Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,998,041 times

Advertisements

I love Turtle Creek, but #3 sounds more your style. Restoration is your thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:03 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
Are you planning on keeping your current house? If you're renting it out, that's another reason to stay in Stowe.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Also, you're gay. I'm gay. I don't exactly envision Turtle Creek as housing a dense concentration of LGBT individuals hand-holding and skipping down the street. The Mexican War Streets are well-known to be very gay-friendly. I'm presuming you'll want to continue dating. Would you really want to drive from work in Lincoln-Lemington to home in Turtle Creek and then back to the city AGAIN to date? 100% of our gay and lesbian friends live in the city proper---Garfield, Shadyside, Greenfield, Central North Side, Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, and Mt. Washington.
TBH, the further away I am from other gay people, the happier I'll be. The gay scene makes me physically ill, but you know, as a gay man I do tolerate it, and I am part of it, I suppose. I am just happiest when I am not thinking about dating. If I am too far from the dating spots and bars to actually be tempted to go there, that is a plus. lol.

But you're wrong about 100% of gay people being in the city. I have many gay neighbors in Stowe and McKees Rocks. Most of them fly under the radar - you don't see them on places like Grindr. They are an older, less flashy generation.

Also, I used to live in the East Pittsburgh / Chalfant area, around the corner from Turtle Creek, and loved it over there. I also love how secluded Spring Hill is up on that hill, while still being walkable (a long walk) to town.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Are you planning on keeping your current house? If you're renting it out, that's another reason to stay in Stowe.
I sold it. I have about 3 months to find a new house and move. And I'm having a ton of fun looking.

Maybe restoration is my thing. I guess I never thought about it before. I restored (partially) my last house because I had no choice. It was all I could afford at the time. If I could have bought a beautiful house that was already done, I bet I would have. lol. I do love seeing historic homes saved. I feel like all three of these houses would be better off in my hands, than as rentals, etc.

Thanks for all of your thoughts! I have a lot to think about.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 09-02-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Come on man, go for option 2! Option 1 will never measure up, and the hardest thing to get back in restoration is the original trim, which you say is missing from option 3. Not to mention driveway and garage.

I've been reading your posts on here for a long time. You're way too cautious to ever overextend yourself even with a mortgage. You'll be fine. Option 2 is going to make you happiest and most satisfied, and least likely to again be looking for another house in a few years. You're going to really love that place, you've been through enough other things that you already know what you really like. It'll be totally worth the mortgage.

You only live once.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,630,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Come on man, go for option 2! Option 1 will never measure up, and the hardest thing to get back in restoration is the original trim, which you say is missing from option 3. Not to mention driveway and garage.

I've been reading your posts on here for a long time. You're way too cautious to ever overextend yourself even with a mortgage. You'll be fine. Option 2 is going to make you happiest and most satisfied, and least likely to again be looking for another house in a few years. You're going to really love that place, you've been through enough other things that you already know what you really like. It'll be totally worth the mortgage.

You only live once.
ITA. And something tells me you are a valued employee who is not likely to be unemployed. You can make a good size down payment and have your payment very low and payed off early. Whatever you do---enjoy!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Maybe restoration is my thing.
It sounds like the bungalow still needs to be restored too.

Since you like all of the areas equally, it's going to be a tough decision.

I'm looking forward to hearing which one you pick!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,341,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

You only live once.
PP, I have to go with Greg on this one. As I was reading through the thread, this was the thought (in bold above) that kept coming to mind. When the original trim is gone, it's GONE. It's not like you will be removing poorly chosen wall paper, or stripping paint. Apparently, you will have to re-create trim, finishes, glass, and brick work that have disappeared. That will be far costlier than a mortgage.

After that, while I lean towards #2, I don't know the neighborhoods, I have not seen pictures of the houses, nor do I know how overly cautious you are regarding a mortgage.

When it comes to old houses, in your heart you will want the real deal. An original old house. Be the protector of your own house, and find other ways to be a rescuer and crusader for houses that may, or may not be recoverable.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I would have plenty of money to pay the mortgage payment and have plenty left over. I just think of it from the perspective of "what if" I lose my job, etc.
What is the likelihood of this happening? Is your place of employment letting people go? Are you in the habit of losing jobs?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM

I work in social services. I have seen people get fired for dumb things, and I have seen many people get laid off after budget cuts. So you never know what is in the future. The economy sucks and social services often get cut. It's also sort of a thankless field to work in. I have a very good employment history, but I remember having great difficulty finding jobs in the past. I've never been fired, but I have been laid off.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 09-02-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh