P1 also runs the most frequent at every four minutes during peak periods, but you would have to get to the park and ride lot before 7AM to get a spot. The 1F at Carpenter Lane Sheetz isn't that far of a drive and cheaper than the P7 and P76. The buses are more comfortable and the span of service is pretty close to the P7 and P76. There are three morning Express trips that start at Sheetz and not back In Greensburg. Also there are three afternoon Express trips that start at Penn Station on the East Busway so the buses don't loop Downtown. It makes for a fast trip. The P7 and P76 are close by, but most expensive fare wise and sometimes trips can be late especially in the afternoon. Plus some trips get pretty crowded and full.

I have tried all of those options and you preference may vary, but I prefer the P1 and 1F. It depends on what time I leave in the morning.

If you work non-standard hours or decide to drive in, take Route 837 and cut through the Waterfront and take the ramp to the Homestead Bridge. Pretty much follow the road after the bridge (Browns Hill Road) and then take the right turn for I-376 towards Downtown. You bypass the Tunnel traffic and it should take 35-40 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh