Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlenoggin View Post
And we really hate suburbia -- the stereotypical materialistic, keep-up-with-the-Joneses, HOA rules, brand-conscious, chain-everything-independent-nothing, we-want-to-make-everything-just-like-"back-home", stepford wives, attitude-loaded, my-house-is-bigger-than-your-house, my-car-is-newer-than-your-car suburbs. Uck.

I'd rather live on a farm, honestly. We're likely the softest on the commute. I'll drive an hour if our home is worth it.
You won't find a lot of housing in this area with HOA rules. There are some newer built areas in the farther flung suburbs that may have a few, but, especially in the closer-in suburbs, they generally don't exist. Pittsburgh's closer-in suburbs are older (most built pre-WWII or in the 50s) so I don't know that they are really going to fit your stereotype of suburbia. And Pittsburghers (on average, at least) tend to not be very pretentious. (See threads complaining about the way Pittsburghers look and dress -- apparently we're all ugly and dress funny...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM

225 posts, read 323,846 times
Keep in mind that Pittsburgh's suburbs are nothing like Tampa's. Many of our suburbs are older and there hasn't been a ton a tract building going on here.

I would echo the Mt. Lebo thing (except its in the South Hills). Dormont is next to Mt. Lebo and might have less expensive housing options. Keep in mind the tunnels in Pittsburgh - they always create commuting headaches.

Maybe Bellevue/Ben Avon - the commute would be good and the house prices are lower. Bellevue is in the Northgate School district (which is pretty meh). Ben Avon is in the Avonworth school district, which is very good.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:56 PM

91 posts, read 131,996 times
I'm glad to hear that about neighborhoods. The 'burbs of Tampa have exploded since 2001 -- it's all new-ish, and with all of the northeast people our neighborhood is less Florida and more Long Island South. Chain restaurants, chain stores, chain haircuts, chain everything. Independent businesses don't get frequented. And worst, all the pizza is NY style!

We'll definitely look at the neighborhoods you guys have mentioned.

So I talk with the dept. manager tomorrow. All I have to do is ace the interviews....

Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
And worst, all the pizza is NY style!
If you don't like NY pizza, you should adore, cherish, and revere Pgh.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that about neighborhoods. The 'burbs of Tampa have exploded since 2001 -- it's all new-ish, and with all of the northeast people our neighborhood is less Florida and more Long Island South. Chain restaurants, chain stores, chain haircuts, chain everything. Independent businesses don't get frequented. And worst, all the pizza is NY style!
Yeah, my brother lives in a Tampa suburb that was probably a swamp 10 years ago. There's every chain restaurant you can think of, but what I find most problematic is there are no diner-type places to get breakfast. Say what you will about Pittsburgh, but you can find pancakes almost everywhere.

The opposite side of that coin, as others have mentioned, is that Pittsburgh isn't really a new city. It's a little shabby and rough around the edge, but in the right mindset that's part of its charm.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-29-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I hope you'll be able to come up and scout around before you move. The area has a little bit of everything, neighborhood-wise, so it's hard to give you a specific recommendation. One nice thing is that because of the topography, we're spared the flat, mind-numbing tract development and there's usually green space in the hills and valleys.

As other have said, your biggest challenge wll be to find a house to rent. I know apartment vacancy is something like 1 or 2%, but I'm not sure about houses - might be just as tight.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Pittsburgh is definitely has less of that "keeping-up-with-the Joneses" attitude than southern cities which I imagine would include Tampa. I'm raising my kids in Charlotte, but I would much do so in Pittsburgh for exactly this reason.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
I've read about "the T" -- what's that? I'd use light rail if it worked for me.

The LRT cars will only take you part way from ML to UPMC South Side.

You'd have to disembark at the Junction to transfer to an Arlington or 54C bus--or at Station Square for an Arlington or a Carrick.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Hi...yes, another "where should we look?" thread. I've been reading this forum, and other internet resources, but still have questions.

Us:
We're a large family -- four kids in elementary and middle school -- currently living in the suburbs of Tampa, FL. We're originally from small-town northern Michigan. We're college educated, white collar. I'm starting to interview with UPMC Southside and it sounds hopeful, so I wanted to research housing, schools, cost-of-living, etc.

Want:
  • Large house -- 4 bedroom if possible. Can drop to a large 3-bedroom if necessary.
  • Rental, not purchase for at least a year. Rent $1600 at the absolute max. We have cats and dog.
  • Safe neighborhood.
  • Good schools.
  • Small-town feel -- we want to get involved with the school and community; local festivals; hike/bike/outdoor stuff.
  • We. Hate. Suburbia.
  • Commute -- I currently drive an hour-plus to go 22 miles. That sucks. Less than 30min. would be heaven on earth. 45 minutes would be tolerable. I'm used to driving from outskirts to downtown. I've read about "the T" -- what's that? I'd use light rail if it worked for me.

Don't Care:
  • Nightlife. We're a family. We don't go out clubbing or anything. We don't need to be near a nightlife. Quiet is fine.
  • Malls and big box stores. We don't need to be around the corner from any of that. We don't go shop all that much.

So: big house to rent, good schools, low crime, small town feel, not too onerous commute to UPMC Southside. We've heard Mt. Lebanon is great? But...this is all pretty preliminary and I'm kinda testing the waters. Thanks in advance for your help!
As with most advice I give on here I'm going to put the schools at the top of your priority. Some posters here will tell you that the city schools are fine. Simply they are not. I would look at non city neighborhoods. And yes, many of our suburbs are urban in nature due to Pittsburgh's age, so don't worry, most aren't suburbia close to the city!

Pittsburgh has the "T". It is a light rail line that is a subway in the city, and above ground rail in the outer city neighborhoods and suburbs. I find it very useful do the fact that my parents live very near the end of it and I live in the city.

Commutes here are most likely very different than you are used to. Tampa's metropolitan area is very similar in size to Pittsburgh. But since Tampa is so much newer, the road network is completely different. Our major routes are literally 100's of years old. They all travel along rivers and steep creek valleys for the most part. Tampa's highway network is advanced and very new. Our largest highway is 6 lanes wide (279) and others vary from 4 to 6. 90% of our major roads are two way windy roads. So 6 miles may seem very short, but with our odd transportation network and very hilly terrain, that could take 30 to 45 minutes depending on where you are going from.

After all that said, you are probably hitting the nail on the head with your initial choice. Mount Lebanon is a very safe, large, condensed suburb of Pittsburgh. Other places I'd give a look at:
Sewickley
Aspinwall
Bellevue
Avalon

City Neighborhoods that may work:
Squirrel Hill
Shadyside
Point Breeze
Regent Square
Brookline

Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM

91 posts, read 131,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Tampa's highway network is advanced and very new.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, I get what you're saying, and thanks for the comprehensive reply.

But Tampa...advanced? Tampa's growth outstripped its infrastructure. It takes me over an hour go to 20 miles. On Saturday. Driving from one end of the metro area to the other can take two hours. Commuting is horrible here. And the scenery for me is warehouses and strip clubs. Hills would be awesome.

Geeo: I'm hoping I get to go scout, too. If I get the job, I'll definitely need to put my eyes on places before I commit to moving my family in for a year lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh