Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Not condoning what these girls did at all, but I don't believe for a second we have the whole story here. This is sounding way too 1-sided so far.
I agree. We should hear from Ginger's attackers. But how are we going to hear the doers' side when they're protected by law -- or is it merely custom? -- from having their names released in the press?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm so blown away that you say it was probably drug related. She lives there, and the street is a main access to 279N from the neighborhood. Why the hell assume this was drug related?!?!?!?!
She doesn't live there. She lives in Avalon.

Looks like the kids don't live there either.

Big problem getting out of the car. Why one would do that I don't know. Multiple witnesses is also weird. Like the attackers wanted to get caught.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

Big problem getting out of the car. Why one would do that I don't know. Multiple witnesses is also weird. Like the attackers wanted to get caught.
This happened near a highway on-ramp and just a few blocks from a major hospital. I don't think her place of residence is that important. It's not like she was jogging down Formosa Way or something.

Last edited by ferraris; 08-29-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

I'd get out of my car if someone struck it with a rock. As to doing it in front of witnesses, these are obviously people of lesser intelligence thus probably didn't think about it.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I hate to say this, but as someone that works in the city and cycles in the city, there is a very different feel right now with the low class inner-city blacks towards whites after the media frenzy over that stupid case in Orlando (Travon). I had a feeling this would escalate. It is the 50th anniversary of Martin King's speech. I don't think he would be very impress with the progress. If anything it is as bad as ever. I feel bad for the black folks in the city. If they think it has been bad for them in the past, if this kind of thing continues it will be about unbearable. You can't beat majorities. Best to not make waves, but those waves seem to be coming. Sad.

Hope this link works.

Woman brutally beaten by group of teens in North Side says... | www.wpxi.com
The Travon verdict was absolutely ridiculous. To say that blacks 'shouldn't make waves' implies they should accept that they can be followed, shot, and killed by white people suspicious of them. That verdict should never have happened, and says a lot about racial relations. It's not surprising that lower inner-city blacks are reacting to that, as it says how little our society values them. It also validifies common assumption among blacks that racism is very institutionalized in our system, which it is.

Regarding the story. If either black or white teens throw a bottle at my car, I'm not going to confront them. I'd take out my cellphone and consider taking a picture, or calling the police. I'd take a mental note of the exact spot. Basically I'd do something, but I'd consider plenty of other options, before stopping my car and charging them on a 1-on-4 fight. You're just not going to win that. Brutally beaten is about your best case-scenario on that, regardless if you charged black or white teens.

That being said, that never should have happened to that woman driving that car.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-29-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'd get out of my car if someone struck it with a rock. As to doing it in front of witnesses, these are obviously people of lesser intelligence thus probably didn't think about it.
Yeah, I agree. Anyone's first reaction would be to stop your car and confront people throwing a bottle at your car. I also agree about the intelligence part. They are now at Shuman Center. They obviously did something wrong with all those witnesses in a pretty busy area. I cut through there and there seems to always be people outside. Glad the witnesses were there to provide the details or these girls might have gotten away with this. Ugh!

If this happens to others, I really feel it would be best to call 911 right away. Why put yourself in this situation?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I agree. We should hear from Ginger's attackers. But how are we going to hear the doers' side when they're protected by law -- or is it merely custom? -- from having their names released in the press?
It's customary for the press to NOT print names when they are under 18.

Only comment about he Florida case, and this case since both would involve the same comment: Stay in the darn vehicle. Neither would have happened with this simple thing kept in mind.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Regarding the story. If either black or white teens throw a bottle at my car, I'm not going to confront them. I'd take out my cellphone and consider taking a picture, or calling the police. I'd take a mental note of the exact spot. Basically I'd do something, but I'd consider plenty of other options, before stopping my car and charging them on a 1-on-4 fight. You're just not going to win that.
"charging them"? Um, she was pulled from by her car by her hair and beaten. I hardly call that "charging". Where did that come from?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The Travon verdict was absolutely ridiculous. To say that blacks 'shouldn't make waves' implies they should accept that they can be followed, shot, and killed by white people suspicious of them. That verdict should never have happened, and says a lot about racial relations. It's not surprising that lower inner-city blacks are reacting to that, as it says how little our society values them. It also validifies common assumption among blacks that racism is very institutionalized in our system, which it is.
Even if you believe a completely this one sided version of events in that case that you laid out it on no way gives any justification for any violent acts by anyone thereafter.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Uptown is way off base on that crap. It was a women that lives there driving and minding her own business and BOOM the car gets hit by a bottle. The best reaction to that is call 9/11 and follow the girls at a distance via auto and report to the 9/11 operator the location of the attackers. People need to start using the police for this stuff. Just call 9/11 right away. Of course that is assuming she has a cell phone. Maybe she didn't have one? If she did, I'll bet the cops would have been there in less than 2 minutes. It is the North Side. TONS of cops are there all the time.
Good luck getting the Pittsburgh police to respond. I once had someone PUSH my car through an intersection and up onto a sidewalk right near there before it took off towards the 279N ramp. I got out of my car and tried to flag down a police car. They didn't even stop! They were RIGHT THERE and could have easily given chase, but they just kept slowly cruising by. This was back before cell phones. I haven't seen a better response from them in recent years either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh