Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCaseIII View Post
Why is littering so much worse in PA than other states? Is it because police never do anything about it but in other places they do? Why is there no social pressure against it in Pittsburgh like there is in other places?
Is it? Really? I was in downtown SFO last week and that was very messy - I ran around lots of areas. I saw more empty beer cans and junk than I ever dreamed riding my bike along the roads of rural Eastern WA. C'mon folks, such subjective discussions are really a waste of finger activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCaseIII View Post
Why is littering so much worse in PA than other states? Is it because police never do anything about it but in other places they do? Why is there no social pressure against it in Pittsburgh like there is in other places?
The people I see litter the most are the pickup truck drivers with stuff blowing out of their truck beds and low income people in the crappy areas. I have cleaned the Highland Park Bridges sidewalk a few times and it is filled again with garbage. Some of the worst areas I have seen are Negley Run and Allegheny River Blvd, but to be honest there really isn't a clean area around here. Such a contrast to Colorado and Florida. I guess it is our culture here.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Littering is part of this area's "I don't give a f*ck" attitude towards many things.

- I'll drive however I want, my time is more important than yours. IDGAF
- Someone else will pick it up. IDGAF
- Why should I say please, thank you, and smile at strangers? IDGAF
- I'm going down to the South Side and getting plastered beyond belief and maybe start a fight. IDGAF
- Dress fashionable? IDGAF

etc.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
- I'll drive however I want, my time is more important than yours. IDGAF
- Someone else will pick it up. IDGAF
- Why should I say please, thank you, and smile at strangers? IDGAF
- I'm going down to the South Side and getting plastered beyond belief and maybe start a fight. IDGAF
- Dress fashionable? IDGAF
Maybe expecting others to dress better so you are less put off by looking at them is a bit different than the other things on that list.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Maybe expecting others to dress better so you are less put off by looking at them is a bit different than the other things on that list.
That's a bit of a stretch from what I typed no? Talk about out of left field, perhaps you are projecting a bit.

Just making observations of the attitudes in this area.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
That's a bit of a stretch from what I typed no? Talk about out of left field, perhaps you are projecting a bit.
I'm dressed in a very nice plaid pants/blue oxford combo, if that's what you're getting at. I'm business casual personified.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm dressed in a very nice plaid pants/blue oxford combo, if that's what you're getting at. I'm business casual personified.
The coolest of stories, bro.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The people I see litter the most are the pickup truck drivers with stuff blowing out of their truck beds.
Ah yes - another chance for h_curtis to mention the dreaded pickup truck drivers. I am driving my pickup right now with nobody inside and nothing in the bed but fast food wrappers...

Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The people I see litter the most are the pickup truck drivers with stuff blowing out of their truck beds and low income people in the crappy areas. I have cleaned the Highland Park Bridges sidewalk a few times and it is filled again with garbage. Some of the worst areas I have seen are Negley Run and Allegheny River Blvd, but to be honest there really isn't a clean area around here. Such a contrast to Colorado and Florida. I guess it is our culture here.

The people I see litter the most are those in 'high-end' foreign vehicles who obviously think they are better than everyone else in the world and someone else should pick up their trash... I bet most of them live in Fox Chapel.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
It goes on. Paddled the Yough yesterday around Perryopolis. There was a private access point there littered with beer bottles and trash. The river was littered the whole way with discarded tires. On a positive note, the scenery was outright gorgeous. I guess that is something I am just going to have to get used to. The Leave No Trace thing isn't too big here. Beautiful Appalachian scenery mixed with litter. Could be worse. Next week, look forward to exploring Ohiopyle and the Laurel Highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh