Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 PM

17 posts, read 20,264 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just wondering about how bad the winters get in Pittsburgh. I've lived in Pittsburgh for two years now and have gone though two winters. The first was very mild with not much snowfall, this past winter was in my opinion very bad with horrible weather conditions mostly every day. I work in a hospital and just started nursing school and am freaking out about the prospect of driving in the snow as calling off for snow just isn't acceptable when you work in healthcare. My car has just died and needs to be replaced so naturally I'm thinking an all wheel drive. However, before I pay upcharge for an AWD system and not to mention the increase gas bill, I'm trying to determine if its actually necessary. I would be kicking myself if I buy an AWD system and most winters are like the first one making it a waste of money. However, at the same time I don't want to be white knuckle driving next winter if this one is anything like the last. So what do you think? Do you have a AWD and find it an absolute must or do you think a normal car and extra caution on the occasional snow day is sufficient for the typical Pittsburgh winter? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Unless you live somewhere out in the woods around here, I wouldn't bother.

The main terror about slippy city streets is the possibility that someone else will come barreling into you- and nothing is going to help with that.

Get a heavy enough car that will maintain its path on the street, and you'll be as safe as you are going to be- take public transport if its feasible and the weather is a bit iffy.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 PM

91 posts, read 131,969 times
I haven't driven Pittsburgh winters, but I've driven through more than 20 Michigan winters and only had 4wd or AWD for two of them. I spent several years commuting 20 miles before the snowplows came out in the morning in a Lumina sedan. With skill and patience any car you're familiar with, with good all-season tires, will get you through several inches of snow and ice.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
A fwd drive car with decent clearance from the ground + snow tires would be cheaper. Awd will only help you take off but not handle and stop.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 PM

146 posts, read 216,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlenoggin View Post
I haven't driven Pittsburgh winters, but I've driven through more than 20 Michigan winters and only had 4wd or AWD for two of them. I spent several years commuting 20 miles before the snowplows came out in the morning in a Lumina sedan. With skill and patience any car you're familiar with, with good all-season tires, will get you through several inches of snow and ice.
What part of Michigan? (I grew up in flat, flat, SE Mich.)

While I generally agree with you, terrain makes a big difference. When I moved to Appalachia after 6 years in Rochester, NY, I laughed when my new neighbor called as I was driving back from an out of town trip to warn me that it was "snowing heavily" (which turned out to be like 1.5 inches of snow). Because, hey, I was used to 6+ inches of snow a night in the winter! After sliding down a hill and almost plowing into an electrical substation, I wasn't laughing so much. Snow tires helped tremendously, but I had to relearn to drive on snowy hills, something I'd never had to do.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
if you have hills to negotiate on non-bsy streets, and strict work start deadlines, I'd go AWD, coz winter might not be too bad, but on the other hand, it just might.

I need AWD on my mountain bike, methinks ...

Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
The WORRYING about the snow is worse than driving in it. Just buy a car you really want and can afford, don't buy one because you fear a few snowy days. I moved up here from Florida. I drive an old Mustang. That stupid RWD car has now been through 7 Pittsburgh winters, including the "Snowmageddon" year. I use snow tires in the winter months and have never had any problems driving in the snow. If a guy from Florida can manage up here in THAT car, ANYTHING you buy will do just fine. Especially if you throw some snow tires on it. I strongly recommend snow tires for a huge traction and confidence boost!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycorps View Post
Hi all, just wondering about how bad the winters get in Pittsburgh. I've lived in Pittsburgh for two years now and have gone though two winters. The first was very mild with not much snowfall, this past winter was in my opinion very bad with horrible weather conditions mostly every day. I work in a hospital and just started nursing school and am freaking out about the prospect of driving in the snow as calling off for snow just isn't acceptable when you work in healthcare. My car has just died and needs to be replaced so naturally I'm thinking an all wheel drive. However, before I pay upcharge for an AWD system and not to mention the increase gas bill, I'm trying to determine if its actually necessary. I would be kicking myself if I buy an AWD system and most winters are like the first one making it a waste of money. However, at the same time I don't want to be white knuckle driving next winter if this one is anything like the last. So what do you think? Do you have a AWD and find it an absolute must or do you think a normal car and extra caution on the occasional snow day is sufficient for the typical Pittsburgh winter? Thanks in advance!!!
You may not be emotionally equipped to live here. Last winter was fairly mild, but we really don't get that much snow to necessitate splurging for AWD.

Where did you move from? My wife came here from Florida in the early 2000s and struggled with that season for the first few years before finally adjusting.

I'll go with what other's have said: If you live in the city you don't need an all wheel drive, or even a heavier car. We just don't get that much snow, and the city does a good job of keeping the roads clear. Give yourself plenty of time, drive slowly, and you'll slowly acclimate/learn how to drive on snow to where it won't be that big of a deal.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
The WORRYING about the snow is worse than driving in it. Just buy a car you really want and can afford, don't buy one because you fear a few snowy days. I moved up here from Florida. I drive an old Mustang. That stupid RWD car has now been through 7 Pittsburgh winters, including the "Snowmageddon" year. I use snow tires in the winter months and have never had any problems driving in the snow. If a guy from Florida can manage up here in THAT car, ANYTHING you buy will do just fine. Especially if you throw some snow tires on it. I strongly recommend snow tires for a huge traction and confidence boost!
My wife has this 4 cylinder manual transmission pickup truck that she brought up when she moved. It isn't good for anything other than hauling a little drywall or furniture, and its crap for snow which made her inexperience worse. We used to buy sandbags from Lowe's just to toss in the bed to weigh the thing down during the winter months.

She still talks about one time when we were in her vehicle in Squirrel Hill and lost control coming down a hill. Very slow slide, but she is freaking out. She was stunned when I nonchalantly looked at her and said "Its ok, we're going to come to a stop before we hit anything", and sure enough we did. Most of the difficulty that people have driving on snow is the fear of it.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
I've found that I've never really needed my awd too much on the roads around here but I have needed it greatly on my alleys. They tend to be pitched steeply and in bad repair in good weather. In bad weather, they tend to get ignored by road crews. There were times when I was the only car able to get up into our alley in Sheraden, including a number of larger vehicles. It was important since parking was at a premium in our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh