Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Hopefully a lot of engineers and other technical staff to develop and man the expanding gas sector and related manufacturing industries.

If the new people are from Asia or Latin America, or from the great American Southwest, it will provide a lot more diversity to the area as we don't have many folks of any of those backgrounds in the Pittsburgh area.

The idea that racial diversity is the only kind of diversity that is worthwhile isn't correct, and even if all of the new people coming in are from Oklahoma or Texas, they'll still bring in their own religious and cultural traditions as well as their own cuisine heavy on beef and TexMex flavorings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
IDK...
The ones I know who moved here are more interested in learning about us and our way of doing/eating/etc. than they are about bringing TexMex here.
And many families joined my Methodist church, even though they are Baptists, etc.

Granted, I only know about two dozen families, but still....

Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Won't they all move to places like Peters and Cranberry?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Won't they all move to places like Peters and Cranberry?

Not necessarily, if the city of Pittsburgh reaches out to the new migrants, we might be able to get some of them to move here as well.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Are the majority of natural gas people staying long term?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I know two families who already went home, and one who is moving next month... all back to Texas.
Their husbands were on the front lines of fracking, and their jobs here are done and/or they trained locals to do their job.

I really cannot see much in the way of long-term residents.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 AM

369 posts, read 462,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Their husbands were on the front lines of fracking, and their jobs here are done and/or they trained locals to do their job.

While good for local hotels and restaurants, one of the initial complaints regarding the shale revolution was that employees were being sent in to do the job without hiring locals in any significant numbers. So if locals are now being hired and trained to do the job in greater numbers, then that is great news.

On another note, fracking is so much more to Pittsburgh than just the front line well jobs. The Pittsburgh region has become the administrative/corporate center of the Marcellus/Utica shale activity. That means the region is seeing companies and jobs associated with geologists, legal services, corporate executives, safety industries, university programs, etc all set up local operations. One needs to look no further than the Southpointe area to see this. With the recently announced extension of the Southern Beltway to I-79, this will create an "energy corridor" from Southpointe to the Shell cracker, with PIT airport in the middle including a new regional headquarters for Chevron. These are the jobs worth getting excited about and is what will add new people and grow the local economy, more so than the front line drilling.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
I wonder if there is a report showing the net gain or loss of the population related to natural gas drilling in western PA or Pittsburgh specifically.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know two families who already went home, and one who is moving next month... all back to Texas.

I have seen this as well unfortunately. I have put in for jobs with chevron, cabot and some of the other companies. If you do not have 2 years of experience with drilling then you will never get an interview for an office or management job. How many locals actually have that experience? If they are hiring locals it is for the truck driving and back breaking manual labor. Out of town folks are getting the small number of cushy office jobs or they remain unfilled as drilling has slowed.

Once the wells are drilled and setup all of those workers move onto the next place. There is a skeleton crew that maintains and oversees the wells once they are setup.

I know a young couple that was relocated for his job. He worked for a gas company out in colorado and they pretty much gave him no choice in the matter. Move to pittsburgh or go on unemployment. He is in Pittsburgh but probably travels out of state 50 percent or more of the time.

In addition, natural gas prices are at their lowest in years. The market is flooded with shale gas and another mild winter will set back the drilling even further. Companies aren't going to drill because the high profit is not there.

Ohio and west virginia have the more valuable utica shale wet gas, which can be can be used to make other things. We have the dry marcellus shale gas, which can only be used for heating and power. If all vehicles would go to natural gas power then this area would boom.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I wonder if there is a report showing the net gain or loss of the population related to natural gas drilling in western PA or Pittsburgh specifically.
There is very clear evidence that at least the jobs directly related to drilling have dropped. And you may recognize a guy in the comments.

Nullspace: Long past inflection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh